The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

Was listening to it in the car on the way up home. Seemed to be a bit of a beating with Maughan, Carr, Silke, Devenny saying it was as bad of a Galway team as they have ever seen.

Why do they refer to Keith Higgins as ‘the dual player’? Does he actually play hurling for Mayo (in what Championship) or does he just tip about with it for his club? If so, half the Leitrim team are dual players.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 774547, member: 24”]Was listening to it in the car on the way up home. Seemed to be a bit of a beating with Maughan, Carr, Silke, Devenny saying it was as bad of a Galway team as they have ever seen.

Why do they refer to Keith Higgins as ‘the dual player’? Does he actually play hurling for Mayo (in what Championship) or does he just tip about with it for his club? If so, half the Leitrim team are dual players.[/quote]
He captained Mayo hurlers as recently as 2 years ago I think, presume he still togs out but dont know for sure.

Despite being under par for almost the entire game, I thought Armagh would kick on after their goal when it went 1-10 to 1-9. But Cavan then knocked over 4 points in succession and it was a relatively tame Armagh surrender in the end. I guess Cavan deserve praise all the same.

It was a great reaction from Cavan after the goal alright. Armagh lack what they seemed to produce by the dozen for a while, leaders. Plus Paul Grimley’s legend is losing quite a lot of his shine in recent times. They’re very average, and dont get me started on Ciaran McKeever…

Agreed on leaders and not just that - they just don’t have enough good players. Think I’m correct in saying they’re regarded as being progressive and at the forefront (is forefront a word actually?) of coaching/development etc so I thought they’d be producing much better players.

It’s hardly difficult to work out that usually, teams with genuine All-Ireland chances will be playing in Division 1 anyway. It doesn’t mean it’s a necessity. Cork, Down and Donegal have mounted serious All-Ireland challenges in recent years despite being in Division 2 that year.

And didnt win them, which is what Mickey was pointing out. And the gap is widening.

Anyone else think the state of the pitch was hilarious for that Cavan match? The grass seemed to be really long in places and the ball wasn’t bouncing properly on the surface. I thought it was ridiculous.

No

They were regarded as being very progressive a decade ago, but they seem to have fallen quite a bit behind of late and from reading other forums a lot of people up there are disenchanted with the way the county board have been running things. However there is plenty of talent in the county and they should be doing a lot better than they are. I think they’re quite similar to Galway in that regard. I think McGeeney would do well with them if he takes over in the near future. They easily have as much talent as Donegal and McGuinness has shown that contrary to popular belief, the gap between the top teams and the rest isn’t as much as is thought - it’s mainly a matter of organisation. Donegal and Mayo were humiliated in the 2010 championship but two years later they were contesting the All-Ireland final. Fermanagh were a kick of a ball away from an All-Ireland final not too long ago.

So were wexford sid,there’s 4 or teams who can win the AI then there’s maybe 16 to 20 teams who are capable of beating each other on any given day the gap between them isn’t that wide

Those teams didn’t fail to win the All-Ireland because they had been in Division 2 that year and Cork and Donegal didn’t win the All-Ireland the next year because they had been in Division 1. Down were in Division 1 the next year and yet failed miserably in the championship. If Division 1 football was worth as much as is made out they would have kicked on. They didn’t.

The evidence shows that it’s actually easier for weaker teams to compete at the business end of the championship in the modern era. Get the right organisation and the right tactics in place and any county can punch above their weight. Wexford, Sligo and Fermanagh have all seriously competed at the business end of the championship in recent years with very limited teams, because they were organised. Saying you can’t do anything from Division 2 is just another GAA cliche that isn’t borne out by actual facts.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 774559, member: 183”]Those teams didn’t fail to win the All-Ireland because they had been in Division 2 that year and Cork and Donegal didn’t win the All-Ireland the next year because they had been in Division 1. Down were in Division 1 the next year and yet failed miserably in the championship. If Division 1 football was worth as much as is made out they would have kicked on. They didn’t.

The evidence shows that it’s actually easier for weaker teams to compete at the business end of the championship in the modern era. Get the right organisation and the right tactics in place and any county can punch above their weight. Wexford, Sligo and Fermanagh have all seriously competed at the business end of the championship in recent years with very limited teams, because they were organised. Saying you can’t do anything from Division 2 is just another GAA cliche that isn’t borne out by actual facts.[/quote]
When a team wins the All Ireland in the future from Division II, only then will it be proven wrong. Only then.

Teams from Division 1 almost always win the All-Ireland. That is a wonderful and previously unheard of nugget of wisdom that I feel incredibly lucky to have stumbled upon. Thanks, mate, you truly have changed the way I think about the game.

You were an easy spin.

MBB’s intervention here is a textbook example of how not to INTERNET. As lame and listless as Dublin’s performances in last year’s championship.

Intervention? That would suggest I intervened, when in fact, Bandage and I were discussing the matter, at which point, you intervened.

Rookie stuff, INTERNET, FACT, etc.

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 774586, member: 180”]Intervention? That would suggest I intervened, when in fact, Bandage and I were discussing the matter, at which point, you intervened.

Rookie stuff, INTERNET, FACT, etc.[/quote]
When you’re explaining, you’re losing, m8.

m8 :smiley:

End of.

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 774588, member: 180”]m8 :smiley:

End of.[/quote]
I wasn’t asking you where you come from but thanks for telling me anyway. That’s near the toll plaza, isn’t it?