The Official Irish Times Best Places to Holiday in Ireland Thread

I’d say Carlingford is a grand spot midweek but absolutely hell at the weekend

I’m looking for a place up north (not Belfast) for maybe a three night break over the Christmas holidays. Would you recommend Derry city or anything else instead? Have never been to Donegal so might do that instead, although I suspect it might be better go there in summer.

I’d say 3 nights anywhere other than Belfast might be a bit much. Derry city is a grand spot for a couple of nights. You could have a fine time driving round the north coast- Cushendall is nice, take in the Bushmills distillery, dunluce castle and any of the beaches round Portrush or Portstewart.
Portrush would be a good spot for a night- you’ll end up in the harbour bar, there’s a couple of decent restaurants beside it.
Donegal can be gloomy enough in the winter but you could put in a few days round gweedore, falcarragh and dunfanaghey. I was in gweedore for the frankie Kennedy festival a few years ago. Great couple of nights, but you’d want to get booking.
http://scoilgheimhridh.com/

2 Likes

Short answer is “No”.
Donegal at this time of year can be bleak and decent hotels combined with restaurants and bars in vicinity limited to Donegal town or Letterkenny. A few miles out of Donegal town you’d have the excellent Harvey’s Point and almost equally excellent Solus but they’re a bit pricey.
Derry I’ve never been crazy about but many would say it’s a great spot.
North Coast - Portstewart is nicer then Portrush. Amici’s is great little Italian. Portrush does have the Harbour\Ramore complex. Good food but they like to process you as quick as possible - not the place for a relaxing meal. Not sure about accommodation in either of the Ports. There’s the Rpyal Court on the coast road outside Portrush that has superb views across the bay to Donegal.
Bushmills Inn has a good rep tho’ again maybe a bit pricey and I wouldn’t recommend dandering about any of the local bars, but it’s well placed for the Distillery, the Giant’s Causeway and the rope bridge at Cariick-a-Rede.
Ballycastle has a few decent eating places and a couple of good bars but accommodation again a problem.Marine hotel has fantastic views out to Rathlin, Fairhead and across to Scotland but I’ve heard poor reports of the rooms.
Cushendall at the moment will be a great spot with their Ulster chmpionship being celebrated. Only know of one good restaurant there and accommodation again a problem.
If the weather is half decent you should drive the coast road from Portrush to as far as Glenarm particularly taking the coastal route between Ballycastle and Cushendun by turning off the main road at Ballyvoy. You won’t regret it.

4 Likes

Try the Shandon at Marble Hill Beach for a deal. Good spa hotel with savage grub. From Dunfanaghy you’re about 20 mins from Letterkenny and the same from Gweedore. You could take in Port Salon, Ards Forest Park, Fanad Lighthouse, Doe Castle, Glenveagh National Park and the Bloody Foreland. So long as you don’t mind the cold it’s still a beautiful county.

You could even get up and down Errigal or Muckish, the latter being better.

1 Like

Yes Donegal’s a fantastic county - just better in summer I think!. There’s a fairly newish hotel in Dungloe too which is very good - the Waterfront? I think - and then you have Glenties not too far away. Great scenery all round Donegal and great quiet beaches which is why I say better for summer time.

I’m not overly familiar with that end of the county to be honest.

I’ve heard that the Oceanfront in Redcastle is very nice and it’s close to Derry as well so you’d have all of Inishowen to discover and over as far as the Giant’s Causeway.

Derry is an excellent spot eating wise, a little culinary gem in the last few years. I can’t speak for pinting there at night as I tend to come back to somewhere more taxi friendly to Letterkenny if I’m out for dinner there.

1 Like

Cheers for that mate.

We are going to stay in Portrush for two nights (wasn’t much by way of accomodation in Portstewart) and do the coast drive, Causeway, rope bridge etc. I might head for Derry for a day trip depending on how it’s going. Staying in Slieve Donard for a couple of nights then on the way home.

You’re nuts staying in Portrush. It’s like Springfield after the monorail.

It’s been put on the map?

1 Like

I was in Portrush once for a FatBoySlim concert.

Stayed in Portrush for a night before. It’s grand. Northern Ireland’s Ballybunion

Slieve Donard will be nice @Julio_Geordio

Call in for tae on the way home

Looks nice and relatively cheap as well considering. I suppose who the fuck wants to be near the seaside at the start of December :joy:

Going away for your wedding anniversary to some shithole in the north. You old romantic .

Outstanding

Portrush is a great spot, is Lush still going? make sure to tel them you are from the south in the pub

1 Like

I’ll wear my Limerick jersey to be safe

Enjoy!
One other thing or two. If you go to the Causeway, don’t pay their extortionate car park fee. Go into the hotel car park & get a coffee or snack in the hotel. You can then walk down to the Causeway for free (well, for the price of the coffee) and without getting ripped off by the National Trust. The NT’s car park fee also includes their visitor centre but I reckon you don’t need that.
Check if the rope bridge is still open also. They close it when the weather starts getting bad.

2 Likes

Honeymoon in Aushwitz, wedding anniversary at a Northern Irish seaside. She’s lucky to have him really.

5 Likes

Auschwitz would be better craic than the North.

1 Like