The Olympics

Serious question.

Why donā€™t Ireland enter a soccer team into the Olympics? Now I know most of our soccer fans here arenā€™t fans of Olympic football, neither am I, but there must be a reason out there somewhere why we dont enter a team other than ā€œcos its shiteā€.

Thereā€™s a crisis on RTE - someone just stole George Hamiltons biscuits

donā€™t think we could as there are two football associations on the island while the olympic team is like the rugby team as it takes in the whole island or so i believeā€¦

does anyone know how the soccer teams qualify for the olympics i see belgium got into itā€¦

We donā€™t qualify MBB. Qualification is based on the Under 21 European Championships which Holland won last year. The top 4 from that tournament go through I think - except England because of England v UK issues.

[quote=ā€œThe Pukeā€]donā€™t think we could as there are two football associations on the island while the olympic team is like the rugby team as it takes in the whole island or so i believeā€¦

does anyone know how the soccer teams qualify for the olympics i see belgium got into itā€¦[/quote]

its done for European teams by the Euro U.21 championships. 4 teams go thru from Europe, this years semi finalists which was Italy, Holland, Serbia and Belgium who take Englands place. 2 Teams from South America, which is based on their U.20 championship (Brazil and Argentina) 2 from North America, 4 from Asia (including host nation, bullshit numbers in comparison really), 1 from Oceania (Australias free ticket every year) and 3 from Africa, which gives you 16 teams.

It was Italy who took Englandā€™s place Gman but other than that youā€™re right. Not sure we could participate if we qualified though, weā€™d need an agreement with FIFA maybe. Same as the English.

Ah I see, cheers for that.

apologies rocko. There are a serious amount of mistakes being made on the board today, and plenty of eagle eyed pundits to point them out. Must try harder the next time!!

AFAIK, there isnt too much to be granted the freedom to play, think it is mainly down to the countries. Team GB are trying to sort something out for the London olympics, but I think its the Welsh/Scottish FAā€™s who dont want to participate with England, according to Fergie who was tipped to be the manager of the British football side in the 2012 olympics

Thatā€™s alright Gman, itā€™s Pukeā€™s influence on the board.

Whatā€™s the story with Egan and Hession? Thought weā€™d be kicking off now.

[quote=ā€œGmanā€]apologies rocko. There are a serious amount of mistakes being made on the board today, and plenty of eagle eyed pundits to point them out. Must try harder the next time!!

AFAIK, there isnt too much to be granted the freedom to play, think it is mainly down to the countries. Team GB are trying to sort something out for the London olympics, but I think its the Welsh/Scottish FAā€™s who dont want to participate with England, according to Fergie who was tipped to be the manager of the British football side in the 2012 olympics[/quote]

I have a feeling money will talk and this will come to pass. Wont be such a big ordeal due to most of them being U21. Doubt NI, Sco, Wal would get too much of a look in anyway.

[quote=ā€œtherock67ā€]
Whatā€™s the story with Egan and Hession? Thought weā€™d be kicking off now.[/quote]

Theres some Brit lad, Tony Jeffries fighting now - into the fourth. Presume Egan is next? How will RTE cope if Hession and Egan are on at the same time?

Paddy Barnesā€™ fight is now up on TFKTube - dodgy reception from a coat hanger that lost quality half way through.

what mistakes did i make rockoā€¦apart from calling koe rabbitte pat rabbitteā€¦just because i rate rio ferdinand as a footballer and like paul brady i am being persecutedā€¦god forbid anyone here has a different opinion to the norm around hereā€¦

the admin in boards.ie wouldnā€™t carry on like thatā€¦

Think theyā€™ll just pretend theyā€™re not on simultaneously and go from one straight over to the other and pretend the 200m hasnā€™t been run yet.

[quote=ā€œThe Pukeā€]what mistakes did i make rockoā€¦apart from calling koe rabbitte pat rabbitteā€¦just because i rate rio ferdinand as a footballer and like paul brady i am being persecutedā€¦god forbid anyone here has a different opinion to the norm around hereā€¦

the admin in boards.ie wouldnā€™t carry on like thatā€¦[/quote]

http://www.thefreekick.com/vbforum/showpost.php?p=65162&postcount=523

Jeesā€¦ they are going to try and cover Boxing, the 200M and the Juggling at the same time as per Mr Collins. I didnt even know Juggling was an olympic sportā€¦

Egan is on. Starting aggressively on the front foot but no score yet.

Egan off the mark. 1-0

Second point for Egan. Well in control but just 2-0. Well 3-0 now and end of round. Cracking start.

Super stuff so far by soundsā€¦