The Joe Brolly tells porkies thread

That’s a clamping.

5 Likes

Joe taking no prisoners here.

1 Like

Ah that’s outstanding!

Trevor was a mediocre journey man rugby player.
His buffoonery though where he led a mission to free Palestine :smile: or some such bullshit didn’t exactly work but it did create an opportunity for him to carve out a little number on radio.

1 Like

Easy pickings for a man like joe he’s swatting them away like flies

Kieran Shannon won’t back down from this. With a festive drink or 10 in one hand and phone in the other this will hopefully escalate.

Are you shannon? Post away don’t mind the ten drinks

Nasty partitionist slant from Poppy McGregor’s fans.

2 Likes

Both not one bit surprising.

I would say there is a big correlation between those who are fans of McGregor on here and those who want @Smark removed from the Celeb Spotting adjudicator role. Knuckle draggers

2 Likes

Konnor wil rod ure pipe.

2 Likes

:astonished:

:grin:

Brolly fairly savaged Kerry yesterday.

Any chance of sticking up the article or interview?

Joe Brolly: Croke Park was full of toothless simpletons with whiskers on their faces wearing dresses
A view of the Laochra entertainment performance after the Allianz Football League Final1
A view of the Laochra entertainment performance after the Allianz Football League Final
12 comments

Joe Brolly
01/05/2016 | 13:00
Watching the Laochra celebrations in Croke Park last Sunday reminded me of the episode of I’m Alan Partridge where Partridge meets two RTE executives to discuss a series they want to make on modern Ireland.

Partridge nods and says: “You know, I think the Irish are going through a major image change. I mean, the old image of Leprechauns, shamrocks, horses running through council estates, toothless simpletons, people with eyebrows on their cheeks, badly tarmacked drives in this country, men in platform shoes being arrested for bombings, lots of rocks, and Guinness. I think people in England are saying yes, dere’s more to Oireland dan dis.” Later, the topic turns to U2 and Partridge says: “I love that song Bloody Sunday. Really encapsulates the frustrations of a Sunday. You get up, you’ve got to read all the papers, all the kids running around, you’ve got to mow the lawn and wash the car . . . and you think to yourself, ‘Sunday, bloody Sunday’.”

1144043.jpg

With Laochra, the GAA went for a mix of Braveheart and The Quiet Man. Croke Park was full of toothless simpletons with whiskers on their faces wearing dresses, scowling and waving swords. We also had a cailĂ­n with long red hair singing. To cap it all, there was Bono, as Irish as a Luxembourg tax haven. A fortnight ago, our most celebrated rock singer appeared before the US senate and made a novel suggestion about how to deal with ISIL.

To incredulous laughter, he said using comedians like Amy Schumer and Sacha Baron Cohen to lampoon ISIL would work far better than airstrikes. “Don’t laugh” he said, “I think comedy should be deployed. I’m actually serious. If you laugh at them, when they’re goose-stepping down the street, it takes away their power. So, I’m quite seriously suggesting that the Senate send in Amy Schumer and Chris Rock and Sacha Baron Cohen, thank you.” Imagine Ali G appearing just as ISIL fighters in balaclavas are about to behead three US civilians and saying “Is it because dey is white?”

Promoted Articles

Top 10 Most Dangerous Dogs in the World
(World List)

Top 10 Cheapest and Awesome Gadgets You Can Get in 2016
(Love and Mind)
Recommended by
The most disappointing features of the Croke Park parody were the fact that the King of the Leprechauns didn’t make an appearance and grant everyone in the audience three wishes, and that Alan Partridge wasn’t asked to narrate it.

Earlier in the day, Tyrone confirmed the feeling that they might just be the second best team in the country. I was listening on the radio, the only bearable way to watch a Tyrone game. With 10 minutes to go and Cavan six points down, Tommy Carr, who could give Bono a run for his money, said, “This game could go either way.” With five minutes to go, he said, “I’m starting to get the feeling Cavan need a goal.” After the final whistle, he said, “In fairness, Cavan were never really in this game.”

2016-05-01_spo_20545354_I1.png

I watched the game later that night. It confirmed my view that Tyrone are close to an All-Ireland. They are very powerful, very quick, and very mean. They also have high quality skills and make very few mistakes. Most importantly, they have a chemistry that was missing for several years, until their run through the qualifiers last summer. Their system, with Colm Cavanagh as the gatekeeper, makes it virtually impossible to score a goal against them. As Peter Donnelly’s coaching has taken hold, they have finally found a good defence/attack balance.

I say they are close to an All-Ireland because only one team can win that. In the big game, Kerry, a bitter, mean-spirited team under Eamonn Fitzmaurice, threw everything they had at the All Blues. It was a must win game for them. This current Dublin team has banished the old Kerry condescension. The days when the league was something to let other teams win before Kerry came up in September and put manners on the rest are a relic of the pre-Gavin era. Kerry fought for this as though their lives depended on it, which in a way they did. Aidan O’Mahony was as thuggish as ever. Shane Enright the same. A couple of Dubs were very lucky not to have been seriously injured.

As is customary under Fitzmaurice, Kerry dragged and pulled and fouled and blocked up the central column. The All Blues weren’t in the slightest bit fazed. They just kept blitzing them at high speed from all angles, until Kerry’s mean spirit was broken.

1144019 (Read-Only).png

Afterwards, Fitzmaurice whinged to the press corps that, “Kieran Donaghy was basically raped and pillaged and the ref did nothing.” Which was almost as funny as Bono’s contributions at the US senate. In the 2014 final, Kerry put a saddle on Michael Murphy and rode him round Croke Park. The difference was that Donegal, and Michael, sucked it up.

Afterwards, Jim McGuinness never even mentioned it, even though the raping and pillaging of Murphy (to borrow Fitzmaurice’s delicate phrase) was what won Kerry the game. “Kieran can’t buy a free,” Fitzmaurice said, as the press corps tried to keep a straight face. Their minds were no doubt wandering back to the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick a few years ago where Kieran bought a whole batch of frees at knockdown prices against Mayo in the All-Ireland semi-final replay. No Eamonn, it won’t wash. Not that it’s relevant, but you were beaten by 11 points. And if Dean Rock had gone for goal from the penalty it would have been 13.

On the face of it, it might look as though it was neck and neck coming into the final quarter. That is a misinterpretation of reality. By the hour mark in Kerry-Dublin matches these days, Kerry have cracked and Dublin are ready to smash them up. So, in the final ten minutes, Dublin scored 2-3 to Kerry’s 0-0. It has become a familiar pattern in big games between the two.

There are two things to think of: Kerry’s blanket defence works superbly against almost everyone else but only partially against the Dubs. The blanket makes it very difficult for the opposition to score, but it’s real purpose is to mentally drain the opponent and cause them to lose heart, which will only happen if you can score decisively on the counter-attack. A classic example is Donegal v the Dubs in the 2014 semi-final. You endure, then puncture the opponent on the counter. Against Dublin these days, Kerry are simply enduring. They are, if you like, keeping the score down.

2015-04-14_spo_8593399_I1.png

Because Dublin defend brilliantly man to man, and like Kilkenny hurlers they can all win their own battles, they only need one sweeper and in Cian O’Sullivan they not only have the game’s best reader, but probably also its best defender. Of the Kerry forwards, only Donaghy poses a danger to them, so they put a saddle on him. The other big name Kerry forwards aren’t big names to this Dublin crew.

They simply swallow up Colm Who and Darran Who and I can’t remember the names of the other ones type of thing. All of which means the Dubs can constantly commit numbers to the attack. Unlike, say, Donegal they are not robbing their attack to shore up their defence, which allows them to maintain a brilliant defence/attack balance. Their astonishing athleticism all over the field allows them to attack, attack, attack. Before the sending off, Dublin had already had over 50 per cent more attacks than Kerry. Kerry, like all their opponents, were shovelling out the tide with a pitchfork.

Donegal’s ambush in 2014 has made the Dubs unbeatable. Like The Borg, they have now assimilated all known forms of football. It was a Bloody Sunday for Kerry and it won’t get any better.

As for the GAA, if we keep going the way we are, we will soon be as Oirish as Bono.

7 Likes

A borg reference, fuck me it doesn’t get better than that :clap:

2 Likes

Ah yeah but James O’Donaghue will be back to win them the All Ireland in September, so I have been told by those in the know. :slight_smile:

He has the Armagh lads seething.

1 Like

Brolly was spot on last sunday

2 Likes