The League of Ireland thread

There is also a lot of bad blood in the Limerick from dodgy dealings that went on towards the end of the 80’s and the whole move out of the markets field. Generally clubs in Limerick would do all they can to discourage the best junior players from playing with Limerick. You can see the point in trying to hold onto your best players but as you say it is pretty short sighted.

Runty have you seen their new training set up out the long pavement in Knocklasheen?

No, tell me about it. I remember reading about it, is it owned by the FAI or Limerick? I think it’s the former.

not sure, haven’t seen it myself, must take a look the next time I am out that way Sulky racing

Have you anything worth racing at the moment? We haven’t had anything useful in months. One of the lads is bringing a horse from England next month that is supposed to be right good.

I don’t keep any horses but a couple of friends of mine have a few trotters…Serious money involved in it

Ya serious bucks alright, you see the knackers of a sunday morning could have the whole road taken over having a race. They’d be driving on the wrong side of the road trying to film it.

Ten out of ten for race to the bottom
By Eamonn Sweeney

Sunday May 31 2009

League of Ireland Appreciation, Higher Level, Paper 1.

Question One: Compare and contrast the following.

Rugged Bohemians centre-back Jason McGuinness racially abuses Sligo Rovers striker Romuald Boco in a League of Ireland match. Bohs manager Pat Fenlon issues a strong defence of McGuinness’s character, the club suspend him for one game and the league gives him a five-match suspension. McGuinness stays at Bohs.

Rugged Dundalk centre-back Dave Rogers drops his shorts in front of St Patrick’s Athletic fans in a League of Ireland match. Rogers is sent off. He is immediately sacked by Dundalk.

Is the answer:

(a) In the League of Ireland, showing your ass is more serious than showing that you are one.

(b) The Dundalk asshole that they have to worry about is not the one belonging to Dave Rogers.

Š Given the regularity with which clubs fail to pay wages on time, this summary dismissal shows that League of Ireland players have roughly the same employment rights as Moldovans working in a mushroom tunnel in Meath.

(d) If we had an All-Ireland League run by a PR company none of these things would happen.

(e) It’s all Trapattoni’s fault. He should have picked Andy Reid.

(f) I’m waiting to hear what Roy Keane has to say about it at his next amusing press conference.

(g) What a contrast with the wonderful behaviour of our GAA players.

(h) I blame Martin Cullen and Horse Racing Ireland. And Martin Cullen.

(i) It serves the Dundalk player right for being named after a sexual act rather than a much loved Irish beverage.

(j) Racism isn’t that big a deal whereas public semi-nudity is unforgivable.

Please do not write on both sides of the answer paper at the same time.

• Eamonn Sweeney

Byrne swoops to put Bohemians back into top spot
Cork City 0 Bohemians 1

Saturday May 30 2009

JASON BYRNE’S 56th-minute goal gave Bohemians victory over Cork City in front of 5,388 at Turner’s Cross last night and in the process put Pat Fenlon’s side back on top of the table on goal difference.

It was a deserved win for the champions, who soaked up early pressure from their hosts in the first half and then proved a lot better after the interval.

Cork welcomed back Neal Horgan and Billy Dennehy from injury, the former replacing the suspended Pat Sullivan, while Jospeh Ndo returned from a hamstring problem for Bohs, though Glen Crowe was out with a similar affliction, with defenders Owen Heary, Mark Rossiter and Jason McGuinness also out.

In what was a relatively poor first half, both sides threatened without ever really looking like scoring.

After a slow start, the home side began to get the upper hand, despite losing influential midfielder Joe Gamble through injury after six minutes. The Irish international was replaced by former Bohs player Stephen O’Donnell.

The first real chance fell to Denis Behan on 18 minutes, but he headed the ball straight at Brian Murphy after a Colin Healy cross, while Dan Murray also went close from a Healy pass a minute later.

Bohs weathered that storm, though, and began to show more going forward as the half ended, Murray having to stretch to intercept an Ndo through-ball for Byrne, while Paul Keegan saw his shot from outside the box deflected for a corner.

After the break, the visitors continued to maintain the pressure, Byrne and Paul Keegan both being denied by good Dan Connor saves and it was no surprise when they finally broke the deadlock on 56 minutes.

Danny Murphy’s low clearance found its way only as far as Glen Cronin, and his neat chip into the box was headed home by Byrne for the first goal Cork had conceded in five games to send the sizeable visiting contingent into raptures.

Cork looked bereft of ideas as they chased an equaliser, not creating a proper chance after the goal until Billy Dennehy shot over on the turn after a good O’Donnell pass on 76 minutes.

O’Donnell, with a long-range shot that was deflected for a corner, and Behan, with a back-post header that went straight into Murphy’s hands, had half-chances as the clock wound down, as did substitute Tim Kiely in the last minute of injury time, but Bohemians were not to be denied.

CORK CITY – Connor; Horgan (Kiely 85), O’Halloran, Murray, Murphy; Lordan, Gamble (O’Donnell 7), Healy; Kuduzovic, Behan, Dennehy (Silagailis 77).

BOHEMIANS – B Murphy; A Murphy, Shelley, Oman, Powell; Ndo (Brennan 76), Keegan, Cronin, Deegan, Carey (S Byrne 90); J Byrne (Fenn 84).

Ref – D McKeon (Meath).

• George Williams

Calling @anon95599269 - wtf have Rovers done with all their money?

That’s incredible. A few years ago you would have said Rovers would been untouchable for the next 5 years.

A leopard never changes its spots.

They should sell Tallaght

The GAA should commandeer it.

1 Like

Sure how can they sell what they don’t own?

I just recorded the best goal ever by a LOI player at the bohs dundalk game. How do i upload vids? Or will i send to joe.ie?

Dalymount is a great venue .

Fuck me, apparently I set up the league of Ireland thread. Just started getting notifications whe people post in it

I can’t upload files over 4mb. I think. Will sort this in the morning. A ridiculous goal.

Monday night on soccer republic kid