The Lesser GAA Pundits Fresh Take

He offered zero analysis unfortunately and was just an annoyance.

1 Like

Oh yeah. Exactly.

But yer man went on about it for two years, like he had discovered a new form of geometry. Tabloid stuff…

I do not get the impression they think much of him in Borrisoleigh.

He’s a social media “journalist”, not a real journalist IMO.

I’d say we will be hearing a lot more from Jamie Wall in coming years (with his Simpsons, movie, soccer references)

Himself and Tommy Guilfoyle did a very good preview piece on Clare fm Friday. Newstalk did no hurling preview piece at all this week. The gaa otb podcast has four football shows since Wednesday no hurling

I just think he is irritating and shite and smug, qualities that tend to go together. There are some good blogs and so forth. Colm O’Callaghan and John Coleman would be two excellent (Cork-centred) ones, to my eye.

If I was from Borrisoleigh, I would never leave the place. Great spot altogether.

JW is very bright, in two languages. Good coach as well, by many accounts.

1 Like

He was granted access to an exclusive interview with Buff at the height of his fame in summer 2017. It was awkward enough fare on both their parts I thought. Is he a hanger on in Cuala panel? Did he get game in their all-Ireland winning teams?

A gentleman.

Very much so. And a fine writer.

1 Like

I’ve said it to him before that if he compiled a book of his writings from Blackpool Sentinel, I’d be first in line to buy it.

A Melody Maker writer back in the day.

2 Likes

Shane Simpleton

3 Likes

Shane McGrath has been on the radio doing colour commentary and doing snippets on the news and whatnot for a few years now, surprised you wouldn’t have heard him before. He’s definitely more from the Cyril Farrell or Anthony Daly school of analysis than Dónal Óg Cusack ór Jamsie O’Connor.

I listened to both games yesterday on local radio, the first on WLR and the second one on Clare FM. I thoroughly enjoyed both games. There was energy, passion, moments of confusion and shout-outs to fellas in Montreal, Montevideo and Modeligo go leor. Best of all I was given no graphs at half time as to who had the higher pass completion rate. Hurling is a great sport for radio.

5 Likes

I think Liam Aherne did the Waterford game on RTE

Was it Syl and Tommy Guilfoyle?

Local GAA radio on big championship match days is fantastic. Usually completely biased which is exactly what you expect and need.

Shane McGrath is a nice lad but his exuberance is a bit forced at times, almost like a poor mans John Mullane. To be fair Mullane is as genuine as they come and his excitement is never feigned. He just loves the sport.

2 Likes

Skehill is excellent. Doesn’t do bland. The hurling coverage on OTB radio is pretty lame. The presenters have fuck all interest.

Rugby obsessed, they seem to cover it 24/7.

Hurling is almost non existent on it, outside of the big matches at the business end of the season.

The very lads.

1 Like

Tommy Walsh is wasted there