The Kyle wrecks your head thread

Frightening to think he will improve with age.

A pure animal of a man

I personally believe nowadays we wonā€™t see players improve from 19/20 to say 25/26 as much as we did in the past. The players are exposed to such high standards of coaching from 13 or 14 nowadays. Also when these players are in college theyā€™ve a lot more free time on their hands to focus on simply hurling and recovery. Different when youā€™ve a wife/kids/full time job.

3 Likes

Experience and decision making come on a lot from a youngfella his age. Heā€™s only starting college.

If I said up youā€™d say down. You honestly donā€™t think heā€™ll improve?

Iā€™ve said that for many years on here. How many of the clare 2013 team have improved? Has Austin Gleeson improved much since 2014? Or the bennets?

Heā€™s in his third year of college chief.

How many of that Clare team were 19 in 2013?

Gleeson has gone backward, but I think thatā€™s down to the individual. Iā€™d say Barron and De Burca have improved steadily. Waterford is a tricky one because of the year they had with injuries. Letā€™s see what improvement is there next year.

Cian Lynch has improved massively from where he was at 18/19 to now. And heā€™ll improve on again in the next few years. Mike Casey the same. Finn and English the same. Byrnes improved no end this year. Tom Morrissey. Hegarty. Flanagan.

1 Like

He did the leaving young so, fair play to him.

Flanagan is the really key one. An outstanding minor. He wasnt involved with the Limerick 21s in 2017.

But in 2018, he just set the tone.

Another one I think will improve massively in the next couple of years. Experience, confidence and decision making added to his athleticism and ball winning. Frightening stuff.

1 Like

A Callinan with a set of balls, he has it pal.

1 Like

A terrific talent. Add a bit of ruthlessness in front of the goals and heā€™s the full package.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure you really understand what Iā€™m saying. Obviously players can improve, change of manager, change of tactics, change of position like lynch will improve them etc. The Limerick squad has been exposed to extremely high levels of coaching and fitness but so have the 21s and minors. The gym programmes have been in place for years now. Hayes was ready for senior hurling at 19. Mentally and physically. Before youā€™d think lads at 19 would need time but not anymore.

Also the big difference between gaa and other sports is time. Once these guys leave college it becomes a lot more difficult for them. Theyā€™ve less and less time to work on their game. The vast majority of that Limerick squad were semi pros this summer. Thatā€™ll change as the years go on.

1 Like

Thats all he needs to brush up on. His head is right, physicality is rightā€¦if he can add points scoring and goals to his game he could be anything.

As is, heā€™s a top top lad anyway regardless.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t see any comparison between callanan and flanagan. Seamus is far more of a creater and a worker. He often sacrifices his own game for the team. Callanan is a finisher and far more selfish. It will be interesting to see how flanagan develops but it is going to be very tough for limerick next year.

I know what you are saying.

The improvements arenā€™t as drastic as years ago, physically and skills wise but fellas benefit greatly from having a few years senior intercounty experience.

Byrnes is the classic example. The wildness is gone out of him, Dan Morrissey is probably the most improved hurler in Ireland at 24/25 years of age.

Your point is valid, kid. Iā€™m not disputing that, just saying there are improvements to be had

I disagree mate, I see an awful lot of similarities, maybe originally it was the socks are pulled up etc. But the lad has itā€¦he really is a great bit of stuff. I dont ever rememeber a Limerick forward running into space as much as him.

Not to mention his paw.

1 Like

It will be a travesty if we donā€™t do three in a row.

They even have a similar stride. Iā€™d say the similarities are only aesthetic.

1 Like

It really wonā€™t.

I canā€™t wait for Clare in the Gaelic Grounds. Iā€™d say itā€™ll be absolute bedlam.

1 Like