The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

Agreed that was a bit hypocritical.
I couldn’t agree more with Sidney’s post though. He calls it spot on.

I think Kev might have started off making some good points, but Jesus he’s taken an awful hiding on the internet since.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 796085, member: 183”]I find it pretty funny that Kevin, who probably hasn’t even been in Ireland for at least two years, can claim to speak for the average GAA player, of which there’s really no such thing anyway, because as I said in a previous post, some are from small counties, some from big ones, some from dual counties, some from one code counties. Some are from huge clubs, some from tiny ones. Some are from cities, some from very sparsely populated areas. Some are from competitive provinces, some from non-competitive ones. Some are underage and involved with multiple teams, some are involved with one. 99% are not inter-county players but most like to go to matches and/or watch it on TV. I have a funny feeling Kevin wouldn’t be too au fait with what the average Leitrim or Fermanagh footballer wants.

I didn’t offer an alternative to the championship because I’m actually quite happy with the current format. The problem is not with the format. The problem is with the mismatch in preparation and attitude between teams like Offaly and Wicklow and teams like Donegal. A change of format won’t improve that - the improvement has to come from within those counties.

Please also explain about the media exposure problem. You still haven’t explained this pre-season competition with teams playing three 40 minute matches on one weekend. That, as stated in another reply, is a blitz and might as well be played in the Phoenix Park for all the attention it’ll get.

If you start the All-Ireland Tier 1 football championship on the last Sunday in April and have the final on the third Sunday in July, that’s it, that’s the whole inter-county season.

Club games are an irrelevance as far as the national media are concerned. GAA would be ignored in the national media for 9 months of the year and the way left completely free for association football and rugby.[/quote]

I played with county footballers out here last season from small counties.

Every sport in the world has small and big clubs, your point is irrelevant And you consistently dismiss the club.

A poll today on the championship showed only 18% of people happy with format. 52% want a CL format, another lump want open draw. Basically 82% want change. It’s even higher in GPA polls.

To think the current format works when teams throw the hat at it after one round is laughable.

You are simple picking on points I have made that I admitted were debatable, but you offer no solution only burying your head in the sand and acting like a couch potato from a big county, cos that’s all you are.

Not sure what my living in Oz has to Di with it, I probably follow it closer now and see more games than I did at home. When at home I was actively involved in football and would not see half the games I are now. Also being away offers you a different perspective.

It’s not all about Inter County football, and it’s not all about media exposure. As for length of the competition, again it’s nearly 4 months in total and of course you could lengthen that out. It’s about the same in the NFL and they do ok.

Exactly, so grade it.

No Kev. I didn’t dismiss the club. I stated an undeniable fact in that the vast, vast majority of media exposure the GAA generates is generated by the inter-county scene. Even the All-Ireland club finals don’t get that much media coverage and are not promoted well.

You really have very little left other than insults, which you’ve been throwing around left, right and centre over the last few pages. That’s pretty telling about the strength of your arguments.

Internet hidings are ok with me when it’s a few narrow minds who have no idea of what is actually going on. It’s like when I say things about accountants, this place is full of them, I’m not expecting wholesale agreement. It’s all relative. If I went into a dressing room of players I’d get a fat more favorable response, I know that.

Sid - The GAA relies more in match attendance than anything else. Having the highest level done and dusted in between the TV popular EPL & Rugby might actually increase casual supporters.

The things is broken, huge numbers of people believe this. You happen to r from Dublin who are probably, along with possibly Donegal lets say they win Ulster who have a fair (not really in Dubs case, but the CP thing is another argument) and steady path of football games spread out over some reasonable time frame. You can’t have a competition that only runs well for a couple of teams, and even that is based on chance.

You are completely over stating the media influence here Sid.

You are getting the odd insult because you are a fool, a fool who only see’s one way. A narrow minded couch potato with his head stuck in the sand.

You are also not getting that a big proportion of te GAA community put club first. You also miss out on the fact that its an amatuer sport, top to bottom. The amount of time set aside for IC over club needs to be balanced.

What about what allthe other people are saying Sid? That it’s broken?

FFS Farmer, everyone’s won a provincial championship more recently than Wexford.

we havent:(

Who is “we” now?

the historical county of Fingal

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 796142, member: 24”][FONT=Arial][SIZE=14px]Kerry have dropped two-time All Star Kieran Donaghy from their team to take on Cork in Sunday’s Munster final.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=14px]In what will be seen as a big gamble by manager Eamonn Fitzmaurice, Darran O’Sullivan comes in to replace Donaghy in the full-forward line for Sunday’s showdown.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=14px]Donaghy scored a point against Tipperary and a goal against Waterford in his two previous starts.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=14px]The Kerry boss has made changes elsewhere as he hands Mark Griffin his Championship debut, replacing the injured Aidan O’Mahony at fullback. Shane Enright returns to the corner back position, forcing Fionn Fitzgerald to the bench.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=14px]Kerry team to play Cork: Brendan Kealy, Marc Ó Sé, Mark Griffin, Shane Enright, Tomás Ó Sé, Killian Young, Peter Crowley, Anthony Maher, Johnny Buckley, Paul Galvin, Colm Cooper, Donnchadh Walsh, Darran O’Sullivan, Declan O’Sullivan, James O’Donoghue[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=14px]Substitutes: Brian Kelly Killarney, Kieran Donaghy, Fionn Fitzgerald, Bryan Sheehan.Eoin Brosnan[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

A mixture of long high ball and strong running from midfield could destroy that back line. If Cork even get parity at midfield and Walsh even plays at 85% they shoul get enough to beat Kerry. The Killarney factor is important though. I’d give Kerry at least a 2 point start with that. Cork, as ever, need to be 4-5 points better than Kerry to win.

Kerry might need more subs than that you’d imagine.

Kev resorting to amateur psychology now :smiley:

Resorting? I’ve been at amateur psychology for years.

Bizarre stupid carry from Cork selectors. Do they really expect everyone to believe this is the team. Time for heafy fines and maybe suspensions for the manager is the only way to go.

The Cork Senior Football team to play Kerry in Sunday’s Munster Football Final at 2pm in Killarney has been named as follows:

1. Ken O’Halloran
    Bishopstown

2. Eoin Cadogan 3. Michael Shields 4. Damien Cahalane
    Douglas St. Finbarr’s Castlehaven

3. James Loughrey 6. Paudie Kissane 7. Tomás Clancy
    Mallow Clyda Rovers Fermoy

4. Graham Canty 9. Pearse O’Neill
    Bantry Blues Aghada

5. Fintan Goold 11. Patrick Kelly 12. John O’Rourke
    Macroom Ballincollig Carbery Rangers

6. Daniel Goulding 14. Brian Hurley 15. Paul Kerrigan
    Eire Óg Castlehaven Nemo Rangers

Subs
16. Alan Quirke Valley Rovers
17. John McLoughlin Kanturk
18. Thomas Clancy Clonakilty
19. Noel O’Leary Cill na Martra
20. Alan O’Connor St. Colum’s
21. Aidan Walsh Kanturk
22. Andrew O’Sullivan Castletownbere
23. Ciaran Sheehan Eire Óg
24. Mark Collins Castlehaven
25. Donncha O’Connor Ballydesmond
26. Barry O’Driscoll Nemo Rangers

3-4 changes expected on that team.

Aye, you’d expect most of 20-25 easily to start. Cuntish behavior and I am convinced now Counihan is a cunt, hasn’t he done this for every competitive fixture this year?

There’s always loads of giving out about this and I know it wasn’t traditionally the done thing but why should managers announce their correct starting team in advance of the game?
The only practical reason seems to be lack of squad numbers and programmes but apart from that it seems to be just to facilitate media discussion. Soccer journalists seem to get on fine while rarely getting a team in advance.

[quote=“gola, post: 796938, member: 244”]There’s always loads of giving out about this and I know it wasn’t traditionally the done thing but why should managers announce their correct starting team in advance of the game?
The only practical reason seems to be lack of squad numbers and programmes but apart from that it seems to be just to facilitate media discussion. Soccer journalists seem to get on fine while rarely getting a team in advance.[/quote]
Because they’re asked to and the rival managers do. Simple really.

[quote=“gola, post: 796938, member: 244”]There’s always loads of giving out about this and I know it wasn’t traditionally the done thing but why should managers announce their correct starting team in advance of the game?
The only practical reason seems to be lack of squad numbers and programmes but apart from that it seems to be just to facilitate media discussion. Soccer journalists seem to get on fine while rarely getting a team in advance.[/quote]

It reeks of weakness to me. It send the wrong signals.

And as MBB says, most other teams do it. People probably wouldn’t say anything about the league and maybe the odd parachuting a young lad in and protecting him, but what benefit is there in saying you’re not starting 4 All Stars who are all fit. I mean Ciaran Sheehan? A man Kerry absolutely fear, he has a great performance record against them and he’s arguably our most precocious player. Are Cork really not playing him? If there not, then theyare stupid, if they are they are fooling nobody.

It bugs me to be honest.