The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

Welcome aboard pal!

Splendid news :clap:

You don’t really get sarcasm do you.

No Kev, I don’t get it at all.

What has Darragh saying Kerry would beat a piss poor Cavan side got to do with ‘this one’?

Mayo v Tyrone this Sunday in the first semi-final.

Tyrone won the league match between these teams in Castlebar in February with a Stephen O’Neill penalty with the last kick of the game. All known form says Mayo this time but I expect it to be closer than most people think. The team that play in the most similar style to Mayo is Dublin and Tyrone is the team that has caused Dublin most problems this year. Tyrone’s game plan I expect will be to bottle the game up as much as possible, stay with Mayo and make the doubts creep in, and Mayo being Mayo, you can never rule out the possibility of them fucking things up.

While Tyrone’s route to this stage hasn’t been impressive the quality of what they’ve beaten is better than what Mayo have beaten in my view. Mayo’s performance against Donegal was very impressive but there may be a comedown. Their defence hasn’t been tested at all in the championship to date. That’s not to say they haven’t improved but we don’t know for sure. Dublin were still able to get goals pretty easily against them in both league matches.

Tyrone have talent in the forward line but they’ll need to seriously step it up as they haven’t been scoring enough from play. Big performances will be needed from Mattie Donnelly and Ronan O’Neill if he starts. Darren McCurry is a player I rate but had a very poor day against Monaghan. They have other talented forwards like Kyle Coney and Conor McAliskey to spring from the bench.

I think Martin Penrose’s absence will be a good thing for Tyrone as he contributed nothing in his time on he pitch against Monaghan.

You’d have to think Tyrone’s build up in attack will probably be too slow though and Mayo should get through by around 3 points. But that said, Tyrone footballers have a tremendous adaptability and the longer they stay with Mayo, the more chance the game will be played on their terms.

Aidan O’Shea’s possible absence with a hamstring injury could be a game changer, however Joe McMahon who is a key player for Tyrone is an injury doubt too.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 820984, member: 183”]Mayo v Tyrone this Sunday in the first semi-final.

While Tyrone’s route to this stage hasn’t been impressive the quality of what they’ve beaten is better than what Mayo have beaten in my view.
[/quote]
Spot on @Sidney

Prediction:
Mayo 0-15
Tyrone 0-12

Cillian O’Connor is out of tomorrow’s game. Both O’Shea’s are rated as no more than 50/50 due to hamstring and groin issues.

:eek:

What??? ooooooohhhh noooooo fuckin hell :eek:

hope O´connor´s shoulder didn´t go again?..

Rubbish.

+1.

Just made the whole thing up for the laugh.

Few random omens and trivia:

Any time Ireland have won a gold medal at the World Athletic Championships Dublin have won the All-Ireland.

The last time Ireland won a gold medal at the World Athletics championships Dublin and Clare won the All-Irelands.

Any time Dublin have beaten Cork in the All-Ireland senior football championship they’ve always won the All-Ireland.

The last time Kilkenny didn’t play a senior hurling championship match in Croke Park (1951), Mayo won their last All-Ireland.

In Mayo’s three previous All-Ireland wins, they’ve beaten Leinster teams in the final (Laois 1936, Louth 1950, Meath 1951).

Any year Mayo have won the All-Ireland, a Munster team has won the hurling.

Rumours on twitter, probably bullshit, that Aidan O’Shea and Andy Moran are injured and won’t be playing.

I will soon be heading off to the Auld Triangle for a few pre-match pints. I have painted my right hand red and will be carrying a “No Gormley, No Party” banner if anyone would like to come up and say hello.

If you get a punch in the face it’s from one of my mates, I’ve tipped them off to your attire and venue.

Just discussed this on newstalk. Well placed source in MO camp thought O Shea would start. Wasn’t sure about Moran.

Pat Spillane just said Andy Moran might not start because of tactics as oppsoed to injury…talk they´ll play barry moran as a third midfielder…