The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

I wouldn’t be too harsh on RTE for saying that. McGeeney has been there for about 5 years now and to have never lost a qualifier is worth highlighting whether they played at home more often than not.

But to the extent that other teams should fear them as RTE put it? What teams have they been drawn against in the qualifiers too?

Given they’ve tended to exit Leinster early in recent years then the chances are the qualifiers are made up of lesser teams, apart from this year it seems with the likes of Tyrone and Armagh in the early rounds.

[quote=“Mac, post: 802561, member: 109”]But to the extent that other teams should fear them as RTE put it? What teams have they been drawn against in the qualifiers too?

Given they’ve tended to exit Leinster early in recent years then the chances are the qualifiers are made up of lesser teams, apart from this year it seems with the likes of Tyrone and Armagh in the early rounds.[/quote]

I’m not sure if they were suggesting that they should be feared but I think it is a record that it worth highlighting. If you know what I mean.

The commentator on Sunday Game mentioned that whoever they were playing (Louth I think) would be worried about their record. He then mentioned it when they’d gone into the lead that Kildares record would be playing on their minds. A tad over dramatic really.

Kildare’s victory at the weekend pretty much summed them up under McGeeney. Fitness and conditioning gets them over the line against a lot of teams - they scored 1-5 in the last 10 minutes to overturn a deficit - but they’re simply not good enough footballers to compete with the top teams who can match them physically.

You were tipping them for the All Ireland last year.

I got that badly wrong. I thought McGeeney was doing what McGuinness ultimately did. However, let’s not forget my stellar Dublin tip in 2011.

Ok mate. We’ll let you away with it. Your GAA analysis is usually pretty good I must say.

Appreciate the compliment, pal. I certainly see things most others don’t, such as ways Wexford can win every game they play.

They’ve beaten Laois, Limerick, Derry and Meath away for starters and several of their matches were at Croke Park and other neutral venues. Can barely remember them winning a qualifier in Newbridge.

Kildare’s Qualifier Record under McGeeney:
Beat Cavan (home)
Beat Limerick (away)
Beat Fermanagh (neutral)
Beat Wicklow (neutral)
Drew with Antrim (home)
Beat Antrim (away)
Beat Leitrim (home)
Beat Derry (away)
Beat Monaghan (away)
Beat Laois (away)
Beat Meath (away)
Beat Derry (neutral)
Beat Cavan (away)
Beat Limerick (neutral)
Beat Sligo (neutral

Apart from 2011, thats generally a soft enough run through the qualifiers for them.

While I don’t think Kildare have the players to launch a real All-Ireland challenge, if they get past Tyrone and Meath they’d be in good shape to cause a shock against Mayo, Kerry or Donegal (not the SuperDubs) in the quarter-finals as they’d be on their fourth week out in a row.

I’ve a sneaky feeling they’ll beat Tyrone on Saturday.

Nailed it. Gym monkeys with little or no discernibly talented footballer to speak of.

Johnny Doyle aside of course

To me McGeeney actually deserves a lot of credit. He has nothing to work with yet he has them in the quarters (and semi once very close to the final) every year.

Indeed, especially considering the state and morale of the team when he took over, after the dark days of the Crofton era

Armagh’s answer to the gooch also looks like he’s Armagh’s answer to galvin.

http://jamieclarke.net/

[quote=“gola, post: 803103, member: 244”]Armagh’s answer to the gooch also looks like he’s Armagh’s answer to galvin.

http://jamieclarke.net/[/quote]

Bloody hell!

Meh.

Just shows you what football is like these days. Summed up in 2 sentences.