The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

That is essentially my point. However I think Bastick isn’t bad actually and gets a bit of a hard time.

While I agree he does get a hard time (and was run out of Laois by Micko when he came calling, looking back that may have been a mistake but I guess he wasnt a Micko player and was incredibly indisciplined), you’d imagine for all this talent thats there, he would be shuffled on by now or that their gameplan woul have moved on. Hes a very limited player. All joking aside, Eoghan O Gara is another who fits into that category.

Dublin have huge potential and may very well win an All Ireland but its difficult to get carried away, yet about them dominating fr a decade. Underage All Ireland’s dont hold much weight with me.

This notion that Dublin have done nothing to “justify the hype” is illogical, selective and therefore annoying. Farmer was seriously arguing the point that they’ve won nothing yet (apart from a league which he doesn’t count) and that you have to ignore what they won 2 years ago because that wasn’t this year and you can’t count the matches they have won this year because the game against Meath (which Dublin won by 7 points) was too tight. So really Dublin have done nothing.

What sort of killjoy doesn’t allow himself to speculate on how form might continue or whether past performance might be a reasonable indicator of future performance? Dublin have played 3 championship matches this year, and in 2 of those they were excellent. In the third of those they were less impressive but still emphatically dominant against a team who looked decent that day and decent since.

What use is hype after the fact? It’s not hype then, it’s just praise. The purpose of hype and fandom and emotional investment in sport is to speculate, to allow yourself to believe, to dare to dream. It’s not even a huge leap that anyone is making about Dublin. They have been hugely impressive. It is abundantly obvious to everyone that Dublin have not won the All Ireland this year. It doesn’t need to be pointed out. It certainly shouldn’t be used as an argument to knock how Dublin are playing. By all means have a go at their midfield, or their defence or whatever, but just to argue that they’re unproven is to argue that Kev is well connected – it’s self evident.

I don’t think I said that, but if I did, feel free to quote it.

Wow. Just, wow.

Gallagher accuses Mayo of “colluding” with Monaghan

Sunday’s All-Ireland SFC quarter-final between Donegal and Mayo is rapidly becoming the GAA’s biggest grudge match in years.

It follows sensational claims made by Donegal assistant manager Rory Gallagher that Mayo offered advice to Monaghan on how to beat the All-Ireland champions when the counties met in a challenge match before the Ulster final. And this has led Gallagher to believe that the heavy challenge by Monaghan’s Stephen Gollogly that forced Mark McHugh’s early withdrawal, and which left the Kilcar man with concussion, a burst ear drum and a quad muscle injury, was pre-meditated.

“Maybe we suspect there was a bit of collusion between Monaghan and Mayo,” Gallagher said in the Irish News.

"Bear in mind Lee Keegan’s tackle on Mark McHugh at the start of last year’s All-Ireland final. When Lee Keegan got booked, he came out and winked at a team-mate as if to say ‘job done’.

"I don’t believe for one minute that Gollogly went out to do the harm he did. He went out to hit him hard, but our player came out of it badly. I know Gollogly hurt himself as well.

“I don’t believe Malachy O’Rourke sent any player out to ‘do’ anyone. That is not in his nature. But ask some of the top referees to view the incident. Was it a dangerous tackle? It was reckless and dangerous. At the end of the day, that deserves a red card.”

The former Fermanagh star also claimed that well-known sports psychologist Kieran Shannon is advising Mayo manager James Horan on what to say to the media.

“I think Horan works to a pre-mediated script and I think Kieran Shannon is behind a good bit of it,” Gallagher continued.

“I know Shannon fairly well. He was involved with Fermanagh when Malachy O’Rourke was there. I think Shannon is behind Horan’s statements.”

Rory’s losing marbles.

The Ulster final has really rattled Donegal. Amazing for a management team that are supposedly so big into psychology

Agreed, on a serious full tilt at present, expect McHugh to start or e sprung early, ad expect aggro. Mayo have to win this or stay West of the Shannon to be fucked for good.

Maybe they are trying to create some sort of siege mentality in the Donegal camp because the management can see that the players maybe a bit flat and are using this to try light a fire under them.

Good piece by Paddy Heany in the Examiner: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/paddy-heaney/paddy-heaney-managers-driven-by-self-interest-rather-than-whats-right-238555.html

I was glad when Donegal won last year, but have gone off them big style this year. I hope Mayo beat them well.

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 810386, member: 180”]Wow. Just, wow.

Gallagher accuses Mayo of “colluding” with Monaghan

Sunday’s All-Ireland SFC quarter-final between Donegal and Mayo is rapidly becoming the GAA’s biggest grudge match in years.

It follows sensational claims made by Donegal assistant manager Rory Gallagher that Mayo offered advice to Monaghan on how to beat the All-Ireland champions when the counties met in a challenge match before the Ulster final. And this has led Gallagher to believe that the heavy challenge by Monaghan’s Stephen Gollogly that forced Mark McHugh’s early withdrawal, and which left the Kilcar man with concussion, a burst ear drum and a quad muscle injury, was pre-meditated.

“Maybe we suspect there was a bit of collusion between Monaghan and Mayo,” Gallagher said in the Irish News.

"Bear in mind Lee Keegan’s tackle on Mark McHugh at the start of last year’s All-Ireland final. When Lee Keegan got booked, he came out and winked at a team-mate as if to say ‘job done’.

"I don’t believe for one minute that Gollogly went out to do the harm he did. He went out to hit him hard, but our player came out of it badly. I know Gollogly hurt himself as well.

“I don’t believe Malachy O’Rourke sent any player out to ‘do’ anyone. That is not in his nature. But ask some of the top referees to view the incident. Was it a dangerous tackle? It was reckless and dangerous. At the end of the day, that deserves a red card.”

The former Fermanagh star also claimed that well-known sports psychologist Kieran Shannon is advising Mayo manager James Horan on what to say to the media.

“I think Horan works to a pre-mediated script and I think Kieran Shannon is behind a good bit of it,” Gallagher continued.

“I know Shannon fairly well. He was involved with Fermanagh when Malachy O’Rourke was there. I think Shannon is behind Horan’s statements.”[/quote]

Hahah that’s the type of paranoia it usually takes a few years to infect a management team

Mad stuff not really seen since Clare in Loughnanes time!

Mayo to win sam!

Hardly

That’s mental.

It’s good in a way, but it mad that Cork-Dublin is not the biggest game of the weekend (although it will probably be the best).

Is this the most anticipated weekend of football ever? Is it just me being away or is there genuine anticipation

Some cracking games alright. August BH weekend is always when things get tasty - knockout focuses the mind!

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 810422, member: 273”]That’s mental.

It’s good in a way, but it mad that Cork-Dublin is not the biggest game of the weekend (although it will probably be the best).

Is this the most anticipated weekend of football ever? Is it just me being away or is there genuine anticipation[/quote]

Maybe it’s just the Limerick thing, but it seems to me that the football championship has been completely overshadowed by the hurling this year.

[quote=“Rocko, post: 810379, member: 1”]This notion that Dublin have done nothing to “justify the hype” is illogical, selective and therefore annoying. Farmer was seriously arguing the point that they’ve won nothing yet (apart from a league which he doesn’t count) and that you have to ignore what they won 2 years ago because that wasn’t this year and you can’t count the matches they have won this year because the game against Meath (which Dublin won by 7 points) was too tight. So really Dublin have done nothing.

What sort of killjoy doesn’t allow himself to speculate on how form might continue or whether past performance might be a reasonable indicator of future performance? Dublin have played 3 championship matches this year, and in 2 of those they were excellent. In the third of those they were less impressive but still emphatically dominant against a team who looked decent that day and decent since.

What use is hype after the fact? It’s not hype then, it’s just praise. The purpose of hype and fandom and emotional investment in sport is to speculate, to allow yourself to believe, to dare to dream. It’s not even a huge leap that anyone is making about Dublin. They have been hugely impressive. It is abundantly obvious to everyone that Dublin have not won the All Ireland this year. It doesn’t need to be pointed out. It certainly shouldn’t be used as an argument to knock how Dublin are playing. By all means have a go at their midfield, or their defence or whatever, but just to argue that they’re unproven is to argue that Kev is well connected – it’s self evident.[/quote]

Well history has shown a number of false dawns so people will always be wary of the Dubs. Other factors to hold judgement are

• not having played a top team in knock out
  • not come up against a team that can match out-match them physically (Cork could playing the right way)
  • Anyone who has played the game or can read it well can see that they are vulnerable in key positions, No.3&6.
  • They have loads of inexperienced players
  • They have a first year manager, very very rarely do first yer managers win

That’s why people say they have won nothing yet. The All Ireland for the big teams is aimed at this weekend. A number of teams takes risks in training schedules to be right for this weekend.

Personally I think they are exciting and would not have an issue with them winning AI. They are not arrogant, they play the game in a great manner, they have level headed management who encourage players to go and attack and play good football.

But, I still maintain there is a certain nativity. They are almost approaching it the exact opposite from Donegal, getting the attack right first as opposed to the defense right first.

I think if Cork were set up right they would beat Dublin Saturday due to the run in each side has had, but I expect Cork to be just as dumb in their approach and play a style alien to them till about 25-35 mins and they’ll be too far behind at that stage. The win would be enough for Dublin to drive on and they will beat Kerry well in semi.

Then it will be Mayo I suspect. Couldn’t call that now.

[quote=“Rocko, post: 810379, member: 1”]This notion that Dublin have done nothing to “justify the hype” is illogical, selective and therefore annoying. Farmer was seriously arguing the point that they’ve won nothing yet (apart from a league which he doesn’t count) and that you have to ignore what they won 2 years ago because that wasn’t this year and you can’t count the matches they have won this year because the game against Meath (which Dublin won by 7 points) was too tight. So really Dublin have done nothing.

What use is hype after the fact? It’s not hype then, it’s just praise. The purpose of hype and fandom and emotional investment in sport is to speculate, to allow yourself to believe, to dare to dream. It’s not even a huge leap that anyone is making about Dublin. They have been hugely impressive. It is abundantly obvious to everyone that Dublin have not won the All Ireland this year. It doesn’t need to be pointed out. It certainly shouldn’t be used as an argument to knock how Dublin are playing. By all means have a go at their midfield, or their defence or whatever, but just to argue that they’re unproven is to argue that Kev is well connected – it’s self evident.[/quote]

You have just made the exact response I wanted to make to Farmer yesterday evening, except far more eloquently!