The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

Canning making a big deal about a block when in reality the ball was kicked at him

Paddy McBrearty has had an excellent match. Set up both goals and kicked a lovely point there.

I wasn’t sure about him in that he never really kicked on from when he came on the scene first but he has been really good today.

How long since Tyrone scored

Thats the gps, they were talking about it on the bbc at h/t. Much better coverage and analysis tbh.

Harte knocking the ball out of Gallagher’s hand there. Idiot.

Very dour game for a finish, poor conditions probably contributed to it but the niggly fouling and amount of frees given away out the field to slow down the game was awful. The likes of Dublin and Kerry won’t be much afraid of Donegal, and Mayo will seriously fancy another cut off them based on this.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 777474, member: 24”]
I wasn’t sure about him in that he never really kicked on from when he came on the scene first but he has been really good today.[/quote]

thats very harsh…i think he was still a minor when he burst on the scene…year after he won all ireland medal…has serious power and strength for someone so young…great footballer…

Hardly. A decent coach could make the Kilkenny hurlers competitive at senior football.

I should send that Tyrone goalie an invoice for the 20 quid he cost me today.

Both teams were shite and will need to improve a lot to do any damage later in the year

I thought some of the frees the Tyrone keeper were having a go at weren’t really scorable.

Also baffled by some of the comments from the commentators. Like before McFadden’s goal when Thompson was seemingly bringing the ball up. There was a foul in midfield for fuck sake.

Seems odd too that none of the analysts have copped the wonderful art of the ball carrier passing to a corner forward then body checking the corner back allowing the corner forward a free shot on goal. It was beautifully executed by Donegal for McFadden’s first point.

Gormley was scandalously negligent for the second goal. Left the bearded sub canter all by himself.

All in all a comfortable win for the champs. Tyrone get very ratty when things go against them.

Gormley was good around the middle when it was bunched but just hasn´t the legs for chasing lads anymore…Joe macmahon had a fookin ´mare…
it looked like Donegal were doing a lot of body checking…what happened to the tyrone sub who got both his nose and head split on two seperate occasions?..

Eamon O Hara washing a lot of linen here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA7S5S4yERc

any chance John OLoughlin would give the hurling a go with Laois??

Doubtful. A great hand on him, and while he has done a bit on and off with Mountmellick and Brigids, you’d feel he’d a bit of a Shane Ryan at this stage. I’d be happy to be proven wrong.

Tyrone actually seemed to be less prepared to deal with Donegal’s intensity than the previous two years, but for all that, they gave themselves a platform where they should have been able to win. They had mountains of possession but were far too anxious when in possession most of the time and they took a lot of wrong options. Donegal’s efficiency was frightening and they got the two goals just when they needed them most but there was a general flatness to their play for the majority of the match. But their system alone will beat most teams anyway and there looks to be little to stop them winning Ulster again now. McBrearty had a really good match and if he continues to deliver, their attacking potency will certainly increase. It will be interesting to see if they can go injury-free through this summer though. I suspect they might not.

Louth must have a tremendous chance of making the Leinster final now. They should kick on and beat Wexford if they play anything like as well as they did today. Wicklow must also have a chance against Meath given that that match will be played in Aughrim.

And the fact Meath are stone cold useless Sid.

Looking at the football highlights this weekend it looked to me like the majority of the goals were palmed in. In hurling you’re not allowed hand pass into the goal and I don’t think you should be in football either, it looks shit.

You aren’t allowed hand pass a goal in football, you can add to the ball with your hand. The handpass point should certainly be banned.

Are you still allowed add to the ball with your hand to score a goal in hurling? I remember Eamon Morrissey doing it against Wexford in 1993.

You’re not allowed to handpass a goal in football either