The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

I don’t think Westmeath will score in this half.

I think it’s time Westmeath brought on Joe Fallon,

Brogan would want to pass the fucking ball:rolleyes:

This is one of the worst performances I can remember from any team in a championship match by Westmeath.

Happy birthday. I’m not even sure if it went over.

A decent free taker wouldn’t do the bog men any harm

Their forwards have been terrible, not just in creating and scoring chances, but in providing their backs with some sort of outlet when they’re coming out with the ball.

It’s time Dublin were made play outside of Croke Park, at least for the first match of the championship. This is a fucking procession with a funeral atmosphere, with a shit crowd in a mostly empty stadium. The Dublin championship experience has gone very stale.

4 in a row for Westmeath:clap:

4 points in succession for Westmeath. They trail 0-8 to 0-4 after 30 minutes.

Good response from the Dubs, 10-4 now

Bloody hell.

Westmeath centre back, Paul Sharry, is the early favourite for the best tanned legs of the Championship 2013.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 780351, member: 183”]It’s time Dublin were made play outside of Croke Park, at least for the first match of the championship. This is a fucking procession with a funeral atmosphere, with a shit crowd in a mostly empty stadium. The Dublin championship experience has gone very stale.

4 in a row for Westmeath:clap:[/quote]

I think most dub fans would agree with that. Nothing better than heading down the country with a few lads, having a laugh.

Half Time: Dublin 0-12 Westmeath 0-4.

This is nothing more than a training game for Dublin. Westmeath are fucking awful.

A procession for Dublin really. They didn’t get collectively sloppy but a few individual players did (most notably Brogan’s option taking) and that allowed Westmeath to score 4 points in a row when 0-8 to Nil behind. But aside from that it’s been very easy for Dublin. Westmeath are playing with a fair few men behind the ball to augment their defence but Dublin have been able to cut through them with pace and power - I’ve been impressed with McCaffrey in particular. They’ve also had success with some longer direct deliveries into the full forward line and should have even more scores on the board.

That was a lovely soft, sympathetic pass from Connaughton for the 11th score.

The argument always used is that Dublin generate money because they always attract big crowds. This clearly isn’t the case. 33k at last year’s first round against Louth and that was a double header. It looks like an even smaller crowd this evening and again it’s a double header. The anticipation factor for this match was zero. People aren’t bothering going because they know it’s going to be a total cakewalk with a shit atmosphere. That also makes for a shit television spectacle which turns people off. At least if you played it in Mullingar you’d have a full stadium with a good atmosphere which makes for a better spectacle all round. Donegal v Tyrone had a good atmosphere in a packed ground which made for a better spectacle all round, both for people in the ground and watching on television, certinly better than it would have been in a half-full Clones. Same with Kilkenny and Tipp in Nowlan Park. Wexford v Dublin at Wexford Park next Saturday should have a good atmosphere and is the correct venue for that match.

33,008 is the attendance.

Just don’t forget the GPS.
I believe there are still Dubs wandering the back roads of Tipp that set out for a Kerry V Dub QF match in Semple stadium a few years ago.