The Official Irish Times Best Places to Holiday in Ireland Thread

Barna is effectively a suburb of Galway. For anybody who hasn’t been to the West of Ireland before, it makes little sense to stay in Barna rather than in the city itself. It’s not far enough away from the city to give you any advantage for using it as a base to explore Connemara during the day, but it’s also far enough away from the city to either i) seriously limit your options at night if you stay out there or ii) make it a real hassle getting into and back from the city if alcohol is being consumed.

2 Likes

Bundoran is a *dump I should know I spent every weekend of my early life drinking there
*Apart from O Neills bar

O’Neill’s Bar was the epicentre of Provoism.

1 Like

https://youtu.be/H2IIjSVgX0s

Hon Joe.

1 Like

Agreed. Absolutely terrible advice from Mac here.

1 Like

Ballynahinch Castle would be a better spot to stay fro one night. Food is very good and the grounds and scenery are sensational.

1 Like

+1
Everytime I’ve passed it I’ve promised I’d go back to stay there. Looks class.

2 Likes

Inis Meain is lovely… The August weekend is their big weekend.

Edit - I might be there myself that weekend so fuck off to the Sandies over on Inis Oirr you.

1 Like

nice to see some of the main contributors to the galway criticism thread on here creaming themselves over our fine county.

Do two nights in the city, gives enough time for sight seeing and ating n drinking. Drive to rossaveal and get the boat to inis mor for one night, bus or bike the scenery, back at rossaveal drive the coast as far as roundstone and stay there, the next day drive through clifden and out the sky road and stop off in cleggan. This is the nicest corner of all of galway and slightly less over ran by tourists than everything below clifden. A hidden gem if you will. Keep going towards leenane and maybe as far as westport and spend a night or two there. If you don’t mind the driving, and its fuck all driving realy go on up to belmullet for the next night, then sligo the next, then as far as donegal town and explore a bit from there.

2 Likes

Inis Mor?? :rollseyes:

Might as well head to Kilkee.

do they have mobile coverage on the Islands?

they do

Thats amazing

That’s the least popular one isn’t it, in terms of foot fall? Is that the middle one? Many pubs on it?

I wonder what tinder would be like out there?

Yup - which is why it’s the best… One pub in the middle of it. Used to be a small hotel too that had a couple of bands on August weekend but not sure if that’s still going.

Its unreal out there. I was thinking of moving out there actually, back to basics and away from numpties.

I’d say the winters would be tough tho.

Didnt take long to find a picture related to it. Look at these two playas swiping right like theres no tomorrow. Their pick of cashed up american geriatric totty.

4 Likes