The Next McGeady?

[quote=“KIB man”]Couple of times - didnt make much of an impression. Kept mixing up with some McAndrews or something that looks like him. Neither were great.

I was expecting him to be running the game.[/QUOTE]

Strange, you said you’d never watched an SPL game a while back.

Care to reference that remark?

Watched McCarthy against Rangers this season. It was pissing rain. Watched it for about an hour.

[quote=“KIB man”]Care to reference that remark?

Watched McCarthy against Rangers this season. It was pissing rain. Watched it for about an hour.[/QUOTE]

You expected an 18 year old to be running the game for a newly promoted team against the current joint league leaders.

The noises coming from camp McCarthy suggest he’s his mind made up about coming to Celtic. It’s hard to gauge what’s a fair price for an 18-year old with only 1 season of SPL experience behind him and you have to factor in his potential, what other clubs are offering and the current financial climate. Now that he’s seemingly decided on Celtic, the establishment Scottish media will set about trying to drive the price up and I await a flurry of stories about ‘significantly higher’ bids from England etc. We’ll probably give them a sell on clause and a few of our young players such as Paul McGowan along with whatever final fee is agreed. A front 6 of these would send fear across Europe:

_Crosas

McCarthy___Brown

Maloney___________McGeady

‘Tall, athletic, prolific striker’

Today’s Daily Ranger has the following:

Celtic can have James McCarthy… but price must be right, says Hamilton boss Billy Reid

May 15 2009 By Chris Roberts

HAMILTON boss Billy Reid last night told James McCarthy he won’t stand in his way after Celtic made their first moves to land the midfield star.

As Record Sport exclusively revealed yesterday, the SPL champions have launched a bid to make him the highest-paid teenager in Scottish football history, although their initial approach - thought to be in the region of 500,000 - has been rejected.

Chairman Ronnie MacDonald refuses to reveal details of the offer but it prompted the club to slap a gag on the brilliant 18-year-old.

Celtic are willing to pay the player close to 10,000 a week and Reid said: "I would love to work with James as long as I can but I would never stand in his way or try to hinder his development.

"The development and progress he has made at Hamilton has been staggering. I think we could develop him more but there will come a time when he wants to leave.

“If James does move on this summer then I certainly will not be the guy that stands in his way, and that I guarantee.”

The player would prefer a move to Celtic rather than Tottenham, Middlesbrough and Portsmouth, who have already had a 400,000 offer kicked into touch.

But Reid has urged MacDonald not to part company with the exciting young star until the price is right.

He said: "James is an asset for this football club. If he has to move on then the club have got to get the going rate for him.

“He is learning all the time with us so I would be delighted if he stays but I just want the best for James McCarthy.”

After all the hype about him, I expected him to run the game easily. The SPL is awful and if Barca and Bayern were after this guy I reckoned there must be something special about him. There was a big push at the time to get him into the Irish squad. The only time I noticed him was when the crowd started booing. He barely featured.

With all due respect to Glasgow Celtic if he was that good, he wouldnt have a choice but to go to a better club. Hope I’m proved wrong but I really cant see it.

[quote=“Bandage”]The noises coming from camp McCarthy suggest he’s his mind made up about coming to Celtic. It’s hard to gauge what’s a fair price for an 18-year old with only 1 season of SPL experience behind him and you have to factor in his potential, what other clubs are offering and the current financial climate. Now that he’s seemingly decided on Celtic, the establishment Scottish media will set about trying to drive the price up and I await a flurry of stories about ‘significantly higher’ bids from England etc. We’ll probably give them a sell on clause and a few of our young players such as Paul McGowan along with whatever final fee is agreed. A front 6 of these would send fear across Europe:

_Crosas

McCarthy___Brown

Maloney___________McGeady

‘Tall, athletic, prolific striker’

Today’s Daily Ranger has the following:[/QUOTE]

Would cost a small fortune to get his name on the back of your shirt.

I’d love if we could get someone like Helmes or even Kiessling from Leverkusen. Helmes is more prolific but Kiessling is the bigger guy.

[quote=“therock67”]Would cost a small fortune to get his name on the back of your shirt.

I’d love if we could get someone like Helmes or even Kiessling from Leverkusen. Helmes is more prolific but Kiessling is the bigger guy.[/QUOTE]

Would ye not go for Doyle? He could be tempted I’d say.

Not good/prolific enough if we go with a lone frontman, which is what I’d prefer. He could be useful as a squad player if we’re going with 2 strikers though. Work across the line, win some headers and take some physical punishment and the other striker would reap the benefit of his donkeywork hopefully.

Lad, he’s a far better striker than the clowns ye have already and has proven he can score goals.

I reckon he’d hack it up in the SPL if McGeady could be counted upon the deliver some decent crosses.

[quote=“KIB man”]Lad, he’s a far better striker than the clowns ye have already and has proven he can score goals.

I reckon he’d hack it up in the SPL if McGeady could be counted upon the deliver some decent crosses.[/QUOTE]

Nowhere near as good as Vennegoor of Hesselink, who admittedly is injury plagued and might be sold, while McDonald is a completely different style of striker but scores much more goals. Samaras is an enigma but I wouldn’t consider Doyle to be superior to him either. He’s a decent player but not better than what’s there in my opinion. I’d take Vagner Love or Pavyluchenko myself.

Would Celtic have any interest again in Anthony Stokes? Someone over on another forum said he’s considering MLS.

Neither Vagner Lover or Pavyluchenko would go to Celtic…

Talk about delusional. Samaras is crap. Afraid of his own shadow and just plain shite. Complete failure in the EPL.

VOH is as slow as a wet week and cant score at SPL level.

McDonald has done well in the SPL and in fairness should be kept on even though he has far from the conditioning of a professional footballer.

Sheridan will be back playing for Cavan in a couple of years.

Was impressed by Love against Villa would like us to sign him. Prob cost 15m plus. the russian is a fine player too and well worth signing but would be far far out of Glasgow Celtic’s league.

Would ye consider Andy Reid?

The latter wanted to come last year but Celtic were priced out of the deal. He doesn’t seem to like 'arry Redknapp but was in awe of Celtic Park on the night we beat his Spartak Moscow team on penalties in 2007. He’ll come all right.

Eh Pavyluchenko was there before. What makes you think he wouldn’t go again?

Bandage, I’d be reluctant to get McDonald out of the starting lineup. I know the attraction in going for Maloney and McGeady as supporting strikers but I’d be still more inclined to have McDonald playing up top with a bigger lad alongside to win headers. Maybe I’m just old-fashioned.

You are, I’ve seen your sideburns. In fairness, Skippy’s done the business and already has 50 goals for Celtic. The lad’s scored winners against Milan and at Ibrox, got a beauty against Manchester United, scored that night against Spartak Moscow and scored a double late last season against the huns on our title charge. He’s been a very successful signing but I don’t think 4-4-2 gets the best of the other players in our squad - it definitely suits Skippy though.

Can this go here?

Scottish Premier League - Injured Broadfoot has egg on face
Eurosport - Fri, 15 May 11:02:00 2009

Rangers defender Kirk Broadfoot was hospitalised after being scalded when an egg exploded in his face.

:pint:
I’m sure you’ll all join me in wishing Kirk a speedy recovery.

[quote=“Thrawneen”]Can this go here?

:pint:
I’m sure you’ll all join me in wishing Kirk a speedy recovery.[/QUOTE]

[quote=“therock67”]Eh Pavyluchenko was there before. What makes you think he wouldn’t go again?
QUOTE]

When did Pavyluchenko play for Glasgow Celtic?

[quote=“KIB man;175115][QUOTE=therock67”]Eh Pavyluchenko was there before. What makes you think he wouldn’t go again?
QUOTE]

When did Pavyluchenko play for Glasgow Celtic?[/QUOTE]

He never played for any Glasgow team as far as I’m aware.