The League of Ireland thread

I know Doolin is desparate for a job but I donā€™t understand why he went to Cork. They havenā€™t paid Matthews or any of the players any of the money they are owed, and havenā€™t given any indication that they are going to. They are also in debt to the Munster FA so their continued use of the Cross canā€™t be taken for granted. They will be lucky to have 11 players next year, but sure as long as they are paying Gamble a couple of grand a week to keep him sweet, well then everything will be fine.

[quote=ā€œjosepi73ā€]Well they are gonna have to find 2 players from somewhere.
Its well known that they currently have 9 players signed and no money to take anyone else on.
The cost of the appeal process of the courts decision late last year should take care of any available moneys and leave bohs vying with drogheda for the title of ā€œfurthest fall from graceā€
oh and dont forget your passports!![/quote]

New contracts are on the table for Burns and Oā€™Donnell, and Deegan looks set to re-sign until the summer at the very least. If Burns goes, then Owen Heary will move to CB with Shelley replacing him at FB, the only player in the league capable of doing so.

Stuart Byrne, Paul Keegan, and Ger Rowe are also training with us - if deals are done with any or all of them, it wonā€™t be for big money. Weā€™ll be alright. A Finn Harps full back and an over the hill Ollie Cahill arenā€™t going to put the fear of God into us anyway.

TBH I was surpirsed how well spoken he was, surprised he wasnt playing rugby or GAA and not LOI obviosuly :slight_smile:

His bird was hot enough as well

I like Gamble, heā€™s a sound lad and Iā€™d have loved to seen him sign for Bohs although weā€™d really have had to push the boat out, and even then we might not have got him, considering he turned town 2500 p/w to join Patā€™s last year. His bird is a nice bit of candy as well, I remember not being surprised that he scarpered off early out of coppers after cup final night in 2007.

is it possible he is getting 2500 a week from City? no fookin way?

His gaff didnt look all that big, then again I guess it cant be easy to get a mortgage when your employer is a LOI club in and out of financial trouble

[quote=ā€œSledgehammerā€]New contracts are on the table for Burns and Oā€™Donnell, and Deegan looks set to re-sign until the summer at the very least. If Burns goes, then Owen Heary will move to CB with Shelley replacing him at FB, the only player in the league capable of doing so.
.[/quote]

did deegan get any offers from england?..could be turned into a great player with the right coachingā€¦has the makings of a real old fashioned midfield generalā€¦

[quote=ā€œdancarterā€]is it possible he is getting 2500 a week from City? no fookin way?

His gaff didnt look all that big, then again I guess it cant be easy to get a mortgage when your employer is a LOI club in and out of financial trouble[/quote]

The story at the time was he turned down ā€œslightly lessā€ (I dunno, read 2k p/w?) than what Patā€™s were offering, to re-sign for Cork. But then he has since re-signed, for what one would suspect are reduced terms, at a time where the Dublin offer is obviously no longer on the table from Patā€™s or anyone else. Iā€™d say in or around 1500 p/w plus end of season bonuses depending on team success.

Himself and Neale Fenn also ran a menswear store in Cork (Indigo?) which they sold up when Fenn moved to Dublin.

Not sure where he went in England? He went on trial with Kilmarnock, thatā€™s all I heard for definite. He was also supposed to have gone on trial at a club in Serbia but I didnā€™t hear much about that. Heā€™s a good box to box worker, great engine on him. not sure if he has the frame to operate at the top level but heā€™s a good trier anyway and would definitely be a great signing for us, even if only til the summer.

They have paid some of the players and the oneā€™s who wouldnā€™t accept that they couldnā€™t pay everyone in full happen to be the fellas who are gone, which to my mind is 2, from last years squad of 21 that leaves 19 still either with Cork, or still negotiating with City, from what i am aware.
Also City are always in debt to the Munster FA, so there isnā€™t anything new there.

I suspect City will work off a squad of 17-18, including anyone new. I expect a few of the better qualified, older or guys set up in some way to go part-time, or even in some cases go to MSL and get into the real world as one might call it.
I know players in MSL getting a couple of hundred a week playing MSL, so they might actually be better off financially dropping down.

Have Crewe in my head but may be wrong.

When I look back at it Galway United had a cracking midfield for the first half of last season. Oā€™Shea-Deegan-Russell-Oā€™Brien. Shouldnā€™t have struggled the way they did.

Ah well. Howā€™s the league gonna pan out next season at all, at all?

The big unknown is Patā€™s theyā€™ve appointed Paul Pescisolido as Kennaā€™s assistant, and they mean business. Apparently they are going to be full time again next season, with another big budget, and they only put out the part time stories to get rid of McDonnell and a few players. So if Patā€™s have the budget, people will expect them to be our biggest challengers. We were dependent on Murphy last season, and they were dependent on Fahey. But theyā€™ve lost KF and weā€™ve kept Murphy. At least for the moment. I think weā€™ll win it again, with Patā€™s & Derry & Cork the challengers, the order of which you can pick for yourself.

Sledgeā€¦ who does Barry Ryan from Limerick play for now? He played for shels a couple of seasons back, then i heard he went to Scotland for a while but came back, any idea?

Seems Jeff Kenna has walked away. Strange.

http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/squad/foster-appointed-galway-united-manager.html

Good work re-signing Derek Oā€™Brien though.

the junkie?

Barry Ryan, that played with Fairview?

Edit: Do you mean that handsome devil Bobby Ryan?

Think Bobby Ryan is still at Patā€™s as far as I know he survived that cull there recently when they let a load of players go.

He was at Dunfermline for a while when Stephen Kenny went there. Donā€™t think he saw much action though.

No, probably because heā€™s past it, and has nothing left to offer. I think heā€™s another year left on his current deal at Patā€™s. With the rumours of them going part time, Iā€™m sure heā€™ll get a bit of modelling work to supplement his dramatically reduced salary.

Is that Barry Ryan the Goalkeeper by any chance?

No thatā€™s Barry, not Bobby, Barry is from your part of the world Puke. Big thick ginger Clare coont. His mother wears a leopardskin overcoat when she goes to see him play. She gave out to me once for abusing him back in Belfield a fyears ago when he was playing for UCD. :smiley: