The Olympics

Good. Fuckers arent there to be drinking.

The BBC studio is very impressive. Tokyo is such a visually exciting city.

Must be nice to look out at when locked in your room for 12 hours a day.

4 Likes

It would drive you demented. I’d have gone over if we’d not had the whole Covid thing.

Would drive me round the twist. Was there around 10 years ago for a week. A taste, visual and aural shock to the senses in a great way and lads stuck in a shoebox hotel room gawping out the window at it.

5 Likes

sounds like a right laugh

1 Like

blade runner GIF

1 Like

You’d be locked up and sent home for having a glass of sake with your sashimi

Damien O Meara was on the radio this morning from Tokyo talking about what it was like to be covering this Olympics. It sounded absolutely miserable. He’s living on MacDonalds delivered to his hotel room. You get 5 chicken nuggets instead of 6 in Japan because 6 is an unlucky number.

2 Likes

This looks fairly miserable too

Looking forward to the Swimming, Athletics and badminton.

1 Like

Opening ceremony underway and t he order of teams to walk on went
Greece - The Fugees - Iceland - Ourselves
then they went through A’s but not alphabetically.

Are the Icelanders and us close with the Japanese or something?

edit, never mind, they’ve jumped from Andorra to Yemen

Might be using Japanese names alphabetically?

2 Likes

That’s it.

it is a grotesque spectacle, no crowds, and all the athletes wearing gimp masks

That was a very nice, understated opening ceremony, particularly the latter part. The 2,000 drones forming the Tokyo Olympic logo and changing into a globe was quietly spectacular. The human pictogram segment was entertaining and beautifully done. Lovely to see the great Naomi Osaka lighting the flame.

snowflake handled the flame?

Ronnie Delaney interviewed on Newstalk there earlier. I’d say if he was chocolate he’d eat himself

1 Like

Ronnie has earned his roll out every 4 years tbf

1 Like

At this stage every one stands a high chance of being his last. He’s done well to last the five years since 2016.

Monika and Aileen seemed to be way out of sync there. Disappointing for the Killorglin/Poland combo. Off to the reperchage. Doyle and Byrne found redemption in there earlier