The Official Irish Times Best Places to Holiday in Ireland Thread

Good ideas here. Rosslare and Galway are viable options. The O Brien’s Bridge area is maybe a little rural. Portmarnock sounds idyllic but might be a little too far to travel.

I’d really like if people could come up with a consensus here. The advice is very much appreciated but I want the decision made for me, not plenty of well-intentioned but conflicting suggestions.

Buy it?

Not likely.

[quote=“Rocko, post: 760699, member: 1”]Good ideas here. Rosslare and Galway are viable options. The O Brien’s Bridge area is maybe a little rural. Portmarnock sounds idyllic but might be a little too far to travel.

I’d really like if people could come up with a consensus here. The advice is very much appreciated but I want the decision made for me, not plenty of well-intentioned but conflicting suggestions.[/quote]

Hold tough & wait for news on the following.
http://www.independent.ie/regionals/droghedaindependent/news/return-of-mosney-27169557.html

Or just go here & be done with it.
http://www.trabolgan.com/

[quote=“Rocko, post: 760699, member: 1”]Good ideas here. Rosslare and Galway are viable options. The O Brien’s Bridge area is maybe a little rural. Portmarnock sounds idyllic but might be a little too far to travel.

I’d really like if people could come up with a consensus here. The advice is very much appreciated but I want the decision made for me, not plenty of well-intentioned but conflicting suggestions.[/quote]

Bandage, Cesc4 and I have decided that you’re going to Kellys. Just go book it online now and you’re done.

Kelly’s is booked - thanks to Mac[/USER], [USER=9]Bandage[/USER] and [USER=4]Cesc4.

I’m now looking to book somewhere in Clare for later on in the summer. Probably coastal Clare. And a holiday home/cottage type scenario, not a hotel.

Any recommendations? Doolin a nice spot? Bear in mind I’ll probably want somewhere accessible to a village to facilitate walking with a buggy.

Also if anyone can give driving directions to Lahinch that would be a huge help. I’m sure we can find our way around the county from there.

Kilkee is your spot Rocko, far nicer than lahinch.

There’s fuck all in Doolin. Maybe Ballyvaughan might be a nice spot to stay in? Or Kinvara?

Spanish Point is a nice spot. If it’s the August bank holiday weekend you’re thinking of going Rocko, best off steering clear of anywhere in Clare to be honest. You’ll have the likes of ChocolateMice and his ilk marauding through every village and town in Clare tearing the place apart.

Is there a poster on here from Duncannon? Had some marvellous caravan holidays down there when I was a nipper.

Was thinking of bringing my son down there for a week next summer, is the big caravan park still on the go down there? And how much am I looking at for a week?

Does the ferry still go to Passage East too btw? A trip to Tramore could be in order.

[quote=“Rocko, post: 767805, member: 1”]Kelly’s is booked - thanks to Mac[/USER], [USER=9]Bandage[/USER] and [USER=4]Cesc4.

I’m now looking to book somewhere in Clare for later on in the summer. Probably coastal Clare. And a holiday home/cottage type scenario, not a hotel.

Any recommendations? Doolin a nice spot? Bear in mind I’ll probably want somewhere accessible to a village to facilitate walking with a buggy.

Also if anyone can give driving directions to Lahinch that would be a huge help. I’m sure we can find our way around the county from there.[/quote]

Spanish point or Fanore.

Spanish point is quite scenic, has a decent beach, and is only 20 mins away from Lahinch/cliffs of moher etc if you want to pop in for Lunch/Dinner or go site seeing. A fairly quiet and relaxing spot.

Fanore is far more scenic as it is on the edge of the Burren- so this offers some great drives into this part of the world. It also has a lovely little beach.

Neither have a town- Miltown Malbay is about 2k from Spanish Point but SP has a couple of small shops and has the Atlantic hotel if you want to catch a sporting event while sipping on some form of refreshment. Fanore has one pub and a shop/post office- Nearest town is Ballyvaughan- about a 15/20 min drive.

Spanish Point does come with a warning tho, mate. It is only 10/15 mins driving time from Kib country… I’ll say no more.

DO NOT GO TO KILKEE!!!

[quote=“Sandymount Red, post: 767820, member: 1074”]Is there a poster on here from Duncannon? Had some marvellous caravan holidays down there when I was a nipper.

Was thinking of bringing my son down there for a week next summer, is the big caravan park still on the go down there? And how much am I looking at for a week?

Does the ferry still go to Passage East too btw? A trip to Tramore could be in order.[/quote]

Yup Duncannon Holiday Park - you’d want to book early though as it fills up for the summer pretty quickly. http://duncannonholidaypark.com/ Ferry still goes, Tramore is a shithole though. Better off heading into the Heritage Park in Wexford or something like that.

Doolin will be hopping during the folk festival in June. A cracking line-up for it. I haven’t read this thread so I don’t know if that suits. The Hotel Doolin is a great spot and all the shows are in the grounds. Superb food and booze in the place.

Is Celt World still open in Tramore? Was very impressed that time I was there aged 10. I was wearing a Celtic FC t-shirt and was the star of the tour group.

head for Clifden in galway…lovely drives up to Mayo and a great town for a few pints…

Celtworld opened in 1992 and I would think that it had closed by 1996. The building was bought by the Vince Power group or people close to it and turned into a club, South. South struggled on for a few years and then closed its doors circa 2001. The building became an eyesore and was demolished in 2008.

[quote=“Rocko, post: 767805, member: 1”]Kelly’s is booked - thanks to Mac[/USER], [USER=9]Bandage[/USER] and [USER=4]Cesc4.

[/quote]

Kinvara is 20 minutes from the N6 Motorway. Its has a few decent restaurants/coffee shops/Health food stores for well heeled urbane cultured ilk the like of yourself.

There is plenty decent accommodation around the town and your within 20 minute drive to the Ballyvaughan/Burren.

Nice Walks, a children’s playground, and a nearby beach are all available to you too.

http://www.meadowcliff.net/delamainlodge/wp-content/gallery/kinvara-area-photos/kinvara1.jpg

[quote=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 767850, member: 686”]Kinvara is 20 minutes from the N6 Motorway. Its has a few decent restaurants/coffee shops/Health food stores for well heeled urbane cultured ilk the like of yourself.

There is plenty decent accommodation around the town and your within 20 minute drive to the Ballyvaughan/Burren.

Nice Walks, a children’s playground, and a nearby beach are all available to you too.

http://www.meadowcliff.net/delamainlodge/wp-content/gallery/kinvara-area-photos/kinvara1.jpg[/quote]

It’s actually a spot I want to get back to… I passed through a couple of years ago and had some lunch and it seemed like a lovely little haven.

Where would you recommend for staying (hotel/b&b)

http://www.kinvaraguesthouse.ie/rooms.html

http://www.fallonsbedandbreakfastkinvara.ie/

Both of these are in the town and would be a decent 3* standard, which is all the Meriman hotel would be anyway from what I know.

The Fallon’s are a lovely family:clap: