The Joe Brolly owns your soul thread

Only lets kids with Irish names join and bans kids with a vowel as a last letter in their first name join.

So more Cians.

Less Anto’s.

1 Like

There has always been large underage systems at Cuala and Crokes. They have been providing free coaches to the local national schools as well for as long as I can remember. There’s been children of turfmunchers living in the capital putting them into those clubs for decades, as I said, it’s nothing really new.

Cuala getting better at hurling is down to better coaches there and Dublin putting lots of money in. Dublin are still mediocre at it though, 10 years on from when I started hearing that Dublin were a coming force.

I don’t see any appreciable increase in the GGA in the area versus other sports. Cuala and Crokes might be increasing with under 12s, but so are the other sports. DĂșn Laoighaire Rathdown’s population has grown at a greater rate than the rest of the country, so it makes sense. That the GGA don’t have the land and infrastructure to handle that in the area is down to their authorities not planning well enough.

Great anecdotes but again I will deal in facts.

Cuala membership has grown by five times since late 90s.

And rugby

According to Fergus Slattery in the anti rugby rag the Irish Times

"Generally speaking, across Ireland and Britain, rugby numbers are down 50 per cent in urban areas. Granted, a huge boon for Irish rugby is the increase in participation in rural areas.

I get invited on occasion to club dinners and lunches. The average age can be up around 65. I made a quip at one recently that there will be nobody attending these functions in 15 to 20 years time. On returning to my seat the host of the event, an old friend, looked at me angrily and stated: “How dare you suggest such a thing! There will be nobody at this lunch in three years time!” "

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/fergus-slattery-survival-of-amateur-rugby-is-a-real-concern-1.2542698%3Fmode%3Damp

Great anecdote there from Slats.

that never happened

It will be a sad day for hurling if a team full of Sneachtas and Uachar-Reoites win the Club All-Ireland. The thoughts of a D4 accent speaking Gaeilge while accepting an All Ireland hurling trophy makes me nauseous. A motion to disband the game at the next congress should be proposed if it comes to pass.

3 Likes

Mandatory helmets for adults makes no sense. The only case of a fatal head injury in hurling in my lifetime happened to a chap who got a bang on the head while wearing a helmet.

1 Like

99 per cent of eye injuries in hurling were found to occur in players not wearing helmets according to 2010 research by Cork University Hospital.
Reduction in head injuries from 28 per cent in 1984 to 7 per cent in 2010.

Protective gloves being mandatory would prevent hand fractures.

:neutral_face:
Not sure if serious.
To prevent eye injuries alone it’s worth it.

2 Likes

We had it last March . A bunch of latte sipping , panini eating guys from caherdavin won last year . A few Limerick 4 accents there .

The horse has bolted .

47 & 23 respectively.

Interesting article here for the Francophile rugby fans

Didn’t know where to put this but Enda Mcnulty being grilled by Sean O Rourke now.

1 Like

Fuckin spoofer

Whats the gist?

Gimme a pile a cash and I’ll make you a winner,but if you don’t win it won’t be my fault it’ll be yours

O Rourke softened him up to start with getting anecdotes of how he helped Sexton and BOD. McNulty was plugging his book. Then he got asking if he why he hung the armagh panel and didn’t get a game. Got on to Brolly criticism next but he refused to comment. Left it then

is mcnulty the Tony Quinn of the Millenials

You don’t deal in facts, evidenced by your poorly researched figures on Blackrock Rugby Club and Blackrock College.

Has Cuala grown? Of course, as evidenced by them needing more land, but five times? That’s utter shite. According to Cuala, they have 1200 children’s members. So they’re saying there were a few hundred back then. From living and actually playing against them, that’s nonsense. They’ve always had a few teams at each age level for under 12s, it isn’t a new thing. What constitutes a “member” changes all the time.

As for Fergus Slattery, I’ve been to his pre game AIL lunches (there was a table of us with hair and not greying) and it’s the same thing, bring back the Leinster League. Bring back the local derbies. His agenda.

I never denied that club rugby has struggled in some places and age levels in the last 10 years. I’ve written posts on it before, but it isn’t universal. Slatts comes from a time when Blackrock RFC were king in the area and most old Rock boys went there to keep playing. Blackrock struggled because once Rock boys started going elsewhere 15 years ago, their self image made them unattractive for some people from other local schools to play for. Other clubs have done very well. Youths club rugby is now an important pathway for player development (and not just schools), but Blackrock struggle there.

You are like that Japanese solider in the jungle in the 70s. We have moved on.