The size of Mary lou

2008 - Mary Harney and Fianna Fáil agree to send Irish Women’s cervical tests to the US when an HSE administrator confirms it is the best decision even though three or more medically qualified Doctors say it is wrong and will cost lives.

1 Like

Consultants in 2007/2008 told the Irish Government they are not hitting the mark.
The US firm is not catching what we are catching!

They still fucking outsourced the smear tests!!

This is a fucking scandal

1 Like

Fianna Fáil will absolutely run a candidate in West Tyrone next time - scare Sinn Fein.

Definitely getting ready to run candidates and if they win they will cross their fingers behind their back going into Westminster (at least that’s what Thomas Byrne said)

1 Like

So even though the success rate of detecting Cervical cancer was better and experts resigned from the committee cos they wouldn’t agree with the outsourcing, Fianna Fail and Mary Harney over ruled them and out sourced smear tests and caused the deaths today.

1 Like

The whole concept of outsourcing something as important as cervical cancer testing to another country is mindboggling. It’s been known for decades how dangerous this cancer is as its symptomless until it’s too late. What a shower of useless cunts that made this decision.

2 Likes

A fucking administrator disregards Medical personal and experts and ignores patient safety only to be over ruled by Mary Harney and Fianna Fail…

1 Like

MARY HARNEY AND FIANNA FAIL HAVE BLOOD ON THEIR HANDS.

Beidh Ar La Linn

John crown was on the LLS last night on this topic. He was too polite to say so but he was one of consultants who opposed the outsource at the time I believe. He was very measured on the topic really but he was v clear on the future of HSE, rip it apart, failed experiment, time to move on.

There was a point made in the discussion around the outsource, that essentially the US checks were not as thorough as what had been carried out here before. For the simple reason they do annual tests in the US vs 3 yearly here. This was pointed out to the HSE at the time.

Also, he said that it was impossible to know if the detection rate in Ireland was better or worse than anywhere else because all agencies were not allowed share information due to data protection issues. Another issues that is known and hasnt been resolved. Worldwide detection rates mean that in every 1000 cases where smear is completed there will be 50 with incorrect outcomes, 25 of these will have been undetectable and the other 25 will have an element of human error. He is not confident that we can figure out where our cases sit due to the DPR issue.

V interesting discussion worth catching on player

2 Likes

So a 2.5% human error rate? You’d have a more challenging KPI than that for booking invoices.

1 Like

No doubt. Lot more variables I assume in health procedures but still seems high alright

I dont understand the data protection point, the statistics can be anonymous and shared.

Assume they didnt get permission to share when they obtained the info day 1. But I am surmising. It was John crown made the point

Its not necessarily stats either. The testing and final diagnosis may have happened in different places

1 Like

Susan Mitchell is a brilliant journalist .

1 Like

You would think they would be looking for 99.99%. But that would cost money.

I might be completely wrong but I think the focus of this outrage is all wrong. Mistakes were made in several cases over the years but when you consider they are doing something like 300,000 each year it’s only natural that their will be errors. Obviously that’s horrendous for those involved but until we have computers doing the work it’s a fact of life.
People are mad to deflect to this US Lab but the reason the whole thing was outsourced in the first place was it was taking 6 months for the Irish lab to give a result, which also endangered lives.
The scandal here is the cover up and absolutely everyone involved in it should not only be fired but jailed

4 Likes

Well thats a worldwide stat rather than Ireland so assume there are some outliers on either side of the curve

Exactly. I heard a time line during the week that it took two years or so for vicky Phelans doctor to be informed of the mistake, it then casually mentioned it was a year before she was told. What the fuck was that second hold up about

I dont even think she was told was she. Didnt she read her medical file when doc left his office or something

They’ve a right one down in Cork