The Official Irish Times Best Places to Holiday in Ireland Thread

Would it be on a par with Gallaghers Boxty House

Nice trek from kinvara to blacklion for an auld steak KP

Where’s that?

Sorry mate. Bit of a running joke on here. There was a poster on here before who used to claim Gallaghers Boxty House (an Oirish tourist trap) in Temple Bar used to serve the best cuisine in Dublin.

Yes mate it is though we are half way there already and visiting friends tomorrow on way down will shorten the road.

Jesus, Roscommon… Not sure I could live here.

I went there a good few years ago. Lovely spot. Food fancier than more wholesome stuff he does on tv. Rooms were booked out so we stayed down the road. His wife dropped us home in a nice touch that reflected the good service.
Young lad who dropped us back to the car the next day played football for Leitrim. I hadn’t heard of him but he seems to be about the best of them bar Mulligan, Wayne McKeon. Seemed like an alright sort. McKeon’s B&B/guest house is grand; basic enough.

Thanks cb. Just off the phone there to confirm the booking. Nevin does all the voiceovers on the telephone system…

We are staying there alright so I won’t have the pleasure of getting Mrs McGuire to drive me home.

Booked out till August too. Sounds like he is cleaning up.

We went there around 06 I’d say. I think we had to book about 8 months ahead or something just for the meal.

Crikey.

Was there for Easter Sunday lunch last year. Booked it the previous September. The food was decent but very rich and saucey. Bit of indigestion that night. Place is sptless and service was top notch. Nevin usually does a tour of the tables after dessert but he wasn’t there that day #sadface

This place is pristine if a little cramped. A delightful young lady welcomed us at reception. The room is quite warm so I’ve opened a window to let some fresh air in… There is a woeful smell of horseshit wafting in the window here from a lorry parked across the street.

Stopped at Lough Allen on way up… Some views today.

I have nothing only admiration for Nevin McGuire after my brief visit to Blacklion during the week.

Wednesday evening, over 100 people seated at approx 100 euro a head, add to that a price of 140 euro for a standard enough double room for the night. Same numbers… 5 nights a week. Next morning a cookery school in full wing at 9.30. Its a money making machine. I would estimate he’s taking in about 400k a month.

The place is in the middle of nowhere, the town is literally falling down around his property but yet his place looks pristine and professional. The food and service is top notch. The place is booked out till next September. They travelling in their droves across the border with their sterling and cant get enough of the place.

The new Sean Quinn.

[QUOTE=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 1109623, member: 686”]I have nothing only admiration for Nevin McGuire after my brief visit to Blacklion during the week.

Wednesday evening, over 100 people seated at approx 100 euro a head, add to that a price of 140 euro for a standard enough double room for the night. Same numbers… 5 nights a week. Next morning a cookery school in full wing at 9.30. Its a money making machine. I would estimate he’s taking in about 400k a month.

The place is in the middle of nowhere, the town is literally falling down around his property but yet his place looks pristine and professional. The food and service is top notch. The place is booked out till next September. They travelling in their droves across the border with their sterling and cant get enough of the place.

The new Sean Quinn.[/QUOTE]

What was the grub like?

[QUOTE=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 1109623, member: 686”]I have nothing only admiration for Nevin McGuire after my brief visit to Blacklion during the week.

The new Sean Quinn.[/QUOTE]
I never figured KP for a pure mug but there you are.

I think he had a voucher

He had to top it up and give actual money to the plump little cunt.

I must admit despite having a voucher for 250 euro I was still mugged for the bones of another 150.

Nevin is mugging lads off good and proper, left right and centre.

That’s a harsh thing to say about kPs wife.

I’ve been suckered in by the radio ads for NI Tourism and wish to take a mini family break around the coast of Antrim preferably over the Easter holidays as I like to tweet/facebook pictures of pints on Good Friday to my jealous friends.

Must sees are:
Titanic visitor centre
Giants Causeway
Bushmills distillery
The dark Hedges - Ballymoney
Carrisk-a-Rede rope bridge

Can anyone recommend a good spot/hotel to base myself for such a trip?

[QUOTE=“Spidey, post: 1109640, member: 289”]I’ve been suckered in by the radio ads for NI Tourism and wish to take a mini family break around the coast of Antrim preferably over the Easter holidays as I like to tweet/facebook pictures of pints on Good Friday to my jealous friends.

Must sees are:
Titanic visitor centre
Giants Causeway
Bushmills distillery
The dark Hedges - Ballymoney
Carrisk-a-Rede rope bridge

Can anyone recommend a good spot/hotel to base myself for such a trip?[/QUOTE]
This cunt going on holidays to visit a couple of sectarian icons and a ditch.