The Joe Brolly tells porkies thread

Giving your chauffeur a big promotion isn’t the same as giving a stranger your kidney

Cancel him with a noose

I hope you are kidding?
That venal trough snouter ??

What a photo opp for mutt and jeff.

I feel sorry for the The Sunday Game pundits, but even more sorry for the audience

Joe Brolly

Real, charismatic, dramatic, irritated, passionate, happy, unhappy: The TNT panel shows RTÉ how sports punditry should be done1

Real, charismatic, dramatic, irritated, passionate, happy, unhappy: The TNT panel shows RTÉ how sports punditry should be done

May 15 2022 12:17 AM

JosĂ© Alvarado, point guard for the New Orleans Pelicans, was making his debut on TNT’s flagship NBA programme last week. They had him on the virtual court demonstrating something and before he departed, the panel shot a few questions his way.

After a few stock responses to Ernie Johnson’s questions (“It’s been a privilege to play with my team mates,” “I’m so grateful to be healthy and enjoying the game”), Shaquille O’Neal, the retired 7’2” basketball legend and resident pundit, stopped him in his tracks.

“JosĂ©. Next time Ernie asks you a question don’t be coming in here with those corporate answers. Relax man. Relax.” The panel laughed and joked. JosĂ© looked embarrassed. He would fit right in on The Sunday Game .

The conversation turned to the poor form of the 76ers James Harden. Charles Barkley, the second of their three resident pundits, said, “At the minute, James couldn’t hit a bull in the ass with an ironing board.” Again, there was a whoop of laughter as they got down to another hugely entertaining conversation. Real, charismatic, dramatic, irritated, passionate, happy, unhappy.

Barkley said he was putting his money on the Sixers. Shaquille said, “Save your money for your kids and your new puppy.” Barkley said, “If this wasn’t live TV, I’d come over there and slap the black off you.” Again, an eruption of laughter and chat as they got stuck in. When the Sixers lost, they did a ‘Gone fishing’ segment, which they do when a team goes missing, dropping nets and using fishing rods to fish them out of the sea.

This is the highest-rated basketball show in the US, syndicated around the world, including to Sky Sports. They understand that the game, like the punditry, is about entertainment. So, they have a permanent panel of three, all of whom have terrific, strong personalities. They have an anchor who lets it go in whatever direction it goes. They are honest, fearless, funny and are not worried about getting annoyed or speaking their minds. So, we are drawn to them, young and old, because it is real. It is edgy, informative and most of all, entertaining.

Meanwhile, back in the RTE morgue, one would not be surprised to hear them say, “I’m sorry for your troubles” and, “What age was he?” The day-time pundits on The Sunday Game are forced to stand awkwardly behind podiums, like politicians about to make their opening statement. Instead of conversation, it is a stage-managed chore. Your turn. Now your turn. Now your turn. Now, competition time. The forced laughter as the unfunny but polite-to-smile-at remarks are made.

It is entirely unnatural. No one discusses a game like this. No one wants to hear it discussed like this. If you were in a bar and they were at it, you would make your excuses and get offside to another crowd asap. Because it is so stage managed and risk averse, no one says anything. Instead, it has been reduced to statements of the banal. “Dublin’s defence have held Meath to just six points.” “Tyrone’s goals are the difference between the teams.” And so on and so forth. As these dull statements of the obvious are made, one almost expects the Mike Myers character from Wayne’s World to turn to camera and raise an eyebrow.

For the Sunday night highlights show, the pundits don’t stand behind podiums. Instead, they stand behind invisible podiums, five metres apart, looking as comfortable as 15-year-old boys being asked to sing in public for the first time.

I do not know any group of people — apart from bomb disposal experts, or maybe hostage negotiators trying to talk a jumper away from the ledge — who stand so far apart when they are having a conversation. Imagine standing five metres apart in a triangle at a game, shouting over at each other, or in a bar, or in your house? “Here da.” “What son?” “What did you think of Clifford’s goal?” “What son?” “Clifford’s goal.” “His what?” “Why are you so far away son? And why are you standing? Come over and sit on the sofa.” If you did this in company, people would think you had lost your mind, or that you had a contagious disease.

poster

The Throw In: The Truth about Dublin’s dominance

Share this video

The result is that instead of something entertaining to look forward to and enjoy, where we can see the real personalities of the pundits and get comfortable with them, and have something that brightens our Monday mornings, we are left with nothing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Learn more

As a friend of mine says, “There is more atmosphere on the moon.” Your turn. Corporate speak. Your turn. Corporate speak. Now your turn. Corporate speak. Ad. Competition time. Obligatory manager interview. Obligatory player interview. Final cheesy words about next week. Cue music.

I feel sorry for the pundits, who must need oxygen masks to bring them around when the show is over. But more for the audience, especially the younger audience, who simply will not watch if this continues.

RTE GAA has gone overboard. The RTE authority needs to go fishing.

Read More

Promoted Links by

Waterford: How to invest 250€ in Amazon and others and obtain a second income
Waterford: How to invest 250€ in Amazon and others and obtain a second incomeFinancial Trends

Forever Young Festival - where the ’80s come alive!
Forever Young Festival - where the ’80s come alive!Leinster Leader

Apple iPhone Users Can Now Block All Ads (Do It Now)
Apple iPhone Users Can Now Block All Ads (Do It Now)SafeLifeTips

Ready to take your teaching skills to the next level?
Ready to take your teaching skills to the next level?FutureLearn

Medical Negligence Solicitors in Waterford Have No Fees Until You Win
Medical Negligence Solicitors in Waterford Have No Fees Until You WinMedical Negligence Solicitors | Sponsored

Weight loss: Man loses 8 stone in 12 months following this easy diet plan
Weight loss: Man loses 8 stone in 12 months following this easy diet planExpress - Lifestyle / Diets

Latest GAA

Most Read

1. ‘There are no words to describe the grief’ – GAA club’s tribute to Meath man Gary Reilly after death in US
  2. ‘It’s bad judgement and he probably made the wrong call’ – Limerick legend Ciarán Carey on Treaty hurler’s alleged headbutt
  3. Brian Cody forced into late change as Kilkenny and Dublin name teams for Leinster Championship clash
  4. ‘I actually think it would make no difference to me right now. If we won a Munster final, then I’d be going, ‘how the f**k didn’t we win an All-Ireland’?’
  5. Dublin v Kilkenny: Kenny’s Sky Blues and Cody’s Cats square off in Leinster SHC round 4 clash

Latest

Most Watched

[
Video

Heart-stopping video captures explosion after dump truck crashes into vehicle

](Heart-stopping video captures explosion after dump truck crashes into vehicle - Independent.ie)

[
Video

Peacock chases ice-cream van in hilarious footage

](Peacock chases ice-cream van in hilarious footage - Independent.ie)

[
Video

Funny moment toy car rolls up to McDonald’s drive-thru in Dublin

](Funny moment toy car rolls up to McDonald's drive-thru in Dublin - Independent.ie)

[
Video

Peter Andre addresses Rebekah Vardy’s jibe about him in emotional video

](Peter Andre addresses Rebekah Vardy's jibe about him in emotional video - Independent.ie)

4 Likes

Poor old Joe just can’t let it go

2 Likes

He’s bang on with everything he said all the same.

6 Likes

True enough.

Joe holds a mirror up that some fellas just don’t wanna look into

I’d be fairly confident NBA on TNT is the most entertaining sports show in the English speaking world

1 Like

Joe is gone fierce sour. But he’s right. The sunday game is shite

Lovely stuff altogether. It’s as well sean and joanne are too pedantic and gutless to know they’ve been eviscerated.
Joe will make a great president

3 Likes

Donal - you have a point to make about Corks puckouts

4 Likes

Joe was basically the only entertaining fella who was ever on gaa punditry though, maybe bar loughnane. I’d say the modern fellas in general are a little bit better than the older ones as they actually try to analyse the game even though they are all ridiculously bland. In fairness so are MOTD ones and all the rte soccer ones except dunphy. Likes of carragher and Keane offer a bit of colour and stir a few arguments on sky and Micah Richards has a loud laugh. Always found the Aussie ones on the footy show great real relaxed slagging and chat about the game. Seems that basketball one sounds similar. Easier in a pro sport where they don’t have to get up for work in the morning or bump into the players queuing for a jambon.

1 Like

Maybe the pundits are also just dull?

yes the difference between the aussies and the gga is huge

thankfully the LOI has personalities

Joanne Cantwell or whatever her name is cant handle debate

1 Like

There’s a reason why Micah Richards, who wasn’t an especially prominent footballer, turns up as a pundit on every channel these days. He’s entertaining. He laughs, banters and keeps the show ticking along. He is not especially insightful but he is obviously gold to the producers. Keane is entertaining too, obviously in a different way. At the end of the day it’s just about entertaining people, keeping them switched on. It’s why most people tune in. It’s why Cyril is so fondly remembered as a pundit. He was entertaining.

13 Likes

Ah here, Cyril says bang and go fuck yourself

Who are the good LOI ones? They seem to have a couple of mouthy dub taxi driver type lads alright.

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy:. Thanks, that gave me a good laugh.

3 Likes