The Panama Papers

This seems like the type of topic that deserves its own thread. A bunch of investigative journos including some from the Times have ‘uncovered’ an offshore web of the world’s elite earners. I doubt anyone will be too surprised but some Irish people will be implicated in the coming days.

@Sidney - this seems like the type of thing that you’d love to read and summarise for the rest of us

1 Like

Two irish linked companies so far I believe, pegasus and intertrade. Pegasus is a tcsp, I believe they’re known as. Basically a shelf company which provides various functions like an office and directors for foreign companies looking to hide trade.

1. Bullet points please. Names and crimes.
  2. Does this affect Limerick GAA ?
5 Likes
  1. It’s not good for Putin or Messi
  2. It will if they figure out JP’s web

Pegasus is that investment firm that FOTF Mick Wallace challenged head on.

Is that not “Cerebus” or something like that, pal?

You’re right. I got that one wrong. Sorry for any confusion everyone.

This could be the moment @Rintintin has been waiting for

2 Likes

1.They got a load of documentation to show how loads of the world’s super rich use dodgy companies in tax havens to switch cash all over the place to avoid tax and keep it sneaky.
2. Not really. I’d say JP has his own dodgy network for this himself, as opposed to using other people’s shelf companies.

I think you may have purplemonkeydishwashered that.

1 Like

They’re not dodgey schemes .

Is this the old evasion vs avoidance conundrum that gives Tax Accountants a savage horn?

1 Like

Tax planning. Why pay more than one has to?

Some of them most certainly are dodgy. Some are the absolute sneakiest of dodgy businesses.

Has @dancarter been mentioned in the piece?

It wouldn’t be @dancarter himself who would be mentioned. It’d be the schmuck he used as a nominee shareholder, for a fee of course. Let’s call him @dandage maybe.

6 Likes

Whats your opinion on me, as self employed, just continually buying stuff for the businesss and not paying myself a wage, using cash to pay my bills and survive but basically saving little or nothing. Have been getting advice along these lines from a couple of very successful self employed businessmen. Kills the tax you pay i realise to a certaim degree, but still better than saving in their opinion.

1 Like

PM of Iceland has resigned over this