The Official Irish Times Best Places to Holiday in Ireland Thread

Stop off in Lisloughrey lodge in Cong for a night on the way back from bud. Lovely spot with lovely food in the grounds of Ashford Caste estate.

Save Westport and Mayo for a separate trip. Ye’ve a lifetime of holidays to look forward to. No need to be rushing around.

Is it August Bank Holiday weekend in Belmullet when all the diaspora come home? If so, make sure & visit that weekend. Great craic up there.

Thinking of heading to Derry with the Mrs for a couple of nights, anyone been before, worth the trip up?

Did it in august a few years ago. Used it as a base and went up to Malin head.

1 Like

No.

I was up in the Gaeltacht area in North Donegal a few years ago and it was genuinely class - scenary up there with the best the Kingdom has to offer, Derry is supposed to be nice enough as well, something different anyway.

1 Like

Was out West Clare way earlier this week with work. Kilrush is a strange place.

Awful spot, an awful blight on an otherwise nice part of the country.

Scenery was grand, general population extremely weird & a little frightening. Awful sense of sly menace off the fuckers.

Kelly family have that town destroyed possibly with the help of a few non locals. Awful vibe around there when I ever stopped off at a shop on the way over to Kilkee/Lahinch.

Very unWesht Clare like feeling to the place being honest.

Bring her to Keem beach in Achill and she’ll be yours forever

2 Likes

Throw up a picture there of what it looks like on one of the 361 days of the year that it’s raining and we’ll see Princess Life Partner will make of it.

7 Likes

Did @Mac really recommend spending 2 nights in Barna as a way to see the west of Ireland? Why not go a mile in the road and spend a couple of nights in Knocknacarra?

Deary me.

8 Likes

Yep.afraid he did.still cant believe it

1 Like

Easy from the cheap seats. Where were you when the advice was needed?

He was lying to someone offline I’d say.[quote=“Mac, post:736, topic:17414, full:true”]

Easy from the cheap seats. Where were you when the advice was needed?
[/quote]

1 Like

Ah now. That’s good, very good. :grinning:

:grinning:

1 Like

On a sabbatical. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it was just terrible advice as opposed to a cynical attempt to scupper his romantic holiday.

1 Like