The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

As someone who is detached from it somewhat I would say the hurling is definitely the better entertainment this year. I would have seen it the opposite for last few years, hurling really bored me

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 810426, member: 273”]Well history has shown a number of false dawns so people will always be wary of the Dubs. Other factors to hold judgement are

• They have a first year manager, very very rarely do first yer managers win
    [/quote]
    Mick O’Dwyer
    John O’Mahony
    Joe Kernan
    Mickey Harte
    Jack O’Connor

Justin McCarthy
Johnny Clifford
Fr. Michael O’Brien
Ger Loughnane
Michael Bond
John Allen

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 810359, member: 180”]While I agree he does get a hard time (and was run out of Laois by Micko when he came calling, looking back that may have been a mistake but I guess he wasnt a Micko player and was incredibly indisciplined), you’d imagine for all this talent thats there, he would be shuffled on by now or that their gameplan woul have moved on. Hes a very limited player. All joking aside, Eoghan O Gara is another who fits into that category.

Dublin have huge potential and may very well win an All Ireland but its difficult to get carried away, yet about them dominating fr a decade. Underage All Ireland’s dont hold much weight with me.[/quote]

I think O Gara has a part to play to be honest. He was excellent in the 2010 semi final where he played almost a Cascarino style role up front on his own for a lot of the match feeding Brogan. Skills look to have improved a lot as well. He will never be the most stylish but I think he has the potential to be very effective as a sub if they wanted to change approach a little bit late on.

I am well aware that I am in a significant minority in this view. Every Dub fan I know thinks he is a donkey! Id take him Leeside if he wanted to…look at Pierce O Neill and how he has developed since his underdogs days…similar skills profile to O Gara in the past but pretty effective at what he does

[SIZE=15px][FONT=Georgia][quote=“The Runt, post: 756330, member: 181”]In the past 10 years no team that has been relegated from Div 1 has gotten further than the AI quarter finals in that years championship[/quote][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=15px][FONT=Georgia] [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=15px][FONT=Georgia]Interesting stat…[/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote=“dancarter, post: 810434, member: 122”]I think O Gara has a part to play to be honest. He was excellent in the 2010 semi final where he played almost a Cascarino style role up front on his own for a lot of the match feeding Brogan. Skills look to have improved a lot as well. He will never be the most stylish but I think he has the potential to be very effective as a sub if they wanted to change approach a little bit late on.

I am well aware that I am in a significant minority in this view. Every Dub fan I know thinks he is a donkey! Id take him Leeside if he wanted to…look at Pierce O Neill and how he has developed since his underdogs days…similar skills profile to O Gara in the past but pretty effective at what he does[/quote]

Don’t agree Dan, did you ever see Pierce O Neill play when younger? He obviously improved over time, but he has not improved anywhere near the amount needed for O Gara to improve.

Completely different positions as well.

The GAA loves this shit more than any organisation I know

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=13px]As part of an initiative to temporarily replace the Jubilee Teams for 2013, the GAA has asked a team of selectors to choose 15 players from both codes who made unique contributions to the Association as outstanding players over the course of the 1980s, but who did not win All-Ireland medals.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=13px]The selectors for this exercise are: Martin Breheny (Irish Independent), Seán Moran (Irish Times), Michael Lyster (RTÉ Television), Brian Carthy (RTÉ Radio) (all All-Star Steering Committee members), Jim O’Sullivan (formerly Irish Examiner) and Mártan Ó Ciardha (formerly Raidió na Gaeltachta).[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=13px]Uachtarán Chumann Lúthchleas Gael Liam Ó Néill said: “We have a unique opportunity this year to acknowledge players in both football and hurling who made outstanding contributions to their chosen code and indeed the Association as a whole.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=13px]“So many players excelled on the highest stage over the course of the decade that was the 1980s, many of whom missed out on the honour of winning an All-Ireland medal.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=13px]“This is one way of acknowledging their input on the highest profile days in our calendar.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=13px]“I would like to thank the journalists who have been charged with selecting the teams which is no easy task and I hope supporters of our games from the decade in question will rise to the challenge by attempting to come with the same or similar line ups.”[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=13px]We are asking GAA supporters to submit their teams numbered 1-15 and see how close they can get to the teams produced by our selection panel.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=13px]All entries should be emailed to competitions@gaa.ie or posted to Stars of the 80s Competition, GAA Communications Department, Croke Park, Dublin 3.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=13px]The closest or matching teams will win two All-Ireland final tickets for the code in question. In the event of multiple matching teams a draw will take place and the GAA’s decision will be final in this regard.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=13px]The closing date for entries is noon on Friday August 9 2013. See gaa.ie for terms and conditions.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=13px]Both sets of players will be introduced to the crowd on All-Ireland final day of their specific code.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=13px]The 1988 All-Ireland winners in football and hurling, Meath and Galway respectively, were honoured last year along with the 1987 winners.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Mick O’Dwyer- correct
John O’Mahony - incorrect
Joe Kernan - correct
Mickey Harte - ? Was 2003 his first year?
Jack O’Connor ?

Justin McCarthy - incorrect
Johnny Clifford - Incorrect
Fr. Michael O’Brien - incorrect
Ger Loughnane - Incorrect
Michael Bond - correct
John Allen - correct

Not sure about ?'s, but think you are wrong about a couple of them as well.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 810441, member: 273”]Don’t agree Dan, did you ever see Pierce O Neill play when younger? He obviously improved over time, but he has not improved anywhere near the amount needed for O Gara to improve.

Completely different positions as well.[/quote]

never saw him underage no, but never played underage at any level for Cork, and didnt play Snr til his mid 20s so he might have been decent player, but was ignored or improved significantly when he got older…and I think he has improved a lot even since he has come on the senior panel.

Think O Gara gets a hard time to be honest, and whilst yes, they play different positions, they are both big tall athletic players who are a handful to mark.

if Dubs had won the AI in 2010 O Gara would probably have an allstar!!

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 810448, member: 273”]Mick O’Dwyer- correct
Joe Kernan - correct
Jack O’Connor ?

Not sure about ?'s, but think you are wrong about a couple of them as well.[/quote]

2003 was Hartes first year with the Seniors
99% sure 98 was JOM’s first year also.
JOC’s first year was 2004

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 810448, member: 273”]Mick O’Dwyer- correct
Joe Kernan - correct
Jack O’Connor ?

Justin McCarthy - incorrect
Johnny Clifford - Incorrect
Fr. Michael O’Brien - incorrect
Ger Loughnane - Incorrect
Michael Bond - correct
John Allen - correct

Not sure about ?'s, but think you are wrong about a couple of them as well.[/quote]
I’m correct on all of them, Kev.

Val Daly was the Galway player-manager in 1997, O’Mahony took over for '98.

Art McRory and Eugene McKenna managed Tyrone in 2002, Harte took over for 2003.

Paidi O’Se was sacked as Kerry manager after Tyrone beat them in '03 and Jack O’Connor took over for '04.

Justin McCarthy and Fr. Michael O’Brien took over as joint managers from Johnny Clifford after Cork lost to Kilkenny in 1983. Cork went on to win in 1984. They were sacked after losing to Galway in 1985 and Clifford took over again for 1986, beating Galway. O’Brien took over again for 1990, replacing Charlie McCarthy who had managed in '88 and '89.

Loughnane had been assistant to Len Gaynor with Clare in '94 but took over himself for '95.

Predictions for the weekend:

Donegal v Mayo

Mayo - Think they are physically & mentally primed, and ready to take down this bruised and battered Donegal team. They might not know it, or want to admit it, but Donegals hunger has been sated somewhat by last years All Ireland win. Mayos appetite for same should prove too much for them.

Cork V Dublin

Dublin - But only just, Cork still have enough quality players to cause serious trouble for this Dublin team but I think they’ll probably just come up short. Could be the game of the weekend.

Tyrone V Monaghan

Tyrone - Toughest game to call in my opinion, it won’t be a battle for the faint-hearted. Monaghan badly owe them a beating, but I think Tyrones experience of big games in Croke Park, and the form of Sean Cavanagh may be enough to shade it for them.

Kerry V Cavan

Kerry. Another intriguing clash. It’s hard to know how good Cavan really are…Their win in Derry was very impressive, last weeks v London not so much. Kerry will have been delighted with this draw and their experience should see them through.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 810426, member: 273”]Well history has shown a number of false dawns so people will always be wary of the Dubs. Other factors to hold judgement are

• not having played a top team in knock out
  • not come up against a team that can match out-match them physically (Cork could playing the right way)
  • Anyone who has played the game or can read it well can see that they are vulnerable in key positions, No.3&6.
  • They have loads of inexperienced players
  • They have a first year manager, very very rarely do first yer managers win
    [/quote]

Caoimhaoin, what top teams have any of the provincial winners played ? The only counties going into the quarter finals that can claim they have played top teams or maybe a better phrase would be tough games are Monaghan, Donegal and Tyrone. Dublin have played one of the so called top teams in Kildare. Ok Kildare were shit but they were still classed as a top team and do play in Division 1. Mayo came out of Connaught and we all know that that province is shite. Kerry came out of Munster and lets face it outside of Cork and Kerry, Munster is shit. Leinster is just marginally better than Munster and Dublin got in a tough game against Meath, who as we seen in the last round of the qualifiers are a coming side.

Yes we do have problems at 3 and 6 and some would say that we have only one midfielder as well. Is there any team out there that don’t have problem positions?

As for the inexperienced players, yes we have a fair of them but I think we have the best mix of inexperience with experience. Don’t forget we have Cluxton, Brennan, MacAuley, Flynn, Cullen, Brogan, McMannaman to name but a few of the experienced players in the Dublin panel.

As for the manager being in his first year, yes as a manager but he has been around the Dublin set up for years both as a player, selector and under age manager and you can bet behind the scenes he will have even more experienced people that he can call on for advice.

This weekend will be a big test of Dublin’s credentials for winning the All Ireland.

[quote=“tazdedub, post: 810462, member: 312”]Caoimhaoin, what top teams have any of the provincial winners played ? The only counties going into the quarter finals that can claim they have played top teams or maybe a better phrase would be tough games are Monaghan, Donegal and Tyrone. Dublin have played one of the so called top teams in Kildare. Ok Kildare were shit but they were still classed as a top team and do play in Division 1. Mayo came out of Connaught and we all know that that province is shite. Kerry came out of Munster and lets face it outside of Cork and Kerry, Munster is shit. Leinster is just marginally better than Munster and Dublin got in a tough game against Meath, who as we seen in the last round of the qualifiers are a coming side.

Yes we do have problems at 3 and 6 and some would say that we have only one midfielder as well. Is there any team out there that don’t have problem positions?

As for the inexperienced players, yes we have a fair of them but I think we have the best mix of inexperience with experience. Don’t forget we have Cluxton, Brennan, MacAuley, Flynn, Cullen, Brogan, McMannaman to name but a few of the experienced players in the Dublin panel.

As for the manager being in his first year, yes as a manager but he has been around the Dublin set up for years both as a player, selector and under age manager and you can bet behind the scenes he will have even more experienced people that he can call on for advice.

This weekend will be a big test of Dublin’s credentials for winning the All Ireland.[/quote]

of course its will, its the qtr finals

Yep, I am learning from watching the pundits on TV. :slight_smile:

Kerry played Cork.

And Dublin played Kildare. They are supposedly top team.

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 810454, member: 180”]2003 was Hartes first year with the Seniors
99% sure 98 was JOM’s first year also.
JOC’s first year was 2004[/quote]

John O Mahoney was with Mayo before any Galway team.

“Duty of care”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4-cWSHJdmE

[quote=“Sidney, post: 810458, member: 183”]I’m correct on all of them, Kev.

Val Daly was the Galway player-manager in 1997, O’Mahony took over for '98.

Art McRory and Eugene McKenna managed Tyrone in 2002, Harte took over for 2003.

Paidi O’Se was sacked as Kerry manager after Tyrone beat them in '03 and Jack O’Connor took over for '04.

Justin McCarthy and Fr. Michael O’Brien took over as joint managers from Johnny Clifford after Cork lost to Kilkenny in 1983. Cork went on to win in 1984. They were sacked after losing to Galway in 1985 and Clifford took over again for 1986, beating Galway. O’Brien took over again for 1990, replacing Charlie McCarthy who had managed in '88 and '89.

Loughnane had been assistant to Len Gaynor with Clare in '94 but took over himself for '95.[/quote]

Justin McCarthy had been a manger at IC previously, as had the Canon. John I Mahoney was with Mayo. Clifford lost All Ireland’s before winning.

Jesus Sid you have lost it.

Kildare, didnt even make it to Round 4 despite having a home draw, top team my hole :smiley: