The Official Irish Times Best Places to Holiday in Ireland Thread

I must say I don’t like staying in B & B’s. Only did it once and I didn’t enjoy it-didn’t enjoy it at all.

This is not 1982…

The owners of either of the B&B’s I have listed do not live on the premises and do not open the door for you when you come in after a few pints in a fucking heap.

They took one of ye in… their charity knows no bounds.

[quote=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 767858, member: 686”]This is not 1982…

The owners of either of the B&B’s I have listed do not live on the premises and do not open the door for you when you come in after a few pints in a fucking heap.[/quote]
What is the set up so KP? It’s been a while since I entered one of those godawful places.

more of a small hotel.

Haven’t had a holiday in Ireland for ages, but hopefully will have newborn and a 6 year old in the summer so will not be going abroad.

I’m thinking of either caravanning in Duncannon, Co Wexford, renting a house in Connemara or heading to Kerry.

Anyone else having a domestic holiday? Where are you going? Any advice etc?

[quote=“Sandymount Red, post: 872011, member: 1074”]Haven’t had a holiday in Ireland for ages, but hopefully will have newborn and a 6 year old in the summer so will not be going abroad.

I’m thinking of either caravanning in Duncannon, Co Wexford, renting a house in Connemara or heading to Kerry.

Anyone else having a domestic holiday? Where are you going? Any advice etc?[/quote]

Rented a house in Dingle for a week last August. Best domestic holiday in a long while. Super spot and loads to do although can be a bit expensive as they fleece the yanks. Would recommend getting booking in before Easter to get a value for money place. Lots of accom options here: http://www.dingle-peninsula.ie/accom4.html

Don’t go to Wexford, either Dingle or Connamara would be great choices.
Dingle would probably have more to do than Clifden though, but in either place if you get a wet week you’ll be fairly short on options.

[quote=“Sandymount Red, post: 872011, member: 1074”]Haven’t had a holiday in Ireland for ages, but hopefully will have newborn and a 6 year old in the summer so will not be going abroad.

Anyone else having a domestic holiday? Where are you going? Any advice etc?[/quote]

@Rocko[/USER], please provide a link to your holiday review of Wexford for @[USER=1074]Sandymount Red to peruse at his leisure.

[quote=“Whiplash, post: 760681, member: 638”]
A personal favourite of mine is Doonbeg. We stayed in these old style self catering holiday cottages overlooking the atlantic ocean and it was spectacular.[/quote]

Donald Trump has just bought this place apparently

Thinking of holidaying in Ireland with the kids this year - just a few days away as I have some foreign travel without kids also to do

3 and 5 are their ages. Has anybody stayed in that Kelly’s in Rosslare place - everybody seems to rave about it or what about Fota?

Edit - I see Kelly’s recommended above so might go with that

Yea I saw that. A client of ours was planning on buying a number of the cottages but the deal fell through. Eddie Hobbs used to be involved in terms of trying to find buyers for the properties. €15 million seems like a low amount but then again we don’t know what liabilities or obligations the company has in continuing as a going concern.

[quote=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 901869, member: 2272”]Thinking of holidaying in Ireland with the kids this year - just a few days away as I have some foreign travel without kids also to do

3 and 5 are their ages. Has anybody stayed in that Kelly’s in Rosslare place - everybody seems to rave about it or what about Fota?

Edit - I see Kelly’s recommended above so might go with that[/quote]
They’ll love Dunmore East.

Cheers Fagan. Kelly’s booked out it seems. Anywhere in a similar vein in the country - kid friendly with stuff for them to do

We stayed at Kenmare Bay Hotel in one of the lodges last year for a week. They had a playground and leisure centre, even have a small kiddies slide into the pool.
It rained a few days we were there so it was a godsend.

[quote=“Special Olympiakos, post: 901878, member: 366”]We stayed at Kenmare Bay Hotel in one of the lodges last year for a week. They had a playground and leisure centre, even have a small kiddies slide into the pool.
It rained a few days we were there so it was a godsend.[/quote]
thanks will check that out

I have seen Amber Springs in Gorey and Westport Woods recommended as well so will talk to herself this evening and decide

I meant to say we did Kellys the previous summer.

[quote=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 901879, member: 2272”]thanks will check that out

I have seen Amber Springs in Gorey and Westport Woods recommended as well so will talk to herself this evening and decide[/quote]

Banna Beach Hotel has houses you can rent, near the beach, has a pool, a playground, a kids club etc. The bar is decent there in the summer aswell usually have music on at night. Isolated enough, though you are only a short drive to Ballyheigue, ballybunion, tralee.

@TheUlteriorMotive - try giving Kellys a ring. Their website is notoriously poor and they’ll often have availability not showing on their site.

Fucking joke shop of a place.