The Grand National - The Blue Riband of Horse Racing

With this Cheltenham nonsense now over, attention can now turn to the big one in three weeks’ time. The People’s Race promises to be as exciting as ever. The 40 best horses in jump racing will go to post, and each one will realistically think they have a chance of victory - the strength in depth of the field is unrivalled.

New sponsors Crabbie’s have provided a historically high prize fund - this will be the first ever £1m race and the cheque which the winner picks up will be sure to keep them in Polo mints for the rest of their days.

The question on everybody’s lips is: will today’s Cheltenham Gold Cup winner Lord Windermere decide to make the step up in class for the big one? Consultations between owner Dr. Ronan Lambe, trainer Jim Culloty, jockey Davy Russell and the horse himself will no doubt take place as to whether the horse is good enough. The Windermere camp should be aware however that the last Cheltenham winner that accepted the challenge, Synchronized, ended up in the meat processing plant that evening. This is serious business.

Last year’s winner Aurora’s Encore will be hoping for an encore performance but no horse has won two in a row since Red Rum - it just shows how difficult it is to retain the title against such a strong field.

Aintree will as ever play host to the race - the race is etched in the rich folklore of the city of Liverpool and with the league title on course to return to Merseyside for the first time in 24 years there should be a carnival atmosphere there that weekend.

I’ll be venturing into my local bookies’ shop for the first time since last year’s race, and I’m certainly looking forward to that. I hope whichever horse’s name I stick a pin in that Saturday lunchtime will be the name engraved on the famous old trophy this year.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 916756, member: 183”]With this Cheltenham nonsense now over, attention can now turn to the big one in three weeks’ time. The People’s Race promises to be as exciting as ever. The 40 best horses in jump racing will go to post, and each one will realistically think they have a chance of victory - the strength in depth of the field is unrivalled.

New sponsors Crabbie’s have provided a historically high prize fund - this will be the first ever £1m race and the cheque which the winner picks up will be sure to keep them in Polo mints for the rest of their days.

The question on everybody’s lips is: will today’s Cheltenham Gold Cup winner Lord Windermere decide to make the step up in class for the big one? Consultations between owner Dr. Ronan Lambe, trainer Jim Culloty, jockey Davy Russell and the horse himself will no doubt take place as to whether the horse is good enough. The Windermere camp should be aware however that the last Cheltenham winner that accepted the challenge, Synchronized, ended up in the meat processing plant that evening. This is serious business.

Last year’s winner Aurora’s Encore will be hoping for an encore performance but no horse has won two in a row since Red Rum - it just shows how difficult it is to retain the title against such a strong field.

Aintree will as ever play host to the race - the race is etched in the rich folklore of the city of Liverpool and with the league title on course to return to Merseyside for the first time in 24 years there should be a carnival atmosphere there that weekend.

I’ll be venturing into my local bookies’ shop for the first time since last year’s race, and I’m certainly looking forward to that. I hope whichever horse’s name I stick a pin in that Saturday lunchtime will be the name engraved on the famous old trophy this year.[/quote]

FOAD you creep.

This is a thread for those of us who love the world’s greatest race, and it’s disappointing that you have nothing constructive to add to it.

Riband?

There’s so many factual inaccuracies in that post I don’t even know where to start.

Are you Paul Carberry?

Id suggest a 5 ew on pineau de rea @ 50/1, will way outrun that price

For fucks sake. The Blue Riband?? Just like Cheltenhams Olympics of Racing? In how many other sports do the chief activists get a bullet in the skull as a reward for breaking a bone because of the excessive walloping by a dwarf on its back while jumping over impossible fences? Nothing but a shower of money hungry west brit cunts.

Just four days to go now and the excitement is really building on Merseyside and everywhere else.

With Liverpool’s remarkable renaissance this season, I’m tipping outsider Walkon (50/1) to tap into the spirit of the times and win the People’s Race.

However it could well come down to a photo finish with Night in Milan (40/1) and One in a Milan (66/1). Real shades of Istanbul 2005 about this race.

Manchester United followers will no doubt be lumping on Lost Glory (66/1) but I can’t see him make much of an impression - 7th is about the best he could hope for, I think. I’m confident his rider will not be unseated whatever happens, though.

Yes Riband

My shortlist-
Monbeg Dude 16-1
Night In Milan 40-1
Teaforthree 8-1
Lion Na Bernai 33-1

I’ll fucking end you @ciarancareyshurlingarmy !

That simpleton @theLockes presumably thought “ribbon” was the term to use here.

Fucking boggers :smiley:

That must be the fourth one in the past few days :eek:

I know, I just fly through posts with scant regard for anything. I’m a devil. If you are going to keep hounding me though, I am going to have check each and every post before publishing… Cunt.

I thought you would be on top of the world with the Anfield steamroller. Disappointed to see some edginess creeping in.

If a word could ever describe me, it would be edgy, pal.

How many horseys will die at the event this year? Does Paddy take a book on that?

I hope I don’t have to listen to any of the dwarves in garish uniforms on the TV over the next few weeks.

Alvarado got my money at 40/1.

Won at Cheltenham in November over 3m 4f so should be okay over the distance. Jockey Paul Maloney has been in the first four every year since 2009.