The Joe Brolly owns your soul thread

That Poacher lad lives himself alright. But all he is doing there is selling and naming games. Naming games is a huge help. Players know what to do quicker and they will eventually ask for games by name.

You know you have them then. Some of that stuff is necessary, fun and nd interesting.

I like Joe but what does he want? Senior clubs and did inter county managers to turn up andndndnd throw in the ball???

Brolly repeats on you more than a packet of Rancheros.

1 Like

Some things need repeating.

Joe will shortly run out of oul lads who died recently and got their jaw broke in a league game in Derry 35 years ago but laughed it off and went for pints after the game before going home to milk cows.

3 Likes

Do Dublin really only train twice a week until April? I find that difficult to believe.

They have varied their approach over the years.
But thatā€™s believable ya.

Kerry have never moved away from 2 mid week sessions

But I presume thatā€™s only collective sessions and theyā€™d meet up in smaller groups for gym or whatever a lot more than that?

Ah ya. No doubt about that.

But I know of teams meeting collectively 5 times a week

:clap:
Donā€™t forget that no matter what level of gbh they inflicted on the field, they were the nicest men youā€™d ever meet, and remained great pals with their victims, eye or no eye.

1 Like

I suppose the advantage that Dublin would have is that they can afford to have lads in smaller groups supervised by an S&C coach where other counties would need them to be altogether to afford it.

Agreed

Bang on

Thatā€™s what happens when your paying chancers by the session.

4 Likes

Is that a club team meeting 5 times a week ?

A fella should hardly see his wife 5 times a week .

But they all go to the same gym and only have 2 S&C.

All cavan and Meath players have access to exact same facility. Maybe other counties too.

Iā€™m being paid for 1-2-1 work by 2 county boards for individuals based in Cork. Neither top 6 teams.

So I think alot of it is over played.

Purely from an s&c point of view. Dublin are simply doing a far far better job over a longer period of time than pretty much anyone.

I have decent insight into Cork, Kerry, Tyrone and Tipp prep. And 2 other counties mentioned above. None of them to date are within an asses roar of Dublin .

In fact of the 2 players I work with in one county there was no strength training and in the other they have had the same 2 day program (which I have sameeen and is bordering dangerous) for 2 season since new manager came on board.

I have seen with my own eyes how behind cork and Kerry are. I have players telling me in detail what some other counties are doing. There is a pile of poor methods being used be they old school or missing the point and needs of Gaelic football. There is also very little integration of football and fitness.

So people can talk about advantages all they want but the counties do not help themselves either. The money some managers and their right hand man coach are getting for total shit is staggering. Absolutely staggering.

Dublin had the players and base athleticism to compete at a high level when gilroy came along. But every single year they have got physically better. They have good lads involved and they have good facilities. But anyone could mimic what they are doing with the right people. Anyone.
If your ability along res a football team is up to it after is another thing. But only Mayo have challenged them physically and they lack the forwards.

Kerry will be an interesting watch. They will have no excuses by 2019/20 if they let Joe Oā€™Connor in situ.

2 Likes

Yip.

Sure Davy had Wexford last year was it 21 out of 24 nights???

Wexford lads can confirm. But I was working with a Wexford footballer last year who told me about the hurlers. He was doing midweek 5 hour round trips on bantys demands.
Mental shit.

Joe Oā€™Connor was involved with Limerick hurling the last few years and I donā€™t think there was any improvement in their conditioning. If anything they were the worst Iā€™ve ever seen them last year. Now obviously I donā€™t know how much of it was down to him vs management etc.

2 Likes

Totally different role.

You are at the mercy of a manger (who I am led to believe was a little old school and not integrative, not to mention the shit that went before) who may in 2 training sessions un-do months of good work.

Also Limerick got steadily younger which can also effect things. And of course perception is and other thing.

His role for Kerry is a far different deal. He will have massive scope there to do his own thing.

Which worries me because they actually were/are wasting a generation of very decent footballers.

Limerick were in awful shape over the last two years - if it wasnt big guts and arses it was lads way over bulked like Lynch or Morrissey. Granted they were young but they were blown out of every physical exchange.

I wouldnā€™t blame him for the lads that were overweight thatā€™s down to them personally really. Agree on certain lads being over bulked thereā€™s a worrying downward performance trajectory the longer lads are involved in the county team the last few years. We are somehow making them worse than before :sweat_smile:
If some lads are overbulked then another cohort are featherweights being shoved off the ball with relative ease by the stronger teams