The Official Irish Times Best Places to Holiday in Ireland Thread

Especially if you into gassing Jews, you fascist bully

2 Likes

Ooh the rarely spotted thin-skinned nordie makes an appearance.

I’m Italian

8 Likes

#MeToo

1 Like

:smiley:

^^^^

This. There is also a pub at the crossroads you can park in and do the same. A takeaway cappuccino was £3.80 but better than the £11 per adult ticket.

Rope bridge closes at 2:30 every day until February 2019 so get it done early.

Go to the Dark Hedges on a quiet mid week and chance a sneaky drive down it when no ones looking.

Ah really? Nah. If you don’t mind walking from The Smugglers to the Causeway you can walk the Hedges. The Hedges is being destroyed by idiots driving down it.

1 Like

I stayed in the Hilton in Antrim for a few days last December,lovely hotel and actually quiet reasonable,20-25 mins from Belfast and less than an hr from the giants causeway, rope bridge and bushmills, it was also very near an outlet centre so herself was in her element getting the Christmas shopping in

I’m staying in Waterford city soon on a weekend night with the better half, any good pubs to go into or to avoid? @Fagan_ODowd

Geoff’s
Tom Mahers
Downes
McLoughlins
Jordan’s
The Reginald
Davy Macs
The Munster
Uisce Beatha

All good pubs.

I’d avoid the likes of Masons and the Foundry. Generally these are nightclubs for younger gurriers.

1 Like

My mother used to work in the foundry in Waterford in the 70s. Not the pub, mind you.

Where will you be staying @Smark

That was evocative of

On and on, over the hill to Ardglass
In the jamjar, autumn sunshine, magnificent
And all shining through

Stop off at Ardglass for a couple of jars of
Mussels and some potted herrings in case
We get famished before dinner

I know the forum is on tenterhooks waiting for an update on how my trip went.

Portrush is a grand little spot, we were there over the weekend and still plenty life about the place. I’d say it’s good craic in the summer.
Drove out the coast road as far as Ballycastle and did the Causeway, the rope bridge and the Bushmills distillery as well as stopping off randomly at a few points along the way.
Very nice and scenic drive, some nice little beaches and viewing points along the way.
The rope bridge was a bit meh, nice view on the walk out to the bridge alright but that’s about the only selling point. It was fucking £8 a head as well. :joy: They are cleaning up, even at this time of the year, easily a couple of hundred people there in the hour I was there. I’d say it’s mayhem altogether in the summer. Apparently you can be queuing ages just to cross the bridge. Fuck knows where they are spending all the money they are taking because it’s certainly not being spent around there.
I enjoyed the causeway a lot more, we didn’t pay the fee to park there (£11.50 a head or something mental like that), but we parked around the corner for £6 total and strolled up and it’s free to walk in then. Again I’d say it’s a nightmare in the summer, even in the depths of winter it was a cunt to walk around with tourists posing for 4,000 photos that they’ll never look at again. Still a very cool place. Worth the visit.
I covered the Bushmills distillery in the Whiskey thread. Grand spot. Worth a visit.
Spent a great night in the Kiwi bar in Portrush, unraleable food, showing a load of sport and had a hape of Kinnegar White Rabbit Pale Ale which might be my new favourite hipster beer.
Went down to Slieve Donard then for two nights after. Highly recommended, very nice hotel. Great pool etc, right on the beach, savage rooms, great breakfast. Best hotel I’ve stayed in for a while.
Newcastle is a grand sized town beside it, plenty choice for restaurants and bars.
Called into Newry on the way home and bought a hape of drink for Christmas as well :pint:

A grand trip overall, I feel I’ve done my bit for North-South relations. Will definitely go back to the Slieve Donard at some point.

10 Likes

Great stuff. Sounds like you had a great time.

The Marina hotel.

1 Like

Grand spot. I’ve stayed there myself. Nearest pub is the Three Shippes which is grand. After that it’s the Munster the Reginald and Jordan’s that are closest. All good pubs.

1 Like

Did you see many Protestants?

1 Like

7 confirmed

I love the way eire types get excited by seeing a protestant

1 Like