The Joe Brolly tells porkies thread

You think this was ok to go to print?

Kevin Lynch played underage hurling for Dungiven before he moved on to greater things. He decided to do a bit of killing for Ireland and, after that, a bit of dying for Ireland. He didnā€™t join the IRA, on the grounds presumably that they were a bit slack in the depravity department. Instead he joined the INLA, which happily had an even more bestial disposition. Lynch died by suicide in 1981. He hadnā€™t eaten any grub in Long Kesh for a few months.
Dungiven GAA subsequently named their hurling club after him. Abu Hamza al-Brolly thinks itā€™s a great idea altogether to name his hurling club after a chap who had no problem with the killing of men, women and children. Sure he was one of our own, after all, and a ā€œgood Gaelā€ to boot.

2 Likes

Is it accurate?

Both articles are silly. Standard of journalism in this country has become so poor. All opinion pieces and faux moral outrage.

2 Likes

No.

http://www.kevinlynchs.com/history

Say what you want to say rather than putting a cryptic link up.

It is hardly cryptic. It is a history of the club.

What are you trying to say?

Iā€™m not in the mood to second guess you.

Of course I donā€™t, but it was no more unacceptable than brolly stating that o chongaile had advocated getting rid of the tricolour, and the national anthem, and inferring him a traitor, if that was not what he had said at all.
Look brolly overstates a lot of things to make a point, and isnā€™t anyway above embellishment ,such as the will Griggs thing. That paragraph you quoted is, of course unacceptable, but is only a subtlety away from the thrust of a statement that brolly would come up with on occasion.

I actually think it was an appalling thing to write, and to publish personally, but that wasnā€™t aimed at brolly, but at kevin lynch.

Thatā€™s the point. Snowflakes everywhere.

This @flattythehurdler lad has spent way too much time in blighty being pussywhipped by his missus.He hasnā€™t a notion.Brolly will be president and get rid of the top brass/beancounters of the gaa.

2 Likes

A nation once again.

2 Likes

I love these southern fucking monkeys getting all high and mighty about the north when they know next to nothing about it. Blind Boy is right, we are still gripped by our colonial past and the amount of cunts out there who hate their country, their history and their own people is still substantial high sadly. People mistake my political beliefs as anti- British just because iā€™m a Republicanā€¦ Iā€™m not, I donā€™t mind the tans at allā€¦Iā€™m just Pro Irish - Thereā€™s a big difference.

9 Likes

Good on him. I hope he does. He is prone to hyperbole and self regard all the same.

Excellent post there mouse.My thoughts exactly.

Blind boy is swiftly moving into the Bressie category.

3 Likes

Conlon doesnā€™t appear to have had a column in todayā€™s Sindo. Thereā€™s nothing from him on their website, at any rate.

Conlonā€™s column on Brolly was incredibly misjudged.

You simply canā€™t go around labelling somebody as Abu Hamza (twice) and a Wahhabi, or link somebody to the phrase"Allahu Akhbar" (the context of the reference was clearly a reference to Islamist terrorism) in the national press. Well you probably can if the context is clearly satirical, but the context Conlan made those comparisons in was at best an utterly hopeless attempt at satire which completely misses the mark, and thatā€™s key.

The overall tone of the column, the vast bulk of which is clearly written in a serious tone, also leaves no doubt the author considers Brolly to be genuinely sectarian and invites the reader to think the same, without providing any evidence, and spuriously linking him to real atrocities that took place.

Brolly was well within his rights to seek an apology and I wouldnā€™t be surprised if Conlonā€™s days at the Indo are numbered after that.

One could argue that Brolly did a hatchet job on Enda McNulty and impugned his professional reputation, but he didnā€™t compare him to Islamist murder-mongers and link him to Kingsmills.

1 Like

Surely the problem was editorial here ??

Yes, but columns that are published across the media often sail close to the wind and sometimes sail too close.

A columnist should really have a very good idea of what is acceptable and whatā€™s not, especially one as experienced as Conlon.

Ironically Brollyā€™s original column likely came from a deliberate ignoring of the context of Aogan Oā€™Fearghailā€™s remarks, but ultimately there was nothing remotely objectionable about the column itself.

I donā€™t think you can say that about Conlonā€™s.

True but at the end of the day an editorā€™s job is to sniff a problem and seek advice if necessary . That was absent here. Conlonā€™s piece was utterly hateful and vindictive .