The good climate news Thread, what diesel cage should I buy -wtf?

The amazon and LEDs are great news.

The German one is a bit of a twist of the truth, so let’s hope the others aren’t as well.

congrats everyone - times up fossil fuels

1 Like

I thought we were at the beginning of the end of fossil fuels 50 years ago?

yes, i can confirm that you did think that

Fossil fuels keep changing. What was once a fossil fuel might no longer be one depending on what the Germans say.
It’s gas really…

2 Likes

Germany had an excellent source of cheap, clean natural gas…but now they’re starting to mine coal again

Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF

Germany Achieves Record 57.7% Renewable Energy Share in Net Power Generation for First Half of 2023, Fraunhofer Study Finds - SolarQuarter

No wonder their industry is freefall and their economy in recession.

1 Like

We should be swapping over and back. Treat the grid as a whole

1 Like

A little advice cc @carryharry and others.
If I were to purchase a car suitable for Ireland, what would you suggest?
I’ll probably purchase on the mainland.
I don’t care about what it looks like.
I usent care about the inside either, but my bro has a BMW X5 M5 which I drove back to the mainland for him, and I was half as tired as usual, so it was nice being high up. My pal has a Volvo SUV hybrid, big yolk which was lovely also. Want to keep the road tax and environmental costs to a minimum.
Would I be better waiting for a solid state battery, and run the Jag until then, or get summat now? Will have PV panels on the house in Ireland so power should be clean and free.

You are possibly aware already, but seeing as you are resident in the UK it’s worth bearing in mind that if you have the car in the UK for at least six months you won’t have to pay VRT when importing which could be a nice saving depending on what you buy.

2 Likes

@admins - im not sure the opening poster this thread ending up being a discussion about VRT savings

please out a thread ban on the last 2 posters & @padjo

1 Like

Surely swapping an ice for an electric or hybrid is good climate news??

Electric.

How long does it take to charge an electric car with solar panels?

To calculate the charging time of an electric car using solar panels, several factors come into play, including the electric car’s battery size and the voltage of the solar panels. For the purpose of this example, let’s consider the average car battery size, which is approximately 54 kWh, and the average domestic solar installation, which is around 4 kW. A solar panel of this size typically generates 3,400 kWh per year, equivalent to 9 kWh per day.

Based on this calculation, it would take approximately six 4 kW solar panels to fully charge an electric car battery in a day. However, it’s important to note that the average driver travels about 37 miles per day, which translates to roughly 12 kWh of electricity. Considering this, it’s unlikely that you would need to charge your electric car for the entire day or until the battery reaches its maximum capacity.

Most solar panel systems consist of around 25 to 30 solar panels, which means the actual charging time required in a day would be significantly less than a full day. The excess energy generated by the solar panels can be used for other purposes or can be stored in batteries for later use, further optimizing the charging process.

Was thinking electric really. Other option is just keep herselfs Audi til it claps out but may lose the opportunity to import then