The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

Ya, it’s cos only real quick counter attacks or the odd long ball over the top misjudged seem to be the only way to score goals now.

Very hard to solo thru or hit a low ball into full forward and receive a lay off or him take on full back with mass defense.

Surprisingly today in AFL, both teams , North Melbourne & Adelaide abdoned the extra back and both played counter attacking running game. It was very entertaining. But it will never happen again as they are both being critisiZed for it by analysts. It’s just the way sport is right now, more about not losing than winning, which of course is silly, but that’s te way it is.

maybe if the Tyrone coach spent less time vouching for rapists and more time training his team they would have done better?

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 777716, member: 273”]Ya, it’s cos only real quick counter attacks or the odd long ball over the top misjudged seem to be the only way to score goals now.

Very hard to solo thru or hit a low ball into full forward and receive a lay off or him take on full back with mass defense.

Surprisingly today in AFL, both teams , North Melbourne & Adelaide abdoned the extra back and both played counter attacking running game. It was very entertaining. But it will never happen again as they are both being critisiZed for it by analysts. It’s just the way sport is right now, more about not losing than winning, which of course is silly, but that’s te way it is.[/quote]

:smiley:
An AFL game and a bogball game is you basis for that bizarre comment

maybe.

I thought Mickey Harte had a poor game on the line today. Taking off McAliskey who looked to have the beating of his man from the little ball played into him was a mistake. Peter Harte has stagnated from being played in the half forward line when he looks a more natural half-back. Tyrone attacked in the wrong areas, were to slow and needed to let the ball in more. In saying that they look weak enough in attack and don’t have a marquee scoring forward, and the younger players coming through don’t look to have the same potential as the players of a decade ago. The whole team got frustrated surprisingly easily. McGuinness certainly has Harte’s number at the moment.

An AFL game and a bogball game is you basis for that bizarre comment[/quote]

The AFL game was the exception that proves the rule.

Your hammering on the race issue has you lashing out on pretty straight forward posts now. Do some work.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 777722, member: 273”]The AFL game was the exception that proves the rule.

Your hammering on the race issue has you lashing out on pretty straight forward posts now. Do some work.[/quote]

lets look at other sports and things which people class as sport
the All blacks winning the WC
Spain
Barca
Munich
Celtic
Man Utd
melbourne Storm
Baltimore Ravens
The Kilkenny Stick hurling team
The South Glasgow Shortbread Shinties

Etc etc etc

None of these were defensive teams

Tyrone,as someone said once Sid they haven’t gone away ye know,they should still be around in august at least

[quote=“FingalRaven, post: 777724, member: 80”]lets look at other sports and things which people class as sport
the All blacks winning the WC
Spain
Barca
Munich
Celtic
Man Utd
melbourne Storm
Baltimore Ravens
The Kilkenny Stick hurling team
The South Glasgow Shortbread Shinties

Etc etc etc

None of these were defensive teams[/quote]

No, generally not, but their team is built on good defense. The best teams always have to have a good platform. It’s all the rest of the teams that are killing entertainment to play defensively just not to be embarrassed by the big teams. The problem with that is they are so obsessed with playing within systems that often when they do have a chance to blow a team away or go for the spectacular they don’t and play it safe.

Look at you beloved rugby league, lowest scoring in years and I think it’s 7 + shut outs. A shit uncreative sport to begin with made worse by defensive systems.

The AB’s play completely in defense and just wait for the opposition to make mistakes. Much like Man U and Spain. Barca and Munich are really the only ones who truly back up your point there.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 777730, member: 273”]No, generally not, but their team is built on good defense. The best teams always have to have a good platform. It’s all the rest of the teams that are killing entertainment to play defensively just not to be embarrassed by the big teams. The problem with that is they are so obsessed with playing within systems that often when they do have a chance to blow a team away or go for the spectacular they don’t and play it safe.

Look at you beloved rugby league, lowest scoring in years and I think it’s 7 + shut outs. A shit uncreative sport to begin with made worse by defensive systems.

The AB’s play completely in defense and just wait for the opposition to make mistakes. Much like Man U and Spain. Barca and Munich are really the only ones who truly back up your point there.[/quote]

nonsense

http://balls.ie/gaa/stephen-oneill-challenge-on-neil-mcgee-gif/

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 777716, member: 273”]Ya, it’s cos only real quick counter attacks or the odd long ball over the top misjudged seem to be the only way to score goals now.

Surprisingly today in AFL, both teams , North Melbourne & Adelaide abdoned the extra back and both played counter attacking running game. It was very entertaining. But it will never happen again as they are both being critisiZed for it by analysts. It’s just the way sport is right now, more about not losing than winning, which of course is silly, but that’s te way it is.[/quote]
This open palm helping the ball into the goals is definitely a nonsense. It looks rubbish, but I suppose the flipside is if it weren’t allowed there would be hardly any goals at all. Remains to be seen if any team will play a more attacking game and if they will be able to overcome the likes of Donegal in doing it.

I have never seen open handed goals as much as i have this weekend, there must have been 6 over the course of the weekends games.

That’s how you beat the blanket

Tell that to Tyrone.

Got to watch it last night. Jesus Tyrone were frustrating. There is a very serious team there, I’d hate to get them in qualifiers.

The keeper thing was a farce, the time wasted is one thing, but he misses shots by 10-15 meters.

It’s stronger Donegal are. Doesn’t mean they are not beatable, but they move up and down into the right positions so well. They are also clinical up front. The new big lad who got the goal will improve (wherrity I think) and when he grows into himself he’ll be a real handful. The willingness to take on an beat players, and actually do it, from Murphy, McBrearty, McHugh etc is good to see and hard to stop. They can afford to play below average at midfield and still be pretty comfortable. I suppose that’s just the modern game.

Enough shit talk about last weekends games, the championship really kicks in this weekend with De Dubs up against Westmeath. Based on league form I am expecting a 10 point win for De Dubs. :slight_smile:

Kevin McMenamin is out of this weekends match & doubtful to make the semi if Dublin beat Westmeath. Hamstring injury according to reports in the media this morning.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 778194, member: 273”]Got to watch it last night. Jesus Tyrone were frustrating. There is a very serious team there, I’d hate to get them in qualifiers.

The keeper thing was a farce, the time wasted is one thing, but he misses shots by 10-15 meters.

It’s stronger Donegal are. Doesn’t mean they are not beatable, but they move up and down into the right positions so well. They are also clinical up front. The new big lad who got the goal will improve (wherrity I think) and when he grows into himself he’ll be a real handful. The willingness to take on an beat players, and actually do it, from Murphy, McBrearty, McHugh etc is good to see and hard to stop. They can afford to play below average at midfield and still be pretty comfortable. I suppose that’s just the modern game.[/quote]
Just on that keeper thing I saw the excellent gaelicstats.com addressing this recently. They timed the average free at 34 seconds and the ones taken by keepers at 49 seconds. A difference alright but probably not as large as expected. It needs to be addressed alright but so do a number of related issues such as giving away frees repeatedly to stop teams from carrying the ball forward quickly etc.

Agreed. McEnaney said the same on the timing. I’d agree on the fouling out the field. Maybe a team could be warned about persistent fouling and the next player to do it picks up a yellow? Far more than goalies taking frees I think they need to review taking frees from the hand, players who do this steal an extra three steps consistently. Any free attempting a score should be taken from a placed ball.