The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

[quote=“Bandage, post: 801859, member: 9”]I went to the Leinster Final yesterday with some chums and really enjoyed the game. I have a long held love of Meath football and we’re definitely on the way back. Stephen Bray was exceptional and gave all sorts of trouble to O’Carroll and Cooper at different stages. I disagreed with them moving him out the field when they brought on Sheridan but he shook off Ger Brennan and carried the ball in for that shot which Cluxton saved. So the switch could actually have worked had he brought it in closer to shoot or popped it off to Sheridan or Newman to finish. I was very impressed with young Newman’s skills too and Gillespie had another fine game in midfield, as did Meade.

Cluxton is a great keeper and was very good again yesterday. Kilkenny and Mannion were the other two most impressive Dublin players for me. Kilkenny’s creativity/distribution and point taking was wonderful at times - the only thing is he sometimes has a tendency to hold onto the ball for too long when it’s Dublin’s speed of attacking that opens up teams. Meath played with young Harnan holding his position at centre back so Kilkenny was able to drift around and get lots of possession. A team playing a more defensive system will have someone tracking Kilkenny and another playing holding the centre so he won’t always get space like yesterday.

Mannion was top class with his finishing throughout really and some very good movement too. Bastick has a very good midfield cameo when he came on too and his presence made Dublin stronger in this sector. It must be a nightmare for the opposition to see the likes of McCaffrey and McCarthy pouring forward relentlessly but it was actually O’Brien from corner back who had the initial shot for the second goal.

All in all, a very entertaining game for the neutral.[/quote]

That is pretty much my reading of it from yesterday as well. I thought Meath played well, particularly Gillespie from Summerhill at midfield and Bray as had already been mentioned. Interesting decision to bring him out the pitch when Sheridan came on but understandable as well.

That was the first time I saw the Dubs properly this year and talk of them walking the All Ireland seems very premature to me. I think the addition of Mannion is a really good one, he looks a top player. As you said Kilkenny got a lot of space yesterday which he may not get again but he was really excellent. Bernard seems a shadow of the player he was in 2010, and I think there are still significant question marks over Connolly and to a greater extent O’Gara. I don’t know how far away Alan Brogan is from fitness but it will be interesting to see what Gavin does with Kilkenny when he comes back.

Too much for Dublin goes through Kilkenny. He’s only a young lad but he’s so important to them.
Expect the first big team that Dublin meet to nobble him early.
If it was ye Meath of olde that were playing yesterday, it would have been a more testing afternoon for him.

[quote=“Bandage, post: 801859, member: 9”]I went to the Leinster Final yesterday with some chums and really enjoyed the game. I have a long held love of Meath football and we’re definitely on the way back. Stephen Bray was exceptional and gave all sorts of trouble to O’Carroll and Cooper at different stages. I disagreed with them moving him out the field when they brought on Sheridan but he shook off Ger Brennan and carried the ball in for that shot which Cluxton saved. So the switch could actually have worked had he brought it in closer to shoot or popped it off to Sheridan or Newman to finish. I was very impressed with young Newman’s skills too and Gillespie had another fine game in midfield, as did Meade.

Cluxton is a great keeper and was very good again yesterday. Kilkenny and Mannion were the other two most impressive Dublin players for me. Kilkenny’s creativity/distribution and point taking was wonderful at times - the only thing is he sometimes has a tendency to hold onto the ball for too long when it’s Dublin’s speed of attacking that opens up teams. Meath played with young Harnan holding his position at centre back so Kilkenny was able to drift around and get lots of possession. A team playing a more defensive system will have someone tracking Kilkenny and another playing holding the centre so he won’t always get space like yesterday.

Mannion was top class with his finishing throughout really and some very good movement too. Bastick has a very good midfield cameo when he came on too and his presence made Dublin stronger in this sector. It must be a nightmare for the opposition to see the likes of McCaffrey and McCarthy pouring forward relentlessly but it was actually O’Brien from corner back who had the initial shot for the second goal.

All in all, a very entertaining game for the neutral.[/quote]

Was Flynn any good for dublin bandini?

Galway v Armagh, Pearse Stadium, 5pm
Derry v Cavan, Celtic Park, 5pm
Wexford v Laois, Wexford Park, 7pm
Kildare v Tyrone, Newbridge, 7pm Live on RTÉ Two

Reports that the next round of the qualifiers will be played over Saturday and Sunday the following weekend in Croker.

He scored 1-1 and took those scores brilliantly but I didn’t think he was as prominent as in other games. Still put in a serious amount of effort and did a lot of selfless running to give options to the man in possession.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 801865, member: 24”]That is pretty much my reading of it from yesterday as well. I thought Meath played well, particularly Gillespie from Summerhill at midfield and Bray as had already been mentioned. Interesting decision to bring him out the pitch when Sheridan came on but understandable as well.

That was the first time I saw the Dubs properly this year and talk of them walking the All Ireland seems very premature to me. I think the addition of Mannion is a really good one, he looks a top player. As you said Kilkenny got a lot of space yesterday which he may not get again but he was really excellent. Bernard seems a shadow of the player he was in 2010, and I think there are still significant question marks over Connolly and to a greater extent O’Gara. I don’t know how far away Alan Brogan is from fitness but it will be interesting to see what Gavin does with Kilkenny when he comes back.[/quote]
Alan Brogan played a full club game yesterday so he should be available for the next match, for the bench at least, barring any setbacks.

Why was there club games on?

It may have beeen a challenge game.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 801891, member: 24”]Galway v Armagh, Pearse Stadium, 5pm
Derry v Cavan, Celtic Park, 5pm
Wexford v Laois, Wexford Park, 7pm
Kildare v Tyrone, Newbridge, 7pm Live on RTÉ Two

Reports that the next round of the qualifiers will be played over Saturday and Sunday the following weekend in Croker.[/quote]
Double header on the Saturday evening in Croker for the games involving Cork and Meath from 5pm. Other two haven’t been fixed yet.

London-Derry and Wexford/Laois-Monaghan should be a double header in Villa Park.

Wexford/Laois v Monaghan and London-Derry/Cavan would be lucky to attract 10k if played as a double header. Parnell Park or Navan could accommodate both matches.

Who are London-Derry playing?

Kaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhvaaaaannn

Derry-London-Derry…

Why wouldn’t there be?

Great article here

http://gaelicstats.com/home-advantage-in-the-all-ireland-qualifiers/

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 802425, member: 273”]Great article here

http://gaelicstats.com/home-advantage-in-the-all-ireland-qualifiers/[/quote]

I did out the stats for the League myself a while back. They’re pretty similar. In a 28 match league (7 rounds of 4 matches) it usually works out at about 14-17 home wins, 1-4 draws and 8-11 away wins.

Are they having one of these this year?

Dublin have already won it.

The RTE lads love to tell us that Kildare have never lost a qualifier under McGeeney. Any idea how many of their games they were drawn at home for?