The Next McGeady?

SPL fans? Should be interesting to see what happens McCarthy when they travel to play the Huns in the league cup during the week.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/latestnews/Irish-accuse-SPL-fans-of.4631005.jp

Irish accuse SPL fans of racist abuse

AN IRISH politician has called on the Republic’s foreign minister to write to First Minister Alex Salmond about “racist abuse” directed at the footballer James McCarthy.

Joe McHugh, a member of Fine Gael, said fans at some SPL venues had sung The Famine Song at the player.

On Saturday Rangers fans amended it to: “James McCarthy why don’t you go home?”

surprised no one has mentioned cillian sheridan scoring on Saturday?

Is he any use?

[quote=“dancarter”]surprised no one has mentioned cillian sheridan scoring on Saturday?

Is he any use?[/quote]

Mentioned over on the Celtic-Hibs thread Danny.

I like him but there’s loads of work to be done. He’s only young and spent most of his formative years as a gaelic footballer and seems to have taken up soccer fairly late.

Made his Celtic debut two seasons ago when he set up the winning goal away to ICT but has had a terrible run of injuries since. Strachan evidently rates him though because he’s had him in the squad quite a bit whenever fitness allowed.

Still needs to get plenty of reserve football under his belt because he’s very raw but he’s tall enough and quick enough to suggest he could be a good player - very like Craig Beattie who was a similar player at Celtic before injuries eventually took their toll and he stopped improving.

Saw him at the huns game last season with Bandage when he seemed to be just going to the game as a fan, the same as everyone else. He looked a little awestruck when he saw the matching TFK hoodies.

Barcelona track Hamilton’s Scottish Premier League star McCarthy.

Barcelona, usually linked with the world’s leading players, are monitoring the progress of Hamilton Academical’s James McCarthy, according to the teenager’s agent.

McCarthy, 18, has been watched by a number of leading Premier League clubs but the midfielder’s agent, George Gray, said: 'Barcelona have asked me to keep them informed about James’s situation.

'There are a number of English clubs keeping tabs on his progress, too. He has been down to Liverpool but for the moment he is enjoying playing in the Scottish Premier League for Hamilton.

‘This is his first year playing against the likes of Celtic and Rangers and his performances have been particularly impressive.’
McCarthy made his full debut for Hamilton against Ayr on Nov 11, 2006; a day before his 16th birthday. He signed a three-year contract last May after Hamilton were promoted.

McCarthy’s scored twice today in the Hamilton’s HUGE derby against Motherwell. 2-0 with ten minutes to go.

After clearing one off his own goalline as well…How old is he now bandage…18?..

http://breakingnews.ie/sport/hamilton-reject-pompey-bid-for-midfield-starlet-409585.html

Hamilton reject Pompey bid for midfield starlet

Portsmouth have had a written offer for Hamilton’s teenage winger James McCarthy rejected by the SPL club.

McCarthy has taken the SPL by storm in his debut season and his form was recognised at the weekend when he was named the league’s Young Player of the Year.

The 18-year-old has a contract with the Accies until 2011, however, his performances have raised the attention of a number of clubs, with Celtic also apparently keen on the player.

Portsmouth have been the first of those clubs to make a formal offer, believed to be worth 500,000 (€565,663), with Hamilton chairman Ronnie McDonald revealing the bid had been rejected.

“Portsmouth have made a written, formal offer for James but we have rejected it out of hand as it does not come close to our valuation of the player,” McDonald told the Daily Record.

"James has two years left on his contract and has repeatedly said he is happy here. He and the rest of our talented young players know we will not stand in their way when an offer comes in that right for them and for the club.

“There have been a lot of verbal inquiries and offers for James, but Portsmouth is the first written offer.”

McCarthy revealed after receiving his Young Player of the Year award on Sunday that he would consider extending his current Accies deal, although he did not rule out a summer move.

“I’m happy with what I’m doing for this club and if someone comes in, we’ll sit down and speak,” he said.

“Definitely. I’m happy with what I’m doing here so we just need to sit down and talk.”

What think ye? Should he move or stay another year at Hamilton?
And if moves, should he join a big club like Liverpool (who’ve come in for him before) or a team like Portsmouth where he’d probably get a fair bit of first team football.

[quote=“Thrawneen”]What think ye? Should he move or stay another year at Hamilton?
And if moves, should he join a big club like Liverpool (who’ve come in for him before) or a team like Portsmouth where he’d probably get a fair bit of first team football.[/QUOTE]

Portsmouth are a sinking ship. Everton would be a good move for him

[quote=“Thrawneen”]What think ye? Should he move or stay another year at Hamilton?
And if moves, should he join a big club like Liverpool (who’ve come in for him before) or a team like Portsmouth where he’d probably get a fair bit of first team football.[/QUOTE]

you do know there are other teams playing football outside of the EPL:rolleyes:

take off the anglophile glasses

[quote=“north county corncrake”]you do know there are other teams playing football outside of the EPL:rolleyes:

take off the anglophile glasses[/QUOTE]

Have any of those clubs made bids for him?

yes

Which ones are they?

(It’s like conversing with a truculent 6 year old with you)

[quote=“Thrawneen”]Which ones are they?

(It’s like conversing with a truculent 6 year old with you)[/QUOTE]

gronigen

Did you hear that Thrawneen…FC Gron-i-gen.

cat got your tongue thrawneen?

It’s like conversing with a truculent 4 year old with Thrawneen

If a big club like Leeds came in I wouldn’t be one bit surprised to see him jump at the chance of playing at a higher level(championship) next year…Would have the opportunity to play other superb young talents like Delph and Howson and the best centre forward in Britain outside the premier league…

It’s Groningen actually. There’s an n before the last g.

I’m busy studying for an exam. It’s in 5 and a bit hours, please accept my apologies.

[quote=“Thrawneen”]It’s Groningen actually. There’s an n before the last g.

I’m busy studying for an exam. It’s in 5 and a bit hours, please accept my apologies.[/QUOTE]

There are two n’s before the last g. One of them is right beside it though.

Don’t think he should move for the sake of it. If a club that values him comes in and they have a programme for his development then take it, if someone’s just taking a punt then he’s probably better where he is because Hamilton are looking after him fairly well.