Jason Ryan
Ian McGeechan

Mickey Harte.

Ya, like his wife getting cancer. What a cretin :rolleyes:

Ya, like his wife getting cancer. What a cretin :rolleyes:

You can say that again.

EPL runt yet again won’t hear a bad word said about one of his EPL heroes

http://images.wikia.com/coronationstreet/images/0/0f/Regholdsworth.JPG

O’Neill certainly did a good job at Celtic but was extremely fortunate in the players he inherited - Larsson. Lambert, Petrov, Mjallby, McNamara, Moravcik -[font=“Times New Roman”][size=“3”][color="#000000"] [/size][/font]Celtic actually recruited very well in the period before he came in. He didn’t sign a decent player in his last two years at Celtic bar getting Bellamy on loan.

Strachan had to totally dismantle and rebulld the team within a year. He did two things O’Neill failed to do - won three in a row and reached the last 16 of the Champions’ League - twice.

On the stats alone Strachan’s record is probably slightly better. O’Neill is remembered with more fondness than Strachan by Celtic supporters because of largely intangible factors - the passion he showed and the general feeling of optimism he brought to the club. Strachan was never able to bring that same feeling of optimism. I’d argue that was largely down to factors outside his control.

Yeah there were some excellent signings made in the years before O’Neill and even though some left before he joined he inherited a strong squad. But you’re right on the optimism. There was no real belief or confidence in that group of players or in the club as a whole when he took over and he moulded them into a really good side.

The Champions League thing can be looked at a couple of ways - Strachan never got more points in a group stage than O’Neill did so you could say he had more fortune. That’s not to take away from what Strachan achieved (or the rebuilding job he had to do) but O’Neill made Celtic a very credible force in Europe again.

You just can’t beat his passion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SVpwFMd0OY

Strachan’s football was dirge, he won two titles by default due to shambles the huns were in under McLeish and Le Guen. He was handed another one by the huns with their Uefa Cup run and then shit his pants the next season. He was stubborn as a mule and stifled talent, he alienated most of our talented players in favour of British workhorses. He also didn’t help himself with his arrogant and condescending quips at the fans. He was an extremely lucky manager. Since O’Neill left no Celtic side has amassed as many points in a league season as we did in any of his five season - six seasons later, we probably will do it this season. He lost two titles by a goal and a point - both seasons where there were some ridiculous refereeing decisions against us.

We also got much tougher groups in the CL under O’Neill and narrowly missed out twice on CL last 16. We actually took games to the top European teams back then, with Strachan we just looked to Boruc to play the part of Superman and Nakamura to come up with some excellent set plays.

Strachan was an utter cunt and was a failure as a manager at Boro, Southampton and Coventry. Anyone would have won the first two titles he collected and his final title was thrown away by the huns.He also presided over two of the biggest embarrassments in our recent history.

You consider Strachan a cunt, I don’t. Strachan certainly wasn’t a failure at Southampton - he brought them to an FA Cup Final and they played some excellent football under him.

I certainly do consider Strachan a cunt, a clown who brought shit huns to the club, played shit football with a shit rigid 4-4-2, alienated talented players like Donati, Gravesen, McGeady, Jarosik etc. He made shit jokes when being asked serious questions and showed total disrespect to fans time and time again. When he left the club, the wage bill exceed what it had been under O’Neill, overall he set us back about 5 years, of which we’re only really recovering now.

Just looking back and imagining a side consisting of the likes of Telfer, Naylor, McManus, Pressley, Willo Flood, Caldwell, Robson, Hartley and McDonald sends shivers down my spine with a snidey, arrogant and condescending prick rolling out shit jokes rather than addressing poor performances…ARRRGGGHHHHH!!!

And further to that point Sid, O’Neill had fuck all to spend in his last two seasons at Celtic Park, the only fee we paid was 400k for Stephen Pearson. We should have been building on this success, I remember the banners at Celtic Park imploring the board to sanction funds. We didn’t but when Strachan came in we sanctioned funds for him to go and pay frivolous fees on average SPL players. A lot of abuse was labelled at O’Neill for leaving Celtic in a bad state it was far worse for Mowbray in 2009. He had a huge squad filled to the brim with SPL journeymen, little funds to spend. Mowbray was a disaster but Lennon should be grateful to him that he managed to weed some of Strachan’s deadwood out and that at the end of the 2009/2010 season that he could go about remodelling the Celtic side.

It was the utter waste under Strachan that led to us having to sell Boruc and McGeady at the beginning of last season to fund the rebuilding of the current side, while I’m very pleased with the job Lennon and John Park have done in assembling this side, it pains me as to what it would have been like if McGeady was available to us at the moment.

You were calling for “this joker to be handed his jotters” a few months ago Totti

Yes, I have changed my mind in light of recent events, Neil has done well to steer this ship around, he himself admitted he was close to walking away earlier this season. Strachan was a terrible manager who got very, very lucky and treated the fans with disdain, he’s not fondly remembered by a sizeable amount of the Celtic support. O’Neill was the polar opposite when it came to luck IMO, faced with an ageing squad with the likes of Sutton, Agathe, Mjallby and Valgaeren becoming more and more susceptible to injury, with no money to spend, and two of his better youth products struck down with serious injuries (Maloney and Kennedy), he did well to get as much out of that side in the last season as he did. In fact we would have won it if that cunt Hugh Dallas & the hun linesman hadn’t handed the huns one of the most ridiculous penalties in the dying minutes that night in Tynecastle.

He would have lost out to Harry Redknapp anyway. Harry’s record pisses all over the Ulsterman.

MON is a great man for getting hope back into a football club and is a fine communicator/PR man. Lacks the necessary smarts to be anything close to a great football manager. It always surprises me how popular he still is with Glasgow Celtic supporters. Tried to walk out on the club to go to Leeds and nothing more than a decent record in terms of results, conspiracies aside.

Croppy is right about the wage thing aswell. If Sunderland let him lose with the chequebook, they will pay for it big time.

:lol: dont think he was the only one

:lol: serious case of the ulster says no going on here.

Quiet day at work here lads so I was messing about with the calculator and working out the net spends of the past 4 Celtic managers.

In his five seasons at the club, O’Neill had a net spend of £17.975m, which converts into £3.595m a season, one of the criticisms labelled at him was that the wage bill was excessive when he left.

In Strachan’s four seasons at the club, he had a net spend of £15.88m, which converts into £3.97m a season. The wage bill increased even further under Strachan.

In Mowbray’s sole season at the club we had a net spend of £1.8m, however the wage bill drastically decreased during that season.

In Lennon’s two seasons at the club, we have had a net surplus on transfers of £4.95m, working out at £2.475m a season and the wage bill has been reduced even further.

Brendan Rodgers
Harry Redknapp

I think Gus Poyet is going to be a cracking manager.