The Next McGeady?

Doyle is far better than Georgios. Celtic wouldnt get either Love or Pav.

[quote=“therock67;175149][QUOTE=KIB man”]

He never played for any Glasgow team as far as I’m aware.[/QUOTE]

Thats what I thought. Your earlier statement was misleading.

[quote=“KIB man”]

Thats what I thought. Your earlier statement was misleading.[/QUOTE]

The original statement was badly worded.

Apology accepted.

He didnt apologise, idiot.

Your like a bad penny - something that contributes fuck all but just cant get rid of. Stay to the wanking thread where your expertise is more appreciated.

KIB Man is seething.

:wink:

Celtic’s offer is a touch on the derisory side!

GORDON STRACHAN today confirmed Celtic had entered the race to sign Hamilton Accies wonder kid James McCarthy.

The Parkhead boss has admitted that the 18-year-old is a player he would like to add to his squad, and has now handed over the job of landing the sought-after midfielder to chief executive Peter Lawwell.

Strachan promises a warm welcome for McCarthy if he does find his way to Celtic Park, but is now resigned to the fact he can do no more as it is all down to money.

Celtic have already had an offer of 200,000 now and the a further 200,000 in 12 months rejected by Hamilton, and Strachan reported there are no further developments at the moment.

He said: “Peter is looking after that.”

When asked how keen he would be to add the teenager to his squad, Strachan was slightly more expansive and replied: “Keen enough to ask Peter to go and try to sign him.”

But the manager is aware that Celtic will have to dig deeper - much deeper - if they are to beat off the strong competition for the Republic of Ireland player.

Accies already have a statement of interest from several clubs south of the border and a verbal offer worth 2million from Swansea City for the player.

The best bid from Parkhead - who have been tracking the player for more than year - would see 200,000 paid up front with a further 200,000 payment heading to New Douglas Park a year later.

McCarthy would be rewarded with a wage of around 500,000 per year.

Hamilton are in no hurry to sell, believing the value of McCarthy - who is under contract for another two years - will only increase with the more experience he gains.

And, though McCarthy is known to favour a move to Celtic, banking on this being their trump card would be a highly risky strategy for the SPL champions to adopt.

The Parkhead club recognise that, more than ever before, the Scottish market is where they primarily have to look for new signings as the prices and wages being demanded outwith this country are making it more and more difficult for them to shop there.

But the top talent in Scotland is also in demand from clubs outwith these borders.

And Swansea - ambitious to make the lucrative jump out of the Championship into the Premiership - are prepared to back manager Roberto Martinez’s valuation of McCarthy.

Former Motherwell player Martinez knows the scene here, and recently signed Stephen Dobbie from Queen of the South.

With striker Jason Scotland a 5m target for Fulham, Martinez expects to have serious money to spend this summer, and he is also desperate to beat Celtic to the signing of Espanyol midfielder Jordi Gomez, who has made a big impression during his loan spell with them this season.

Martinez was at Parkhead on Tuesday talent spotting at the Celtic v Dundee United game, then took another look at McCarthy the following night as Accies lost 1-0 to Falkirk.

Thomas Cerny is also understood to have caught his eye, though Accies recently secured the Czech keeper who has been on loan to them this year on a new contract.

But it is McCarthy who is Swansea’s priority, and they are willing to move quickly to beat Celtic, Liverpool - who have had him down on trial -and Middlesbrough in the race to land the Republic of Ireland midfielder.

Portsmouth have also asked to be kept informed after having their initial offer for 400,000 rejected by Accies.

Willie McKay - who helped Scott Brown make the move from Hibs to Celtic - has now taken over representation of the youngster from Barry Hughes, who has looked after his interests up until this point, and this is seen as an indication that a move is imminent.

Accies boss Billy Reid is determined the flurry of interest will not be allowed to distract Accies from their fight to avoid relegation, and remains confident the mature youngster won’t lose his focus in their two remaining games.

He said: “We’re keeping James informed at all times of the situation.”

Accies would prefer to keep Mccarthy for at least one more year. Failing that, they want all transfer negotiations to be delayed until the end of the season.

But, now that bidding has begun, they recognise this is a forlorn hope and that all they can only control is their response, which, to this point, has been a firm rejection of any overtures from predators.

Celtic’s offer is a touch on the derisory side!

GORDON STRACHAN today confirmed Celtic had entered the race to sign Hamilton Accies wonder kid James McCarthy.

The Parkhead boss has admitted that the 18-year-old is a player he would like to add to his squad, and has now handed over the job of landing the sought-after midfielder to chief executive Peter Lawwell.

Strachan promises a warm welcome for McCarthy if he does find his way to Celtic Park, but is now resigned to the fact he can do no more as it is all down to money.

Celtic have already had an offer of 200,000 now and the a further 200,000 in 12 months rejected by Hamilton, and [b]Strachan reported there are no further developments at the moment.

He said: “Peter is looking after that.”

When asked how keen he would be to add the teenager to his squad, Strachan was slightly more expansive and replied: “Keen enough to ask Peter to go and try to sign him.”[/b]

But the manager is aware that Celtic will have to dig deeper - much deeper - if they are to beat off the strong competition for the Republic of Ireland player.

Accies already have a statement of interest from several clubs south of the border and a verbal offer worth 2million from Swansea City for the player.

The best bid from Parkhead - who have been tracking the player for more than year - would see 200,000 paid up front with a further 200,000 payment heading to New Douglas Park a year later.

McCarthy would be rewarded with a wage of around 500,000 per year.

Hamilton are in no hurry to sell, believing the value of McCarthy - who is under contract for another two years - will only increase with the more experience he gains.

And, though McCarthy is known to favour a move to Celtic, banking on this being their trump card would be a highly risky strategy for the SPL champions to adopt.

The Parkhead club recognise that, more than ever before, the Scottish market is where they primarily have to look for new signings as the prices and wages being demanded outwith this country are making it more and more difficult for them to shop there.

But the top talent in Scotland is also in demand from clubs outwith these borders.

And Swansea - ambitious to make the lucrative jump out of the Championship into the Premiership - are prepared to back manager Roberto Martinez’s valuation of McCarthy.

Former Motherwell player Martinez knows the scene here, and recently signed Stephen Dobbie from Queen of the South.

With striker Jason Scotland a 5m target for Fulham, Martinez expects to have serious money to spend this summer, and he is also desperate to beat Celtic to the signing of Espanyol midfielder Jordi Gomez, who has made a big impression during his loan spell with them this season.

Martinez was at Parkhead on Tuesday talent spotting at the Celtic v Dundee United game, then took another look at McCarthy the following night as Accies lost 1-0 to Falkirk.

Thomas Cerny is also understood to have caught his eye, though Accies recently secured the Czech keeper who has been on loan to them this year on a new contract.

But it is McCarthy who is Swansea’s priority, and they are willing to move quickly to beat Celtic, Liverpool - who have had him down on trial -and Middlesbrough in the race to land the Republic of Ireland midfielder.

Portsmouth have also asked to be kept informed after having their initial offer for 400,000 rejected by Accies.

Willie McKay - who helped Scott Brown make the move from Hibs to Celtic - has now taken over representation of the youngster from Barry Hughes, who has looked after his interests up until this point, and this is seen as an indication that a move is imminent.

Accies boss Billy Reid is determined the flurry of interest will not be allowed to distract Accies from their fight to avoid relegation, and remains confident the mature youngster won’t lose his focus in their two remaining games.

He said: “We’re keeping James informed at all times of the situation.”

Accies would prefer to keep Mccarthy for at least one more year. Failing that, they want all transfer negotiations to be delayed until the end of the season.

But, now that bidding has begun, they recognise this is a forlorn hope and that all they can only control is their response, which, to this point, has been a firm rejection of any overtures from predators.

Shit, just realised this implies Strachan is planning to be Celtic manager next season.

Gone to Wolves for 1.5 million apparently. Celtic offered 300k. Deary me. Hope he is a big success in EPL.

You have got to be shittin’ me. 300k. Fuck sake thats chump change.

Wigan have bid for Mccarthy too and couple of other EPL clubs interested in signing him apparently. Mowbray ruled out a move to Celtic as it would be too expensive

Has Mogga spoken publicly on it, larry? The Scottish red tops were reporting this morning that Celtic were preparing a ‘last ditch’ effort to land him. Of course, they might typically be setting up tomorrow’s ‘McCarthy turns his back on Celtic move’ story whether we’ve bid for him or not.

Accies have reportedly agreed a fee with Wolves and Wigan of around 2million but the Parkhead club have also been linked with the Republic of Ireland Under-21 international.

However, asked if the 18-year-old was on his radar, Mowbray replied: “No, I would suggest not with the numbers that have been bandied around at the moment.”

Mowbray, however, will have the services next season of Landry N’Guemo who signed on a year-long loan from French club Nancy.

Celtic have the option of making the move permanent at the end of the season if the 23-year-old Cameroon international impresses

“We are happy to have him on board”, Mowbray said.

"He creates competition in a part of the field where we are a bit lighter than last year with Nakamura and Hartley moving on.

“I am looking forward to working with him and seeing how he gets on.”

N’Guemo was glad of a chance to join the Parkhead side, saying: "I feel very happy.

“I joined because Celtic is a big club and it was a pleasure to know that Celtic wanted me.”

Looks like young James has chosen Wigan over Wolves, probably the smarter move as the seem to be established in the EPL now and Martinez will probab;y get them playing a bit more football than Brucey did…

After signing a five-year-deal with Wigan last night, James McCarthy spoke out about his disappointment in missing out on a dream move to his boyhood heroes Celtic.

The Hoops were always the number one destination of choice for the talented youngster, and speaking to The Daily Record, McCarthy promised he would do all he could to prove Celtic wrong by making a name for himself in the Premier League.

"If Celtic had paid the money I would have been happy to go there as I’m a lifelong fan of the club,” he said. “But Tony Mowbray didn’t think I was worth it.

“Peter Lawwell phoned my agent when my dad was there last week and it’s great to know that a club of Celtic’s stature is interested in you but it wasn’t to be.”

He continued: "They [Celtic] haven’t paid the money so I’m looking forward to my move down south and Wigan are a club I couldn’t knock back. Everything about the place, the manager and the way he wants to play football will suit my style.”

By his own admission, the departure to Wigan is a fantastic opportunity. As well as essentially making him a millionaire overnight, the move will give the creative midfielder the best possible platform to take his career to the next stage:

“Sometimes it’s best to move to the bigger picture and I feel I can go to Wigan and prove I am worth the money they have spent on me. I have the faith in my ability to show I’m able to play at this level.”

The very best of luck to the young Irishman on his move.

from rte.ie

Wigan Athletic manager Roberto Martinez believes the Republic of Ireland’s under-21 midfielder James McCarthy is finally ready to play a major part in the second half of the season.

The 19-year-old joined the Latics from Hamilton in the summer but has been held back from the first team by Martinez to allow him a period of adjustment.

But after two substitute appearances, one in the Barclays Premier League and the other in the Carling Cup, the Irishman made his first start in the 4-1 FA Cup win over Hull last weekend.

McCarthy marked the occasion with his first Wigan goal and Martinez believes his decision to take his time with the midfielder will pay off.

‘He showed on Saturday that he is ready. We all know James is going to be a big star in world football,’ said the Spaniard.

'He has been working very hard and lately you could see he was ready in training and on

‘Saturday he showed that he was ready to enjoy his football and ready to win games for Wigan.’

Martinez revealed last season’s Scottish Young Player of the Year had started to become irritiated at his lack of opportunities but he recognised that as a positive sign.

‘When you get frustrated it is because you are ready to play,’ said the Latics boss.

'Sometimes you get a big move into the Premier League and with the change of environment it is very different and sometimes you lose the focus on your game.

'It was a big move for him as a young man when he came down from Scotland as it was the first time he had moved away from his only club and that takes time.

'It is important we help the youngsters - and every player that comes to Wigan.

'James has had the period he needed to settle in and now he is ready to play football and enjoy it.

‘When he does that I’m sure the fans will enjoy it too.’

If McCarthy can now seriously challenge for a first-team place it may allow Martinez the chance to look for cover for other positions in the transfer window.

He is in desperate need of a striker to ease the burden on Hugo Rodallega as 2million summer signing from Swansea, with Jason Scotland yet to score in the Premier League.

The imminent move of forward Olivier Kapo to Boulogne will give some scope to bolster attacking options further but Martinez has not ruled out further departures, having already sent South Korean Cho Won-Hee back to former club Suwon Samsung Bluewings on a 12-months loan.

‘It was a very positive exercise in the FA Cup against Hull when you look at players like Scott Sinclair (on loan from Chelsea), James McCarthy and Antonio Amaya,’ said Martinez, who has again been linked with Celtic striker Scott McDonald.

'There are four positions we need to strengthen but that could be strengthening with players we already have in the squad.

'Sometimes you can cover positions with players you have in the squad but by the time this transfer window closes we need to be a stronger squad than we are now for the demands of the Premier League.

‘We need that extra competition and there are areas we can improve.’

Despite what the negative types like KIb and bandage say that can’t see the bigger picture, i think we could have a right handy team in a few year.