The Official TFK Ireland 1912-1923 Thread

Florrie was a Kerry man wasn’t he

Think born there not 10O pc

Yep rathmore according to Wikipedia,moved to cork at 15

I thought rathmore was Cork?

1 Like

Kerry.

Cork ,/ Kerry border, parish extends into Kerry,I know don’t ask

I get confused. I’ve an old friend from knocknagree which is in Cork but he’s a Kerry man. I think he schooled in rathmore

Something like Ballybofey, Donegal same main Street runs into another town Stranorlar

No, Rathmore is Kerry, Knocknagree all Cork but they’d all go to secondary school in Rathmore, fierce rivalry up there, the pubs in Knocknagree are always choc a bloc with Kerry men on munster final night, well every once in a blue moon it’d be the way that the pubs in Rathmore or Gneeveguilla would be full of Corkmen, the mother in law is Knocknagree, daycent folk up there, love music and football…, and drinking

4 Likes

Ya. yer man is as decent a person you could meet. I’ve only ever been back that way once or twice when his auld lad needed bodies for turf.

1 Like

Good to see you posting again fella

Fair play @Fagan_ODowd

What instrument did you play?

2 Likes

You’ll have to TYPE IN CAPITALS SO HE CAN HEAR YOU

2 Likes

This was two local Catholics killed doing their job. It was a secure job and much like the people who volunteered for the British Army, the people who did it would have gone into for such and were discarded by history.

The ambush was widely reviled at the time, revisionism is what has given it its glory.

The lads want it everyway. They want it to be considered an act of war but the behaviour was not as such, they didn’t need to be killed the way they were, on the ground.

1 Like

It was a fraction of the numbers who served in the British Army. There were also thousands in the RIC over the years.

Irish people are more likely to have a relative in them than the Old IRA. Most people are pretenders.

1 Like

It was reviled in the Irish Times.

How was recruitment maintained for the RIC?
It was reviled in the 1860s and the 1880s but yet held on. Was the pay that good?

That revisionism happened pretty fast as Dan Breen was elected to the Dail by the people of Tipperary in 1923.
The two RIC men killed were from Mayo and Cork, neither local to Solohead.
Plenty of revisionism from you and your ilk though.

2 Likes

Oh wow so people can’t be born somewhere else and then move there for work? Very unusual for police. :rofl:

Why were they killed on the ground, in contravention of the Geneva Convention?

Dan Breen was an animal. He’s the same guy who cried when Hitler died. It’s okay to criticise people whose cause you agreed with.

You are out of your comfort zone here Tim.