The Official TFK Father's Issues Thread. I don't know how they do it

I think it was a little under 200 a day for a small six berth (comfortable 4 berth but two beds had to be made each evening and put away in the morning), i canā€™t recall the name but it was in Dublin Airport, you had a few choices throughout the country to pick up or drop off but we had our car at the airport so that was our choice made.
Itā€™s great fun but youā€™d want a bit of weather to get out of it, we had considered buying one but decided not to afterwards, Iā€™d say if you had two kids or maybe even three youā€™d manage long term but for the size weā€™d need youā€™d hardly see change out of 80 grand.
The campsites around Ireland are surprisingly good, youā€™d never know they were there, the ones in the North tend to be better.

1 Like

Heā€™s teething. Give him nice things to chew on. Hit him a shot on the nose anytime he bites you or Princess.
Rub his belly if he nips Mrs O Sullivan.

1 Like

We looked into a break like this years ago but it came across as very expensive when you factor in the campsite prices per day and being ripped off in Irish hotels and restaurants, along with dodgy weather.
While itā€™s nice to explore Ireland itā€™s hard to bear France or Spain for a family break.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been doing that alrightā€¦ Iā€™ll persevere, thanks bud.

We had lunch out every day, the other two meals were cooked in the van. The campsite costs were very cheap. France (or the South of England)would be the right job alright but we were really only testing if it would suit our needs so we toured the North East, the part of the country weā€™d be less familiar with.
The kids absolutely loved the van, way more than any hotel and thereā€™s great craic among them in the evenings on the sites. We got an 8 man tent afterwards so they could continue to experience it

Where did ye go on the trip?

First stop was Blackrock co Louth for lunch on one of the hottest days of last year, nice spot for you id say.
we had no plan, first night in Gylles Quay, then on to Kilkeel, close to Newcastle co Down, a nice buzzy seaside resort, kids loved that so we stayed 3 nights, Tollymore National Park and all that, great spot, then Strangford, spent the last night in a lovely campsite in Rush.
Down is a good county for the adventurous, youā€™d like it

3 Likes

Did ye like Gyles Quay? Thatā€™ll be about 5km from where we move to next week.

Itā€™s just a beach and massive campsite, it was jam packed with Nordies in Celtic or Armagh jerseys escaping the twelfth, close to Carlingford which is a decent town except for the weekend,

Truly a beautiful part of Ireland.

Aye thatā€™s the impression I got from anything I read. Weā€™ve the sea out the front of the gaff so I think Iā€™ll be able to avoid having to go up there

I still think the foreign option is far cheaper. When the lads were smaller we rented a house in Kerry because we didnā€™t want the hassle of flying with toddlers etc.
While they were an enjoyable holiday the foreign option is far far better value for money.

Iā€™d rather holiday with the Germans than the Nordies pal

2 Likes

Make sure to bring your own deck chair and sun towel

1 Like

You sound like my auld lad when heā€™s in Gran Canaria, setting the alarm to race the Germans to the deck chairs, the big roaster :rofl:

3 Likes

You canā€™t beat an Irish holiday. The peasantry will flock to Santa ponsa and the likes and think they are experiencing high culture, but unless you own your own villa in an exclusive part of Spain, youā€™re really only slumming it with sunshine .

You do a lot more in Ireland and see an awful lot more.

@ChocolateMice enjoying his most recent Irish holiday

7 Likes

I find the Germans are grand if you go 4 star or above. Pick a nice hotel/villa and the med is perfect.

No kid, we have a villa in an exclusive part of Spainā€¦ Anyway, heā€™s way too white to be me.

1 Like

Weā€™ve done all that as well mate, I hadnā€™t realised it was a competition. My kids are lucky, theyā€™ll get to see all of Ireland, we never went further than Youghal on holidays,
My smallest is only about a year out of a buggy, options are opening up for us again but itā€™s a big crowd, I like the convenience of having our own wheels under us and the roof box above.

1 Like