The Joe Brolly tells porkies thread

That is so classic Ireland it should be on a plaque in the heritage museum below in Westport.

3 Likes

I’ll tell you now lads. Harte is only in derry on some class of redemption seeking pilgrimage. He has absolutely nothing to do with the day to day running of the club. He turns up, sits in the car park at ownbeg, ates a few gratis sausage rolls and reads the paper. That’s it.

Has Gallagher resurfaced this year? He’s hardly still on Banty’s payroll.

Gaa headquarters cleared him to coach. Thats all i know

I’ve no quarrel with the man but calling Con a dishonest broker for mugging off his game plan was bad form

1 Like

The coal man joke :see_no_evil:

PREMIUM

Joe Brolly: Mickey Harte is the rot at the heart of Derry’s decay

Joe Brolly

June 09 2024 02:30 AM

After a lot of rumours had done the rounds last week that the players had ousted Mickey Harte, and that Enda Muldoon was taking over until the end of the season under the discreet supervision of Rory Gallagher, the Gaelic Life’s Niall McCoy brought the gossip to an end.

Niall tweeted: “Mickey Harte remains Derry manager and will be in charge for the Westmeath game. Rumour mill out of control but nothing in it.”

To which Owen Mulligan responded, “Thank God for that.”

We are a laughing stock now. When the Downfall video is released, you know it’s all over. Hitler is in his bunker, enraged, demanding answers for Derry’s collapse. When Hitler’s lieutenant says, “To be fair, mein Fuhrer, Harte won three All-Irelands with Tyrone in the noughties,” Adolf roars “Ten Hag would have won three All-Irelands with that Tyrone team,” before smashing the table with his fist.

​After the Armagh humiliation last Sunday, just as he had done after the two previous humiliations, Harte blamed the players. He told the press he didn’t know what was wrong with them. He was “at a loss. It’s very hard to explain what is happening”. And I thought being able to explain what is happening is the entire point of management.

It is depressing and enraging listening to him waffling. “We can only look at it and see what our eyes are telling us, that we’re getting bad beatings,” he said, putting me in mind of Brick Tamland, the weather forecaster in Anchorman. “It doesn’t make sense,” he said, “unless there is a mental problem.”

It is hard to know which is worse: A manager who has no idea what the problem is, or a manager who blames the players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Nothing is ever Mickey’s fault. No. It is our players who are to blame: The two-in-a-row Ulster champions who almost beat Kerry in last year’s semi-final. A team that hadn’t had a sending off in the previous four years. A team that has been disciplined and together and structured and ferocious as they rose from Division 4 to become genuine All-Ireland contenders.

No, the fact that within five months of Harte’s arrival we are an indisciplined, bad-tempered, disillusioned, injury-prone, disorganised mess conceding more goals than San Marino has absolutely nothing to do with the manager. Our serial humiliations in this championship are the players’ fault and a mystery to management.

The two Tyrone men have nothing to do with our kamikaze goalkeeper/midfielder tactic. They have nothing to do with our entire team pushing up high into the opposition half, in the manner of Liverpool or Manchester City’s high offside trap. (Note to Mickey: There is no offside in Gaelic football.)

As a result of this strategy, we have conceded four disastrous, comical goals to a disbelieving Donegal in the first round, two to Galway in the second (they did not take full advantage of the gift being offered) and three to Armagh last Sunday (it could and should have been five).

Good, totally committed Derry men have been reduced to a panic-stricken mess. Our goalkeeper, Odhran Lynch, has been subjected to one public embarrassment after another, falling forwards and backwards into the net, running helplessly back towards his own goal, pirouetting then falling to the ground as the opposing supporters giggle. He has been left to his mortification by Harte. It is the equivalent of John Kiely giving his goalie a toothpick to save the penalties.

Our defenders and midfielders have been reduced to running back towards their own goal in dread, praying it isn’t going to end with another morale-killing goal, opposing forwards wheeling away gleefully, scarcely believing their luck. We have become a confidence booster for teams in need of a confidence boost.

When Brendan Rogers fell into the net for Armagh’s second goal, he must have wished he was in Croke Park with the hurlers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Nor is the chronic indiscipline Mickey’s fault.

After Gareth McKinless was sent off for an outrageous stamp on Damien Comer’s Achilles which has put the Galway man out of action at the height of the championship, Mickey smiled and said that Comer’s reaction to the incident was “theatrical.” I was so appalled by this that I contacted Pádraic Joyce that night to apologise as a Derryman for what had been done and to pass on my best wishes to his gallant forward.

Last Sunday, another sending off. This time it was Ciarán McFaul, who as Lee Keegan rightly said on Sunday night had behaved badly from the moment he was brought on. This time, Mickey painted Ciarán as the victim, saying he had been provoked from the moment he had been introduced.

​In the 2013 All-Ireland quarter-final, reigning champions Donegal were destroyed by Mayo, losing by 16 points. Near the end, Eamon McGee stamped on Enda Varley and got a straight red card. Years later, Eamon recalled the incident.

“Jimmy [McGuinness] could have let it lie as the season was over and it had no impact on the result. But he tore shreds off me in the changing room for letting the team, the county and myself down. I was left under no illusions that any future loss of discipline was unacceptable.”

When Mickey abandoned Louth on the eve of the season, he told the county board chairman that he “wanted to win another All-Ireland” before he retired and that Derry were his best hope. We certainly were, until Mickey arrived. It is not the players, or mysterious unknown factors, or an “emotional problem” that is to blame for our disintegration.

The truth is that Mickey Harte is the rot at the heart of our decay.

Read More Top Stories

1 Like

Care to comment @glenshane me auld mucker

1 Like

Wonder how long has Joe had this piece sitting in cold storage and ready to go?

4 Likes

He’s only warming up i reckon.

:rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Joe is the best of us

Chronic? 2 incidents in four years is exemplary

Joe thinks anyone could have won all irelands with that tyrone team.
You mean you’re only telling us that now Joe? :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

https://twitter.com/pukefootballpod/status/1800942034741613034?s=46&t=YOfhVM10W0bcyIiYSLI3Wg

How is a great man. It’s only better he’s getting as well

He’s making an awful clown out of himself.

Joe’s attempts to stay relevant and in the public eye post RTÉ are a salutary tale.

3 Likes

The last thing I want is attention, Joe Brolly said loudly into the microphone over and over again, until everyone was listening

3 Likes

Some here would rather Ming the Merciless President of Ireland but I will be voting for Joe.

Either or would be the grandest.