The Glorious 12th of July

All aboard the BBC bandwagon. I’m looking forward to the report from Cullybackey. Gas cunts.

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder. I nearly got caught out by the early start.

Plenty of Leitrim brethren I’m sure in Enniskillen for @anon67715551 to wave at

1 Like

Holly Bullock understandably excited about being part of the Women’s Lodge for the Enniskillen demonstration.

After starting in 1923, it became defunct but started up again in February this year.

I think we can all agree that the resurgence among women orangemen is both a very welcome side effect of the pandemic finally coming under control, and superb example of gender diversity.

2 Likes

Looks like a lovely day out in Bushmills. Superb musicianship.

2 Likes

That’s a long day marching in Belfast, 6 miles.

I hate to be as abrupt as this but there’d be f**k of their Leitrim brethren in Enniskillen today. The few that are readily identifiable staggered to Rossnowlagh the other day and won’t tog out again till next year.

As for the point of waving at them - yes, yes I would, but I’m afraid it’d be the trusty pitchfork.

I’m sure the more serious brethren don’t like the marchers waving to the crowd

They’re a nuts bunch

Is Walter Love involved in coverage this year?

“If only young prods up north were as enthusiastic about the twelfth as middle-aged taigs down south”

Rev. Rex Walters, Cloughmills

Good to see such a strong Scottish presence in Belfast. As Grand Master of Scotland Jim McHarg says, it’s easy for Scots to be friends with the people of Northern Ireland.

I imagine the name of Andy Goram will be uppermost in the minds of Scottish visitors. The Goalie would have been in his element in Belfast today.

Sadly it appears Walter Love is not on commentary duty this year, which is worrying.

Glenane Lodge doing great work planting trees

1 Like

What a job Glennane Crown Prince Lodge 133 have done revitalising that area of forest into a beautiful woodland park for the whole community.

Lovely feature on drum majors here. That’s going to be some battle when young Kathryn McKeown competes against her mum in the world championship in August.

Nope. Just saying that it isn’t fair to say they didn’t face danger. There was a deliberate targeting of where they worked- this subsided soon after but who was to know it would stay like that?

Has Mervyn Jess taken over from Walter Love?

Mervyn Jess and Dr. David Hume are in Limavady as the big day returns for the first time since 2016.

Lovely explanation by Mervyn of the Irish language origin of the town’s name - lĂ©im a bhadai - leap away from danger, or leap away from the baddies.

Limavady as has been noted is as close as we get to Londonderry today. August is really the month for the big cultural celebrations in Londonderry.

Walter presents Jazz Club on BBC Radio Ulster each Sunday night but lately I’ve been noticing that the programmes have been repeats. I think the one on Sunday June 5th was last original programme. I thought he might be back for the big day today but alas it appears not. At 87 you’d have to have to be worried about any such absence.

Whatever the truth, BBC need to be grooming Walter’s successor. Mervyn is dooing well here but I’d like to see BBC’s “voice of bowls” David Corkill being given a go in the role. He has just the right timbre for The Twelfth.

3 Likes

I never knew that the dog whose leap it is named after was a dangerous one.

Good explanation of there of how partition a century ago created huge difficulties for brethren in the newly created south.

It’s a terrible shame Rossnowlagh is the only Eire demonstration. Always a lovely family atmosphere by the seaside.

How did tge Drumcree march go? Did they march back along Garvaghy Road as is tradition?