The Local and European Elections 2019 Hub

Drug dealers

1 Like

I was in Mitchelstown today. Two things.
FF have spent a fortune on posters for their European candidates.
Billy kelleher looks like a ladyboy in his posters.

I donā€™t know what party / candidate to vote for.

I wonā€™t entertain voting for FG, FF, LAB or SF.

Think that leaves me with Soc Dems (Gannon) Greens (Cuffe), Cla(i)re Daly and a load of other independents which cover all ranges of the crackpot scale.

2 Likes

Ivan has rubbed the former ear to the ground presenter the wrong way here. She demanding he apologize for using the word trouser

Give Ciaran cuffe your number 1. Youā€™ve just had a kid and youā€™ve spent the guts of 40 years fucking up the world heā€™ll have to live in. This will assuage your guilt. A bit.

2 Likes

I wonder is there any other country in the EU where their MEPā€™s campaign videos consist of sports clips and contain absolutely no information about the platform the politician is running on, or any information on what he did in the parliament last time around, or what he might hope achieve next time around. Whatā€™s worse is heā€™ll stroll in.

Mick Wallace was canvassing limerick city last Saturday morning .

Heā€™s in the Ireland South constituency which is all of Munster and part of Leinster (6 of 12 counties I think). The lovely Clare is going in Dublin so theyā€™ll hopefully both get in. 3 European constituencies these days when it used to be 4. Is this the second time with 3? That Midlands NW constituency takes in the likes of Connacht, Kildare, Donegal and Louth. Itā€™s a bit random.

1 Like

He has a chance I would think . No doubt given his love of Italy he was supporting Benton at Thomond on Saturday

I think Clare may well struggle. Youā€™d assume FG, FF And SF will have a quota each. Iā€™d say Cuffs will grab a fair few first preference but will be a savage fella for transfers. Daly has a much bigger profile than many of the others (inc Boylan and Andrews) but Iā€™ve not seen much of a campaign from her so far.

Youā€™d imagine the Greens should do well, with climate change such a big issue and people continuing the move away from the traditional parties.

Iā€™ve seen no Clare Daly posters in my travels around the Dublin constituency which is remarkable. Iā€™d expect FG and SF to get a seat each with the remaining two between FF Lab and the Greens.

1 Like

Is Clare Daly pro or anti EU ?

Not sure Andrews will get a quota.

Claire Daly vs Lynn Boylan would be fantastic for a seat. Lynn is already ratcheting things up by going on about an EU Army.

Lynn Boylan has the sf and incumbent advantage. Her and Daly would presumably share a lot of support base. I think in a straight shootout on merit most people would choose Daly because of her excellent track record as opposed to Boylans lack of profile. Interestingly (or maybe not) my mother in law said she wouldnt vote for Daly because she thought she was needed in the DĆ il and didnā€™t want her disappearing off to Europe.

Lynn is a far superior politician on a number of levels. She should go into DE.

I had the same thought about Wallace, he might be a bit of a clown but himself and Daly are the only ones who consistently stick it to the government. Without them I doubt the whistle blower stuff would have as much traction.

Every democratic parliament requires a few contrarians to poke the government and to generate wider interest in politics. It is a good thing that PR enables this.

Care to expand on this? Preferrably with examples and an explanation of DE. Off the top of my head Iā€™ve heard about one thing she did in europe ( a paper she was writing about something, itā€™s not mentioned on her SF page).
Her SF page is below and is (similarly to most politicians) high on bluster and low on any actual facts. For example, she was apparently ā€˜a staunch defender of Irelandā€™s interests during the Brexit negotiationsā€™. Iā€™d like to know how.

https://www.sinnfein.ie/lynnboylan

Claire is great if you donā€™t like paying your VAT.

Lynn is all over European votes. Very active.