The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

Kev also misses the point about the All-Ireland. The point of the championship has never been to reward the most consistent team. The point of the championship is to do it on the day. If you want to reward the most consistent team, run the All-Ireland as three leagues of 11 with the team getting the most points becoming All-Ireland champions.

By the way, how many players started out at the All-England championships at Wimbledon last week with a chance? If we’re to exclude teams with no chance of winning Sam from the All-Ireland, why not exclude players with no chance of winning the famous old trophy from the All-England and just restrict it to Federer, Nadal, Murray and Djokovic?

Why should Andorra or the Faroe Islands be excluded from World Cup qualifying groups?

We’ll make it 7 aside, from 21 to 21, that should affect the club championship less aswell.

Make it “catch and kick” while you are at it.

Nah one hop, one solo, then pass or shoot.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 796052, member: 183”]Kev also misses the point about the All-Ireland. The point of the championship has never been to reward the most consistent team. The point of the championship is to do it on the day.
?[/quote]

I found that ridiculous…like you said the nature of championship is all on the day…that’s its magic…two tribes go to war in a sporting context…winner takes all … its what the GAA is all about …Kev is trying to bring other sports structures into a GAA without fully understanding what the GAA is all about…the qualifiers offer enough of a second chance but the business end should always be knockout…

It’s amazing how little people who don’t have direct involvement disgard the wants, lives and opinions of the people who play the games. Ye fail to see it from the players POV, the most important POV.

Of course ye all have ignored the fact I still have the 8 best teams in 2 competitions playing off in knock out. That allows, one played over a similar schedule a chance for the best knock out team to come thru a consistent competition.

As regards the pre season comp, it’s very easy, a 3 or 4 way group with teams rolling on after each other in round robin.

I realize change and thinking outside the box is hard sometimes, but none of ye have offered any alternatives.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 796065, member: 273”]It’s amazing how little people who don’t have direct involvement disgard the wants, lives and opinions of the people who play the games. Ye fail to see it from the players POV, the most important POV.
[/quote]

Players want to win championships. You want to reduce this prospect to one team winning a championship as opposed to potentially 5 teams winning a championship.

[quote=“TreatyStones, post: 796036, member: 1786”]Unfortunately for you your grand sweeping generalistations don’t hold up to any kind of critical analysis.

In Connacht every team bar Leitrim & New York have contested a Connacht final in recent years. (5/7)

In Munster, Limerick, Cork, Kerry and Clare have contested finals in the past 3 years ( 4/6)

In Leinster, Dublin, Meath, Wexford, Louth & Kildare have all contested finals in recent years (5/12)

In Ulster Tyrone, Derry, Antrim, Monaghan, Donegal and Down have all contested finals in recent years (6/9)

So that’s 20 of the 32 who have contested a major final in the past 5 years.[/quote]

I still don’t get your point? Nonsense all of it, none of them won anything. They are training for the wrong thing. A half baked Cork, Kerry or Dublin can stroll thru a provincial championship an win it.

The competition is not working, it’s been inbalanced for years and not it’s got to a critical stage, yet you want to keep the status quo.

It’s the likes of you who are exactly the problem.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 796072, member: 273”]I still don’t get your point? Nonsense all of it, none of them won anything. They are training for the wrong thing. A half baked Cork, Kerry or Dublin can stroll thru a provincial championship an win it.

The competition is not working, it’s been inbalanced for years and not it’s got to a critical stage, yet you want to keep the status quo.

It’s the likes of you who are exactly the problem.[/quote]

You know nothing about me.

I know four lads on the Limerick football panel and they will all tell you the Munster final is their main aim at the start of every season and most years they see this as a very achievable goal. You want to create a second tier of perceived weaker counties who’s aim for the year will be to see if they qualify to play with the big boys the following year.

I’m assuming from your posts you are Cork man, they reek of typical Cork know it all arrogance.

Yes, that’s exactly what I want, well 2 winners actually. The provincial titles are fucking meaningless.

A meaningful 2nd grade competition is a far better prize than any provincial title. All you have to do is give it time. The thing is I’m not suggesting too far away with what others have suggested and close to ideas that have been discussed in the very recent past between some if the influential people.
The casual fan also doesn’t give a fuck about the club scene, this their opinion is often very lop sided. You sound like you’re quite happy to let lads hang around for 3-4 months without structured meaningful games.

[quote=“TreatyStones, post: 796073, member: 1786”]You know nothing about me.

I know four lads on the Limerick football panel and they will all tell you the Munster final is their main aim at the start of every season and most years they see this as a very achievable goal. You want to create a second tier of perceived weaker counties who’s aim for the year will be to see if they qualify to play with the big boys the following year.

I’m assuming from your posts you are Cork man, they reek of typical Cork know it all arrogance.[/quote]

Ya they really went all out this year. They built this false hope on going close a couple of years ago with far superior players and at their peak compared to what they have now.

Nobody can build a proper team with such a ramshackle of a system as they have now. At least even if its 2nd tier they know they h e 3 or 7 certain games (depending on which if my suggestions you prefer)If they are good enough they will get out and have another 1-3 games. That’s still more than they have now.

Unless they make the league meaningful to the championship I see this as the only way to balance everything. Yes some of the ideas are from other sports, but what’s wrong with that, nobody comes up with everything themselves.

Anyway, there is no tradition in these qualifiers either, and to be honest, now they are a load of shit.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 796074, member: 273”]Yes, that’s exactly what I want, well 2 winners actually. The provincial titles are fucking meaningless.

A meaningful 2nd grade competition is a far better prize than any provincial title. All you have to do is give it time. The thing is I’m not suggesting too far away with what others have suggested and close to ideas that have been discussed in the very recent past between some if the influential people.
The casual fan also doesn’t give a fuck about the club scene, this their opinion is often very lop sided. You sound like you’re quite happy to let lads hang around for 3-4 months without structured meaningful games.[/quote]

Do a survey of players outside of Cork, Kerry etc and ask them what they would prefer to be contesting? You know full well what the answer would be.

The thing is I’m not suggesting too far away with what others have suggested and close to ideas that have been discussed in the very recent past between some if the influential people.

So you are one of these “look who I know” merchants? I’d say you have the ear of alot influential people alright. Frank Murphys donkey is the most influential thing you are close to I’d say.

Who is hanging around for 3 or 4 months without meaningful games? I play for my club and the championships in Limerick are by and large very well run with 6 weeks being the longest gap between games in the intermediate and senior championships, and these breaks are well flagged at the start of the year so as to allow lads to book holidays etc. The biggest problem is prima donna inter-county managers who are full of their own self importance trying to have club games called off willy-nilly to suit themselves.

[quote=“TreatyStones, post: 796076, member: 1786”]Do a survey of players outside of Cork, Kerry etc and ask them what they would prefer to be contesting? You know full well what the answer would be.

So you are one of these “look who I know” merchants? I’d say you have the ear of alot influential people alright. Frank Murphys donkey is the most influential thing you are close to I’d say.

Who is hanging around for 3 or 4 months without meaningful games? I play for my club and the championships in Limerick are by and large very well run with 6 weeks being the longest gap between games in the intermediate and senior championships, and these breaks are well flagged at the start of the year so as to allow lads to book holidays etc. The biggest problem is prima donna inter-county managers who are full of their own self importance trying to have club games called off willy-nilly to suit themselves.[/quote]

Yes, and my system takes away such decisions from these managers. And you think 6 weeks is not a big gap for a meaningful game? Seriously?

As for players outside Kerry etc, what do you think the players in Offaly, Wicklow, Tipperary etc want now? The best teams will always be the best teams.

The things is, I’d say if you actually sat down and thought about it all and read my suggestion tomorrow again it may not look that bad. Plus I said it was there to be taken apart. I would be open to other suggestions, which if course you still have not come up with.

Do you think it works well now?

[quote=“TreatyStones, post: 796076, member: 1786”]Do a survey of players outside of Cork, Kerry etc and ask them what they would prefer to be contesting? You know full well what the answer would be.

Who is hanging around for 3 or 4 months without meaningful games? I play for my club and the championships in Limerick are by and large very well run with 6 weeks being the longest gap between games in the intermediate and senior championships, and these breaks are well flagged at the start of the year so as to allow lads to book holidays etc. The biggest problem is prima donna inter-county managers who are full of their own self importance trying to have club games called off willy-nilly to suit themselves.[/quote]

My club has waited 5 months for championship on 2 occasions in recent years. 3-4 is just the norm.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 796065, member: 273”]It’s amazing how little people who don’t have direct involvement disgard the wants, lives and opinions of the people who play the games. Ye fail to see it from the players POV, the most important POV.

Of course ye all have ignored the fact I still have the 8 best teams in 2 competitions playing off in knock out. That allows, one played over a similar schedule a chance for the best knock out team to come thru a consistent competition.

As regards the pre season comp, it’s very easy, a 3 or 4 way group with teams rolling on after each other in round robin.

I realize change and thinking outside the box is hard sometimes, but none of ye have offered any alternatives.[/quote]
I find it pretty funny that Kevin, who probably hasn’t even been in Ireland for at least two years, can claim to speak for the average GAA player, of which there’s really no such thing anyway, because as I said in a previous post, some are from small counties, some from big ones, some from dual counties, some from one code counties. Some are from huge clubs, some from tiny ones. Some are from cities, some from very sparsely populated areas. Some are from competitive provinces, some from non-competitive ones. Some are underage and involved with multiple teams, some are involved with one. 99% are not inter-county players but most like to go to matches and/or watch it on TV. I have a funny feeling Kevin wouldn’t be too au fait with what the average Leitrim or Fermanagh footballer wants.

I didn’t offer an alternative to the championship because I’m actually quite happy with the current format. The problem is not with the format. The problem is with the mismatch in preparation and attitude between teams like Offaly and Wicklow and teams like Donegal. A change of format won’t improve that - the improvement has to come from within those counties.

Please also explain about the media exposure problem. You still haven’t explained this pre-season competition with teams playing three 40 minute matches on one weekend. That, as stated in another reply, is a blitz and might as well be played in the Phoenix Park for all the attention it’ll get.

If you start the All-Ireland Tier 1 football championship on the last Sunday in April and have the final on the third Sunday in July, that’s it, that’s the whole inter-county season.

Club games are an irrelevance as far as the national media are concerned. GAA would be ignored in the national media for 9 months of the year and the way left completely free for association football and rugby.

[quote=“TreatyStones, post: 796073, member: 1786”].

I know four lads on the Limerick football panel [/quote]

:rolleyes:

[quote=“Sidney, post: 796085, member: 183”]I find it pretty funny that Kevin, who probably hasn’t even been in Ireland for at least two years, can claim to speak for the average GAA player, of which there’s really no such thing anyway, because as I said in a previous post, some are from small counties, some from big ones, some from dual counties, some from one code counties. Some are from huge clubs, some from tiny ones. Some are from cities, some from very sparsely populated areas. Some are from competitive provinces, some from non-competitive ones. Some are underage and involved with multiple teams, some are involved with one. 99% are not inter-county players but most like to go to matches and/or watch it on TV. I have a funny feeling Kevin wouldn’t be too au fait with what the average Leitrim or Fermanagh footballer wants.

I didn’t offer an alternative to the championship because I’m actually quite happy with the current format. The problem is not with the format. The problem is with the mismatch in preparation and attitude between teams like Offaly and Wicklow and teams like Donegal. A change of format won’t improve that - the improvement has to come from within those counties.

Please also explain about the media exposure problem. You still haven’t explained this pre-season competition with teams playing three 40 minute matches on one weekend. That, as stated in another reply, is a blitz and might as well be played in the Phoenix Park for all the attention it’ll get.

If you start the All-Ireland Tier 1 football championship on the last Sunday in April and have the final on the third Sunday in July, that’s it, that’s the whole inter-county season.

Club games are an irrelevance as far as the national media are concerned. GAA would be ignored in the national media for 9 months of the year and the way left completely free for association football and rugby.[/quote]

Good post there Sid. I agree completely with the bolded bit. You seem to be mentioning Leitrim a lot though in terms of smaller counties - we have won a provincial Championship much more recently than say Wexford for instance.

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=14px]Kerry have dropped two-time All Star Kieran Donaghy from their team to take on Cork in Sunday’s Munster final.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=14px]In what will be seen as a big gamble by manager Eamonn Fitzmaurice, Darran O’Sullivan comes in to replace Donaghy in the full-forward line for Sunday’s showdown.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=14px]Donaghy scored a point against Tipperary and a goal against Waterford in his two previous starts.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=14px]The Kerry boss has made changes elsewhere as he hands Mark Griffin his Championship debut, replacing the injured Aidan O’Mahony at fullback. Shane Enright returns to the corner back position, forcing Fionn Fitzgerald to the bench.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=14px]Kerry team to play Cork: Brendan Kealy, Marc Ó Sé, Mark Griffin, Shane Enright, Tomás Ó Sé, Killian Young, Peter Crowley, Anthony Maher, Johnny Buckley, Paul Galvin, Colm Cooper, Donnchadh Walsh, Darran O’Sullivan, Declan O’Sullivan, James O’Donoghue[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=14px]Substitutes: Brian Kelly Killarney, Kieran Donaghy, Fionn Fitzgerald, Bryan Sheehan.Eoin Brosnan[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 796072, member: 273”]I
.[/quote]

its always been inbalanced FFS…you will always get that when teams are made up solely of lads born in the area …

Inbalanced?

FFS.