The Official Irish Times Best Places to Holiday in Ireland Thread

You may as well visit Warrenpoint so. :ronnyroar:

Tollymore if it’s a nice day

1 Like

I never really had much to say anyway really but I can row in on this. The Ormonde is grand, just like a lot of hotels built around the same time, its major advantages are that it is central and it does have a gym. I have never liked it though. Nearby is The Hibernian which is the one I’d recommend, it is also close to everything and the building is nicer. The Pembroke is just up the street too and is very popular, those three hotels are all at the High St/Parade end of town, another one to consider is The River Court especially if the weather is nice has as it is right on the river opposite the castle walls. Avoid the Kilkenny Inn Hotel, The Kilford Hotel, The Clubhouse Hotel, Springhill and The Days Hotel. Hotel Kilkenny and The Newpark are nice but not right in town.
Depending on what kind of atmosphere you are after there are many options for watching the match. If you want the Old Man/hurling pub go down to Reidys on Parliament St, its a real locals spot but they have seen visitors/tourists before so you’ll be ok. You could also head over to John St. where Langtons may be showing it on a cinema screen in their theatre or you could go to Billy Byrnes or O Gormans but stay out of The World’s End.
On Sunday night Kytlers and Morrisons will be open late and will be busy.

On Monday night their is a trad session in Cleere’s in Parliament St. and if you want a late drink go to Matt the Millers, they have a covers band playing there every Monday night for about a million years and its always jammers on a Monday night- Its the Saturday Night for all the people who work weekends, especially the young and lively

1 Like

Good to see you back

1 Like

Slieve Gullion in South Armagh is an easy enough climb from my memory. The Silent Valley reservoir in the Mournes is very nice.

Carlingford Lough is definitely the place to go if the weather is nice.

1 Like

:clap: :clap: :clap:

The World’s End just doesn’t have the same charisma as it did since they put a front on it.

Fear not, a quick squint down the alley into the beer…, well, yard will show you that things are pretty much the same as they ever were. Still very busy on Mondays- during the day.

The Kilkenny crowd are great craic

It’d be like asking you something about Limerick hurling these days. Sure you wouldn’t have a notion.

3 Likes

Never mind me, the problem is that Teege doesn’t either

1 Like

Sorry @ChocolateMice Only seeing this now.

Ormonde is good. Stayed there for a wedding a couple of months ago. Location is ideal.
@Midshipman_Asha has it covered.

Matt the Millers on Monday nights. At least 20 years that must be going.

Un-relievable.

Cheers, kid… I wont be setting foot in Langtons. I went for the Ormonde because of the Spa and have set the good lady up with treatments from 3 so i’ll tip on down to Billy Byrnes and indulge in a few auld hints and be spoken down to about hurling-- Reidy’s has too much of a feel of an old man pub, which is usally fine, but not when sport is on, some auld fellas get too contrary and i’m there to relax for a few days not put some auld cunt through a window. I’ll be staying out of Langtons for the same reason.

1 Like

Tynan’s on the bridge is grand pub too. Good atmosphere and a nice rastooler vibe.

2 Likes

Tynans is a great fucking boozer.

A proper pub

Up north formanagh

Heading back to Killarney next week for a few nights with the kids

Anything down there I should do with the kids - will probably tip over to Dingle one of the days, is the dolphin thing worth doing?

Had to cancel a trip to London with herself end of next week due to the hurling QFs - all picture no sound at the moment but she’ll come around

2 Likes

Mate, you’re going to have to tell us what your role with the Cork hurling team is once and for all rather than alluding to it every now and then. I know someone who was outed in REAL LIFE on TFK and he lived to tell the tale, albeit he was sacked from work.

4 Likes

Who was that, pal? pm there, thanks.