Congrats @habanerocat

2 Likes

Congratulations @habanerocat

1 Like

:clap::clap::clap:

:smiley::smiley::smiley::clap:

Congrats @iron_mike

1 Like

Thanks lads. I wasnā€™t expecting that response to be honest. I wonā€™t thanks ye all individually.

They were expecting a boy but it turned out to be a girl, so the wife is now running around trying to match things up. Busy times ahead I supposeā€¦

Reminds me of a lad I used coach teams with years ago. Met him in The Jetland one afternoon. He looked bet. ā€œWhatā€™s up Joeā€ says I. ā€œFecking grand-kidsā€, he says. He had to get out of the house and had nowhere else to go. They were minding the grand-kids after school each day and of course got caught with the homework. He worked high up in the IDA and the wife was a bank branch manager, but obviously primary school maths or the cĆŗpla focal was getting the better of them.

8 Likes

Young grandparents, thats the key. Although Iā€™m not sure its right having them acting as childcare, but each to their own if its suits.

Thanks, weā€™ll try keep a limit on it. What is it, four max?

1 Like

My parents were young grandparents. Weā€™d have been lost without them. They gave us a big chance in life by providing that same free childcare.
But I think I hear you @myboyblue, ā€˜parentingā€™ issues arose. Took a lot of diplomacy at times to keep peace.
A trick for you to learn @habanerocat is know when to hand them back and shut the door behind them :slight_smile:

1 Like

As the mother in law used say.

ā€œI love to see ye coming but love to see ye going away even moreā€ā€¦

1 Like

Congratulations on your news, I thought you were younger to be honest.
The homework is a pain in the arse, itā€™s not that it gets the better of you, although Iā€™d say a lot of lads here would struggle with 5th class maths, itā€™s trying to help the little ones to understand, itā€™s easier to do it for them :man_shrugging:

Iā€™ve seen/heard a bit of talk lately on homework being anachronistic. That 6 or 7 hours of lessons in school daily is enough and time outside school should be left for hobbies/family etc. Homework at secondary school level is essentially tacking on 2-3 hours of overtime and I think thatā€™s over the top for children. I reckon homework should be discontinued, and that will benefit @habanerocat too in the long run.

4 Likes

I fucking hated homework. Iā€™d rather not do it and get a bollocking from the teacher

I certainly wouldnā€™t have remembered everything we did in class though and found studying at home to be invaluable once I got to second level. Study and practice of exam style questions is imperative for secondary school students. Maybe study should take precedence to actual homework.

You wont have to worry much about homework if you send your lads to an educate together.

9 Likes

That comes across as a (friendly?!) warning. :anguished:

1 Like

Educate Together secondary schools, any thoughts?

Congratulations @habanerocat.