The Official Irish Times Best Places to Holiday in Ireland Thread

I thought the Wineport Lodge was a bit pokey and claustrophobic - if the weather isn’t great it is a bit miserable

Fair point on the weather. Maybe more of a summer place.

If you can find a nice deal here grab it. It’s very comfortable and central(literally seconds from Eyre Square) an is owned by the crowd who owned Go Native, there is a beautiful tribute in the lobby. One of the few spots in the town that’s pretty much guaranteed to be free of stags too.
The Menlo Park is actually a grand spot with the added bonus of being the haunt of many a Menlo head So long as shes ok with putting up with the odd tinkers funeral and the like I couldn’t put you off it.

@Rocko[/USER] please rename this thread the Ask [USER=686]@Kinvara’s Passion[/USER] and [USER=286]@Lazarus for advice on our forthcoming trip to Galway Thread

[QUOTE=“TreatyStones, post: 1022508, member: 1786”]Not really what I’m looking for. Looking for something for a weekend away with herself that won’t break the bank.
You’d know that things are on the turn given the price of the hotels at the moment compared to 18 months ago.[/QUOTE]
I highly recommend the Galway Bay Hotel. First of all it’s a really nice hotel, rooms are spacious and very comfortable, good food, good service, although a little on the pricey side. Lovely view out over the bay, (unless of course you’re at the back looking into the carpark), 5 minute walk down to the pubs in Salthill, there’s lovely little restaurant there, The Galleon, if you weren’t eating in the Hotel or in Town. Downside is, that there are normally 2 weddings going on there every Fri/Sat, and of course it’s roughly a €10 taxi ride to town…You could always swap that for the beautiful walk along the Prom if it wan’t raining.

Another place I’m very fond of is the The Westwood Hotel…As above, it’s a really nice hotel and it’s quite reasonably priced, probably due to it’s location on the Western outskirts of the city, making it a 10+ minute Taxi-ride to Town, but the hotel itself is top notch, and should impress the missus…Again, expect weddings to be going on there on on a Fri or Sat

Gents,

I’ve decided on the ring of Kerry for my break at the end of the month. Haven’t been down that way in ages.
Anyone done it lately. I’ll prob have 3 days/two nights on it. Not sure if I’ll move hotels or just base myself in one.
I’d like to do at least one nights drinking in some small place like Portmagee but open to suggestions for a venue.

[QUOTE=“Julio Geordio, post: 1028048, member: 332”]Gents,

I’ve decided on the ring of Kerry for my break at the end of the month. Haven’t been down that way in ages.
Anyone done it lately. I’ll prob have 3 days/two nights on it. Not sure if I’ll move hotels or just base myself in one.
I’d like to do at least one nights drinking in some small place like Portmagee but open to suggestions for a venue.[/QUOTE]

I’ve stayed at the Sneem Hotel twice and found it good on both occasions. Nice little down there for drinking too, but not sure how busy it will be at this time of year. If you are looking for something a bit fancier Parknasilla is just out the road.

Ya I might be better off in Kenmare at that time of the year.

Spent a few days in Dingle recently. Lovely town and good base for the peninsula. Full of pubs. We stayed in self catering as suits us with little baby so not sure about hotels. I heard the skellig is decent and has a pool

Ya. A good base for the wrong peninsula.

Depends what you’re into. Did the ring of Kerry loads of times. Slea Head drive as good as it comes if you have a nice day. You can even go see Funghi

The Kerry lads were well chuffed with their All Ireland

[QUOTE=“corner back, post: 1028144, member: 1572”]Depends what you’re into. Did the ring of Kerry loads of times. Slea Head drive as good as it comes if you have a nice day. You can even go see Funghi

The Kerry lads were well chuffed with their All Ireland[/QUOTE]

Well considering he said “I’ve decided to do the ring of Kerry” then it wasn’t a great suggestion.

missed that bit

[QUOTE=“Julio Geordio, post: 1028048, member: 332”]Gents,

I’d like to do at least one nights drinking in some small place like Portmagee but open to suggestions for a venue.[/QUOTE]

If the weather is good do Valentia and the Skelligs if you can.

O’Neill’s (the point) seafood restaurant is a great spot for a bit of lunch in Renard at the ferry to Valentia.

Very nice walk along the Kerry way between Kenmare & Killarney, the locals.

Parknasilla and Kenmare Park hotel are both very nice but overpriced. We just did B&Bs along the route.

Should @Julio Geordio bring a jacket with him?

This thread has gone serious roaster.

@Fagan ODowd - have you any recommendations on things to do in the Ardmore area?

Thinly veiled “Hey everybody look at me, I’m off to The Cliff” from Mac

Fuckin hell, whats up your (short)arse this morning?

Riding the wife in the Cliff House seems to be the main thing to do in the Ardmore area.