The Lesser GAA Pundits Fresh Take

Wee Martin McHugh on with Pauric today. Excellent pundit.

Cyril Donnellan does Co-commentary on Galway Bay Fm. It would be similar enough in style to Shane Mcgrath but nowhere near as forced. He also is happy to call it as he sees it, and he wasn’t very impressed by what he saw yesterday.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of wee Martin as a pundit/co commentator. Far better than the likes of McStay and Dessie. He comes out with the odd mad comment but he’s usually got a good read of the game.

Oisin is much better in his punditry role than as co-commentator. One thing I notice that whenever there is an Ulster lad on co-commentator duty they are much quicker to call out Marty and Canning on their idiocy. There was one today where I think Galway won a good tackle on a Mayo player, Marty was perplexed why a free wasn’t awarded and Oisin had to tell him the ball was played. If that was Dessie, he’d be agreeing with Marty that it was a strange call.

2 Likes

Oisin had a grand display of idiocy himself today when he thought a Mayo man should have been given a free after getting a fair shoulder because he wasn’t in possession of the ball when it happened.

1 Like

Syl is a terrific commentator, as I noted last week. Very professional, fair and insightful and has a very engaging style which draws you in. But he’s not a yahoo, like some local commentators are. You could easily be a supporter of the team Clare were playing but still appreciate his commentary.

4 Likes

Jesus the TSG is some load of shit, the analysis after every match is the presenter just rushing the two lads into saying a few words after it. They didn’t even get a chance to say anything about Laois/Wmeath game.

Thank god for the podcasts I can actually learn something tactically about what’s going on.

Edit: meant for other thread.

1 Like

Hurling is a minority sport & rte are broke, the English football team gets higher tv figures than the all ireland finals ffs, what kind of analysis do you expect on westmeath hurling

are there even 200 hurling players in westmeath

3 Likes

Mate, I’m just stateing it’s shit. I’m not getting into an argument over soccer vs gaa.

1 Like

RTE are in the green now only due to telling people to wash their hands, wear masks, be afraid of everyone etc. They were understandably under pressure pre covid as their output is fucking horrible.

Fuck them.

There’s that and more I’d say. Bare knuckle boxers on the other hand…

Steady on now.

Not sure if same sponsors behind rugby might be pushing for more coverage on OTB?

Shane McGrath has some really odd takes.

I know thinking outside the box and doing something different can sometimes lead to great successes but he seems to consistently have very unusual opinions, which I’m 99% won’t work and I’d be worried that, as a coach, he believes them.

1 Like

Is he doing much coaching these days? His brother would be the main coach in the family (involved in teams since he was in his 20s).

He was coaching Ballybrown last year.

Fairly sure he was with a few Tipp clubs before that, maybe Holycross?

He was with Kilruane at one stage anyway. Also did a stint with Tipp minors.

Aidan Harte is a refreshingly honest pundit.

1 Like

Himself and Bubbles are good

A lovely honesty and irreverence to it. Not precious about the game or their place in it.

1 Like

What podcast are they on?