The Magic of the 2017 FA Cup

I’ve no idea what I’m saying

1 Like

I’m also withdrawing my support for the Football Association Cup for at least the next month and believe the competition should now be downgraded to obscure midweek slots, at least until such time as penalty shoot-outs are eliminated, the draw returns to a traditional format with balls pulled from a velvet bag, the semi-finals return to being played at Villa Park/Maine Road/Elland Road/Highbury/White Hart Lane/Highfield Road, and the final is played at the old Wembley Stadium (the one with a dog track) with a 3pm kick-off.

Everton’s elimination yesterday, thereby preventing a Liverpool-Everton final for the 28th season in a row, reinforces my view.

The annual shtick of “the magic of the Cup”, “it’s the competition that everybody talks about”, “the greatest Cup competition in the world” is wearing very thin - none of this is true.

The competition is now a nuisance.

When a competition has to rely on such saccharine marketing shtick to drum up interest, it’s proof of the competition’s irrelevance.

Compare that to how the BDO World Championship at Lakeside has held onto its cherished traditions and thus remains the sport’s showpiece event that it always has been…

2 Likes

Fairly uninspiring fourth round draw there.

Adventure is out there

Nice scrappy old school cup tie here in Cambridge.

Atmospheric. Nice to see a pitch cutting up a bit for a change.

2 Likes

MOT

1 Like

Hey, hey, we’re the Monk-ees.

1 Like

P45 for Big Mick.

1 up Lucas

Those young lads don’t look up to much. Woodburn has been poor. Sturrridge gash again. He’s given up.

Origi misses penalty

Long scores

They’re only young lads, relax.

I was impressed with Woodburn in the 2nd half to be honest, especially his touch and vision

You’re up very late, pal.

If turning in now pal, g’night

Dunno, if you’re good enough you’re old enough. They were playing Plymouth. Harry Wilson looked the best of them even though he wasn’t on that long. Not including Gomez and TAA among those. They’re decent.

G’wan the Lions !!!

NOLUWDC