The Official TFK Ireland 1912-1923 Thread

Really? Did you read the article I posted?

On a scale of 1 - 10, how outraged are you at the fate of the RIC men at Soloheadbeg or the Loughnane brothers of Beagh?

1 Like

Tim puts more value onto the life of British soldiers than Irish ones

@anon7035031 tearing Tim a new aresehole here😁

Again, whataboutery.

What was the commemoration for Tim?

What are you cracking on about? If you have a point just make it, or is this at the same level as your Black and Tan one?

Local newspapers at the time described the local reaction as it being a tragedy and wrong. Even where there was support for the cause of the Irish question, there was not support for this.

The commemoration was for the start of the war of independence, not to celebrate the killing of two men.

Your whole argument is whataboutery, as you like to say, a lot.

You’ve used it to have a dig at Irish soldiers.

Fagan had you right.

“Fact: all accounts showed locals disagreed…”
Bullshit. There were 25 houses in Solohead in 1911 census. Tracy, Breen and Hogan would have stayed in half of them from one point to another.

2 Likes

It isn’t whataboutery as I am directly addressing and demolishing your argument. The only subject I am discussing with you is the Geneva convention and it’s relevance during the war of Irish independence. You after all, are the one who brought it up.

Do you honestly believe that in a war one side should “behave” and abide by the Geneva convention if the other side are behaving like medieval savages? It’s very strange logic.

4 Likes

It wasn’t a war when the Brits did it kid. We were only their subjects and they could do with us as they wish, like they did in India, Africa, Australia and America.

God forbid the cat paws the dog.

1 Like

The old dictum a friend of my enemy and all that. Funny how lads try to apply today’s hindsight, context and standards to events of a hundred years ago.

1 Like

I referenced SF. Keep up.

That’s exactly what is happening here though.

These men were masked and it was a grubby and cowardly attack. They had no authorization from senior Volunteers. Dan Breen states he went out to kill and within SF at the time and the Volunteers they were talked as murderers. 50 years later Breen still said that it wasn’t recognized.

Where on earth was that said?

Why is this so difficult for you?

FFS grow up,16 leadership had piss thrown over them prior to executions then public attitudes changed, remember Ireland was brow beaten for hundreds of years , empire employed thousands,but a brave few did the dirty work for the many, similar to the 1981 hunger strike everyone in the free state were appalled at the war in the 6 counties, SF were hated north and south until the 10 died and ppl woke up to what was happening up the road,men were allowed die to gain political traction ,all these things happened for a reason,and none of them were easily won ,from Dan Breen / mcswiney/ McCurtain/Bobby Sand’s and co they sacrificed so that people could have some hope of a future without John bull having a chain around them,when the first shots were fired they were on a road with no turning back ,brave steps indeed,so pardon me for being seemingly one tracked where Irish freedom is concerned but you and I would not be able to discuss this topic if those guys didnt take that first step,so instead of this old crap about 2 defenceless guys going about their daily business,it was British empire business they were at ,they chose it and as such were legitimate targets,no easy way out of it they had to receive the ultimate sanction/ execution or we’d all be still tipping the hat to the brits

1 Like

You’re doing no such thing.

You brought up another incident. I absolutely do not support it.

But it is something else. If you want to describe it as an act of war, then behave that way.

Also comparing dissident involvement in a car bomb up north as in some way be intrinsically linked with motivations of rebels all those years ago is a assinine way to look at what happened over the course of history.

The RIC were eyes and ears of british intelligence in Ireland. The clue is in the acronym -“Royal” . This prefix to Irish constabulary was an honour bestowed upon them ceremonially in recognition for their outstanding support in crushing fenian rebellions. Also they were in no way like the Gardai of today. They were gathering and collating information in the 39 barracks throughout Tipperary and sending it back to Dublin Castle.

They were 5 RIC officers in Kilsheelan at the time. A tiny village much smaller back then than it is today. Do you honestly think they were there to inspect Dog licences. Short answer no. To further flesh out the inappropriate comparison between the guards of the day and the RIC it is worth noting that these RIC officers were not representative of the people, there was no legal underpinning for the RIC. To be an RIC inspector in charge of constables in each of the 39 stations you were in nearly every case a world war 1 veteran who was skilled in munitions and counter enemy intelligence.

We would not have the country we have today were it not for the events that happened a hundred years ago today.

6 Likes

You’re repeatedly saying it wasn’t an act of war, therefore condoning the torture, murder and subjugation of Irish men and women. As well as the occupation of Irish land by British soldiers against the will of the Irish people.

2 Likes