The LOI fans moan thread

IRISH PREFER TO WATCH ENGLISH KIDS THAN REAL FOOTBALL

ON MONDAY night, 8,000 ‘fans’ crammed into Dalymount Park to watch Bohemians’ reserves face what was effectively a Liverpool Under-19 side.

On Tuesday night, less than a third of that number were in Dalyer to see a big game between two great rivals.

Bohemians and Dundalk dislike each other and their five games to date this season have produced a lot of goals, six red cards and plenty of talking points.

Flash

Tuesday night was another great grudge match - full of flash points and eventually won 4-2 by Bohemians in a dramatic penalty shootout.

Yet Irish people would rather watch an English youth team going through the motions than a big FAI Cup tie. I don’t understand these halfwits.

Tuesday night’s match was a great cup tie but it certainly wasn’t a one-off - last year’s FAI Cup final between Bohs and Derry City was probably an even better match.

But it is ignored by most Irish people who would instead prefer to spend their hard-earned cash to cheer on kids wearing Liverpool jerseys.

Every club in the League of Ireland knows that bringing over an English team or their youth team will earn them a big gate.

In a few weeks’ time, Tolka Park is hosting England v Ireland legends - and they are expecting around 4,000!

I hear people go on about how we fought to free Ireland from the British less than 90 years ago, yet they have still taken over Ireland.

But this was not a military attack or even a hostile takeover. Oh no, the Premier League has been welcomed into Ireland with open arms by these fans who rarely darken the door of a League of Ireland ground.

People may think I’m being harsh but I have to say what I feel because I love our league and believe in it.

At times, my criticism of the league and the FAI can give the impression that I think the league is rubbish but I certainly don’t.

Quality

And as St Pat’s are showing in the Europa League at the moment, there are top-quality players and teams playing great football throughout the League of Ireland.

I just wish Irish people wearing Liverpool and Manchester United shirts would start wearing Cork or Bohs jerseys instead."

RTE indifference points to depth of the malaise

Shane Breslin

While St Patricks Athletic prepared for the biggest game in the clubs history against Steaua Bucharest, the national broadcasters tacit slight on their achievements and aspirations was compounded by a live game involving teams from Greece and Spain.

Lord knows, the League of Ireland is struggling for air badly enough as it is without having RTEs size 12s pressed firmly on its windpipe.

Some dodgy editorial decisions apart Karaoke King, anyone? RTEs weekly League of Ireland round-up programme, MNS, has been well received by the football-going public. But in this instance, it is a case of television scheduling imitating life, for there exists a schism between the stations domestic coverage and its treatment of international and cross-channel events.

There are two teams, it seems: one for proper football, as decreed by the marketing men of Sky and Uefa, and one for the run-of-the-mill Irish stuff. The League of Ireland will always remain lower division to the bright lights of the Premier league, until someone in the control room at RTE makes the brave decision to throw the two together.

Would it be so ungainly to have screened St Pats excursion to Bucharest on Thursday evening, and bring out the big guns of Ray Houghton, Ronnie Whelan and Eamon Dunphy to analyse?

Instead, we have the situation this week where Houghton, Trevor Steven and anchorman Darragh Maloney discuss the merits or otherwise of Panathinaikos and Atletico Madrid in a Champions League preliminary, while Pats game against former European Cup winners Steaua is steadfastly ignored.

Its not the first time this year that RTE has annoyed the Inchicore faithful. Only two weeks ago, the Nine OClock news carried a feature item on a Liverpool reserve sides game in Dunmanway while failing to mention St Pats win over Russian Premier League side Krylia Sovetov on the same evening.

Still, perhaps RTE, as is its remit, is just reflecting the inclinations of the populace. When a team of nobodies who happen to share a training ground with Stevie Gerrard can sell out a couple of temporary stands in west Cork, while tickets were freely available for European games involving Bohemians and Pats, then maybe the game here deserves such indifference.

For Irish clubs and their governing body, winning the hearts and minds of the Irish public is an unceasing and thankless battle. On the evidence of this weeks scheduling, its one they show few signs of winning.

[quote=“north county corncrake”]IRISH PREFER TO WATCH ENGLISH KIDS THAN REAL FOOTBALL

ON MONDAY night, 8,000 ‘fans’ crammed into Dalymount Park to watch Bohemians’ reserves face what was effectively a Liverpool Under-19 side.

On Tuesday night, less than a third of that number were in Dalyer to see a big game between two great rivals.

Bohemians and Dundalk dislike each other and their five games to date this season have produced a lot of goals, six red cards and plenty of talking points.

Flash

Tuesday night was another great grudge match - full of flash points and eventually won 4-2 by Bohemians in a dramatic penalty shootout.

Yet Irish people would rather watch an English youth team going through the motions than a big FAI Cup tie. I don’t understand these halfwits.

Tuesday night’s match was a great cup tie but it certainly wasn’t a one-off - last year’s FAI Cup final between Bohs and Derry City was probably an even better match.

But it is ignored by most Irish people who would instead prefer to spend their hard-earned cash to cheer on kids wearing Liverpool jerseys.

Every club in the League of Ireland knows that bringing over an English team or their youth team will earn them a big gate.

In a few weeks’ time, Tolka Park is hosting England v Ireland legends - and they are expecting around 4,000!

I hear people go on about how we fought to free Ireland from the British less than 90 years ago, yet they have still taken over Ireland.

But this was not a military attack or even a hostile takeover. Oh no, the Premier League has been welcomed into Ireland with open arms by these fans who rarely darken the door of a League of Ireland ground.

People may think I’m being harsh but I have to say what I feel because I love our league and believe in it.

At times, my criticism of the league and the FAI can give the impression that I think the league is rubbish but I certainly don’t.

Quality

And as St Pat’s are showing in the Europa League at the moment, there are top-quality players and teams playing great football throughout the League of Ireland.

I just wish Irish people wearing Liverpool and Manchester United shirts would start wearing Cork or Bohs jerseys instead."[/quote]

Welcome to 3 o’clock

you might speak for you and your mates NCC but not all irish soccer fans are paedophiles you sick fuck…watching kids instead of a game of football…dirt…:clap:

eh thats dermot keelys article:rolleyes:

why was michael feeney so loved within GGA circles by the way?

[quote=“north county corncrake”]eh thats dermot keelys article:rolleyes:

why was michael feeney so loved within GGA circles by the way?[/quote]

never heard of the man…GAA isn’t like league of ireland where its the same 40 people at the match week in week out…croke park gets 80000 through the turnstiles during the summer…surely even a mong like you could understand not everybody knows eachother??..:clap:

he was/is a prominent ulster gga man

fixed that for you…

:smiley:

cutting edge wit as usual from the male spinster

if you’d a choice you would be too…:smiley:

I have a feelgood LOI story but I won’t be posting it until later

you dont have a choice though;) nature made that choice for you

http://www.thefreekick.com/vbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=312&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1250687929

SRFC related i assume

Well you should start a new thread about the new stand opening, two lego stands are better than one.

No mine is Bohs related, but Irish football related on a more general level.

says the man who had to travel 10,000 miles before someone found him attractive…:confused:

thinly veiled " i wish i could afford to go away sometime & try & score a foreign bird as im having no luck at home & i face a bleak future of crying myself to sleep night after night after night, i know as a person its hard to think that anyone will ever find me compatible & the fact that my house smells of urine & i sleep in my own faeces that i sometimes smear on pictures of collie moran is probably unattractive to women but im in suich a rut ill never change"

post by scumpot

[quote=“north county corncrake”]thinly veiled " i wish i could afford to go away sometime & try & score a foreign bird as im having no luck at home & i face a bleak future of crying myself to sleep night after night after night, i know as a person its hard to think that anyone will ever find me compatible & the fact that my house smells of urine & i sleep in my own faeces that i sometimes smear on pictures of collie moran is probably unattractive to women but im in suich a rut ill never change"

post by scumpot[/quote]

jesus that rolled off the keyboard a bit too eaily:eek::eek:…at least now we can see why you married…all together now - no more lonely nights…
convicts offspring is hardly the type of foreign bird i’d be into to be honest…:smiley:

Jesus. Chin up cocktake