The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

I know I won’t get an answer, but how do you rate them?

What do you think of the provincial championships?

Let I remind you, one of them has 7 teams, another 6, another 9 and another 12.

It’s no big deal to the big teams to win them and it’s too hard for the smaller teams to win them. This they are a waste of time.

With respect, you’re talking utter shite here Kev.

Try telling Monaghan folk they are a waste of time

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 818186, member: 273”]I know I won’t get an answer, but how do you rate them?
[/quote]
Just behind the All Ireland Series, and in front of the League. You placed them alongside the fucking McGrath Cup FFS!

What do you think of the provincial championships?

Meritful but existing in a poorly organised Championship that is unique to the GAA as opposed to other Sporting Organisations around the world.

Let I remind you, one of them has 7 teams, another 6, another 9 and another 12.

See above

It’s no big deal to the big teams to win them and it’s too hard for the smaller teams to win them. This they are a waste of time.

They are anything but a waste of time. You’ve made an eejit out of yourself here and have dug in, which is amusing in its own way

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 818191, member: 180”]Just behind the All Ireland Series, and in front of the League. You placed them alongside the fucking McGrath Cup FFS!

Meritful but existing in a poorly organised Championship that is unique to the GAA as opposed to other Sporting Organisations around the world.

See above

They are anything but a waste of time. You’ve made an eejit out of yourself here and have dug in, which is amusing in its own way[/quote]

You say the champions are poorly structured? Why? What would you change?

Because they are unique doesn’t make them well run or indeed of much value.

I have stated the Monaghan/Sligo type one off’s as a positive, but they are too rare to justify adreadfully imbalanced and strung out championships.

I have not dug in, I have held these views for years, absolutely years. They are proper competitions. You “might” play 4 games, you might play 8 games to win the All Ireland, who knows? It’s utterly ridiculous.

Why are so many Irish people so afraid of change?

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 818194, member: 273”]You say the champions are poorly structured? Why? What would you change?

Because they are unique doesn’t make them well run or indeed of much value.

I have stated the Monaghan/Sligo type one off’s as a positive, but they are too rare to justify adreadfully imbalanced and strung out championships.

I have not dug in, I have held these views for years, absolutely years. They are proper competitions. You “might” play 4 games, you might play 8 games to win the All Ireland, who knows? It’s utterly ridiculous.

Why are so many Irish people so afraid of change?[/quote]
I’m sorry Caoimhaoin, you seem to be moving from the point, I answered your initial questions, purely on the basis that you felt that, say, a Munster Hurling Final is the same as a Waterford Crystal game. This clearly was bullshit. This has nothing to do with change, wanting or not wanting it, it was you talking out of your hole. If you want a suggestion for a changed Championship, dig up Colm Parkinson’s version, thats the future, but that wasn’t the discussion we were having.

Of course it’s the discussion we’re having. You just don’t want to answer my questions as your answers could quite probably lead us to the same conclusions more or less and this will make you look silly.

Consider it a new discussion if you want.

What would you change? What is wrong with the championships now. Your opinion, not some sound bite junkie who "used to be " a good footballer.

Isn’t this the same discussion we had a month ago where I handed you your arse?

"Provincial championships would be played across January and February instead of O’Byrne Cup/FBD etc (these competitions are a complete waste of time and serve no purpose) "

So he wants to put the provincial championships on in Jan-Feb and replace the O Byrne Cups with provincials. Showing this is about where he values them, around O Byrne Cup value. You should really do your research on old wool or first MBB. He’s made a right clown of you here.

Much of the rest of his proposals make sense, and are reasonably similar to something I posted back along.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 818209, member: 273”]Of course it’s the discussion we’re having. You just don’t want to answer my questions as your answers could quite probably lead us to the same conclusions more or less and this will make you look silly.

Consider it a new discussion if you want.

What would you change? What is wrong with the championships now. Your opinion, not some sound bite junkie who "used to be " a good footballer.[/quote]
It seems I’ve gotten you riled up caoimhaoin, which is fair enough given the bind you found yourself in. You want me to revolutionise the GAA Championships here and now? You’ve had this discussion many times, I’ve witnessed it, its pretty difficult have such a discussion with someone who rates a Munster Hurling Final on the same level as a bloody FBD League game.

I’ve just noticed Sidney’s post, backing up my own.

Kev, would you agree that it’s time to abolish county championships, as some are so much easier to win than others?

I mean look at Armagh. The same team has won 16 of the last 17 titles. That’s a joke and surely that competition’s time is up.

That may have happened in your drink fueled dreams Sid, but not in the real world. If you disagree with me on something and take a side, it does not count as arse handing.

Yes, the real world, where you call people fuckwit, moron and idiot, and thus win the argument.

The eloquence of execution.

Just to be clear - I want it on record that Kev isn’t contracted to the website by his own choice. We’ve made him a number of substantial offers over the years but Kev, understandably, wants to retain his creative independence.

So you have nothing to add/propose/discuss.

You used an example of changes made by your fellow county man yet he Re-unforced my point about the provincials being nothing but warm ups by moving them to the glories sunshine months of January and Feb.

I actually could have made you look as foolish as you have managed yourself, well done.

Sid - why would you change the Armagh county championship? It’s fair an equitable and everyone starts at the same page. It’s fair, proven by the fact that the best team can continually win it.

Again a pretty stupid anecdote that backfired.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 818254, member: 273”]
Sid - why would you change the Armagh county championship? It’s fair an equitable and everyone starts at the same page. It’s fair, proven by the fact that the best team can continually win it.

Again a pretty stupid anecdote that backfired.[/quote]
I wouldn’t change it, Kev. What I suggested was a very obvious and unsophisticated wind up, which you, typically, walked right into. :clap:

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 818254, member: 273”]So you have nothing to add/propose/discuss.

You used an example of changes made by your fellow county man yet he Re-unforced my point about the provincials being nothing but warm ups by moving them to the glories sunshine months of January and Feb.

I actually could have made you look as foolish as you have managed yourself, well done.

Again a pretty stupid anecdote that backfired.[/quote]
You are twisting the argument once more camhaoin. I pointed out Parkinson had a valid plan for changing the Championships going forward, it would keep the provincials and streamline the All Ireland Series.

How that would affect the Provincials in the future has nothing to do with what we were discussing now. I agree with the validity of Parkinson’s plan going forward but as things stand now, this year, I disagree with you that a McKenna Cup game on a Thursday night in Letterkenny is the equivalent of a Leinster Football Final in July.

Any man who believes that last line to be true is gone completely off the reservation.

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 818261, member: 180”]

Any man who believes that last line to be true is gone completely off the reservation.[/quote]
Racist

There’s only one cowboy around here pal.

I’ve actually decided to support the 49ers this year.